Forts worth converting?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Forts worth converting?

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 24 Oct 2011, 16:28

Is there any actual benefit of converting forts?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 24 Oct 2011, 16:48

Achievements :D

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 24 Oct 2011, 18:13

I think forts come with a moat when assaulted, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the abilities of your moat change depending on your faction?

If so, that'd be the sole benefit I could think off - you'd have your own factions moat when defending a fort against a siege. Which I guess is a seriously minor thing, but hey, some people might've based their strategies around defending cities and forts and have more benefit from their own moat because it slows/dispels/whatever, right?

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 24 Oct 2011, 18:25

Can you town portal to a fort that is of a different race?
Can you convert dwellings in the area of control of the fort?
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 24 Oct 2011, 18:35

As far as I remember, forts have no moat, only walls (level 1). In a proper town, a moat is added when you build level 2 city walls, towers for level 3.

So converting forts would be a waste of resources.
Can you town portal to a fort that is of a different race?
Can you convert dwellings in the area of control of the fort?
I believe the answer to both questions is yes.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 24 Oct 2011, 18:35

Forts of your own faction give you more gold per day, check the fort's income before and after you convert it. I think it's 500 for your own fort and 250 for any other. Since it's about 1500 gold to convert a fort, it would pay for itself after a week.

As for town portal, I'm pretty sure you can.

You can convert the dwellings and you have to, because otherwise you'd just produce some units you don't use and they won't be sent to your town either. Don't ask me how many units I've lost because I forgot to re-convert a dwelling...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 24 Oct 2011, 18:47

Ell1e wrote:Forts of your own faction give you more gold per day, check the fort's income before and after you convert it. I think it's 500 for your own fort and 250 for any other. Since it's about 1500 gold to convert a fort, it would pay for itself after a week.
Oh really? So conversion isn't pointless after all. I still would not do it though, as wood and ore are much more precious in this game than gold, unless I were already rolling in resources, but then what would be the point anyway?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

wneubert
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wneubert » 25 Oct 2011, 17:26

Well, the gold your fort makes can be used to buy the other resources. The prices get pretty cheap with marketplaces and marketplace talent.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Oct 2011, 17:55

I was under the impression that same alignment forts also boosted a bit of core unit weekly growth, or perhaps they just make it available to hire units from dwellings in their zone? I don't know this.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Oct 2011, 19:23

Panda Tar wrote: ..or perhaps they just make it available to hire units from dwellings in their zone? I don't know this.
Right, I think.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 25 Oct 2011, 20:14

Too be honest forts aren't very useful the way they are now. You can only hire un-upgraded core troops from them. Like already mentioned converting is expensive and has little reward.

I would like a fort to be like a mini town, which you can upgrade.
Like being able to build core dwellings inside it. And upgrading the defenses to citadel/castle.
You can build a town portal inside it allowing you to travel to cities through it.
You can make a building which allows you to hire elite and champion units from it, if you are able to hire them of course.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 26 Oct 2011, 11:59

Well, adding some Zoning capacities to a fort would be good, imho. Like if you have control over a fort, on that zone, all armies within that area (neutral creatures) could become completely hostile against any opposing hero (so they wouldn't join or so easily diplomatic). Increases 1 or 2 movement points to heroes in that area due their "knowledge" of local terrain under control. Well, things like that.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 27 Oct 2011, 08:44

Panda Tar wrote:Well, adding some Zoning capacities to a fort would be good, imho. Like if you have control over a fort, on that zone, all armies within that area (neutral creatures) could become completely hostile against any opposing hero (so they wouldn't join or so easily diplomatic). Increases 1 or 2 movement points to heroes in that area due their "knowledge" of local terrain under control. Well, things like that.
I like this idea. If you controll a zone you should be able to build/flag things that give you bonus'.
Owning a zone could make neutral creatures completely hostile to enemies not owning the zone. Buildings in fort/town that give zone boosts like move speed, snatch ability, magic bonus, def bonus, -move points to enemies and more. And maybe make it multible choice, meaning you can't get all, but can choose to build x amount of buildings out of X. This would add a new layer of depth to defending you zones.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”