Tactics Help with Haven

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 25 Oct 2011, 22:17

Yeah, I've been trying to get light magic. I ran into the level cap last game, so I'm going to get more light magic in the 2nd mission.

I still don't know what you mean about telling if a unit is ranged before you enter the battle. Yes, I know you can find this out after the battle is started, but this is information that you want when you decide which units to field.

It's not so much of a problem now that I'm getting to know the units better, but this definitely an issue with the game design - I kind of think we should be able to get all of this info before even go into the battle map. I just find myself entering the battle, right-clicking everything to see what it is, then I reload my game and field the units that are good against it and don't field the units that will just die needlessly. I do this all the time, and I'm going to bet most other people do too at first.

As for taking losses, what I'd like actually is for the game to Rank my battle - similar to some other games. For example, if you did it perfectly, you get an S rank. If you did a really great job, you get an "A", and so on all the way to F.

That's something they absolutely put in these games.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 25 Oct 2011, 22:27

Oh I misunderstood you about telling if someone is an archer or not. Unfortunately no, you can't really tell that without entering the battle first, unless you right click to get their name, then look up their stats online or in a guide book.

The only ranking the game does is after a campaign is over. It's based on things such as how fast you complete the missions.

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 25 Oct 2011, 23:33

ShadowLiberal wrote:Oh I misunderstood you about telling if someone is an archer or not. Unfortunately no, you can't really tell that without entering the battle first, unless you right click to get their name, then look up their stats online or in a guide book.
Yeah, this is what I thought. This is bad design to me. They should change MM6 to have it so you don't need to look things up or guess or restart your game.
ShadowLiberal wrote:The only ranking the game does is after a campaign is over. It's based on things such as how fast you complete the missions.
Well, that's less useful for learning and more for an achievement. I think battle rankings would make this series much better. I think it's a perfect fit. I mean, it would give small incremental rewards that you're doing things correctly. That way if you get a B, you might say to yourself, "Wow, I guess I could have done that better. Let me see if I can." This is certainly better than playing for an entire day and seeing what your score was for the entire campaign.

Anyway, I beat mission 2. I'm on to mission 3 ;)

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 25 Oct 2011, 23:48

Well look at the difficulty ratings for each battle, and use that to determine how well you should do.

If you win a normal difficulty fight with no losses consider it a big win.

If you win a hard difficulty battle without major losses consider it a win if there's no serious threats nearby.

If you win a No Chance difficulty battle with zero losses consider yourself a Heroes 5 god.

I've already won No Chance battles with one tier 1 unit against an army of tier 6 or 7 units through Summoning & Dark magic.

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 26 Oct 2011, 01:44

Is there any way to dodge the attack by the Elf hero where he shoots an arrow and kills a really expensive unit? I chose 4 nightmares as my bonus unit, and I can't seem to defeat the first garrison without losing one of the nightmares :(

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 26 Oct 2011, 01:59

No, as I recall that is just what his autoattack looks like (remember AI heroes get to attack when they show up on the ATB bar just like yours does).

If you can win without deploying the nightmares, then there is your solution.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 26 Oct 2011, 02:04

Who gets the first, second, etc turn in battle is somewhat random. If you restart the mission you may get lucky and be able to pound Gilraen badly enough for him to retreat without attacking.

If you're playing on Normal difficulty however, you probably won't be able to beat Gilraen up enough to run without attacking, as the computer is slower to run away from a hopeless battle on lower difficulties. Don't think that hard or Heroic will be easier for you because of that however, because the computer builds much larger armies on tougher difficulties.

Enemy heroes running away too soon is the one thing that really annoys me on Hard difficulty in heroes 5. I've already had the computer run away from battles on Hard difficulty that I wasn't even sure if I could win or not.

Mission #3 is the hardest mission in Agrael's campaign, mission #3 tends to be the hardest mission in a lot of the campaigns (mission #3 is definitely the hardest in the Undead and Dungeon campaign, and in the Sylvan campaign to I think). Things will get easier once you get past the first hurdle in mission #4.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 26 Oct 2011, 05:46

@mysticc, hope you don't stuck on this one for couple of days. :D

Also in building Agrael, take in consideration Urgash's Call... instant Gating is freaking pain in the @ss. :devil:

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 26 Oct 2011, 14:53

I managed to beat the first garrison battle without losing a nightmare. I only lost about 13 imps and 16 familiars in total, which is probably acceptable. I don't know how I could possibly do any better than that.

There's one battle after you took over the first sylvan town against the druids guarding the wood. I lost 35 familiars always. I have no idea how to prevent this. I can't cast any spells or use enough units before they die. That's the most familiars I've lost in any battle (mostly, I lose nothing other than the very first battle at the garrison).

Anyway, I think I'm doing okay so far. I'm going into week 3 and ready to take out the second town.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 26 Oct 2011, 15:10

You'll have to switch to Sylvan army, eventually (obligatory); just sayin'. ;)

Avoid fighting Druids in case it's not some mine or really powerful artifact. They are pain in the ass most of the time...

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 26 Oct 2011, 20:03

Yeah, it was weird to switch to the sylvan army. I was just sort of getting used to the inferno army. Well, the sylvan army just wrecked everything. Beat it in a few hours. 22 emerald dragons ftw? :P

I'm on to mission 4. I think I'm getting the hang of things now. I hope my success continues ;)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”