Pronunciation of "Igor"

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Pronunciation of "Igor"

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 24 Oct 2011, 03:12

Playing Haven II and heard some Igor's name pronounced as "eye-gor" instead of "yee-gor". Do people actually use the first pronunciation?

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 24 Oct 2011, 03:30

No. Likewise, "Eye-rina" is an error. The Russian version corrected this.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 24 Oct 2011, 06:08

"Eye-irina" is just a different type of transciption. For instance, here in Russia, we pronounce Harold as "Garold". "Eye-gor" could also be correct when the name is translatd to English.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 24 Oct 2011, 06:24

I doubt it. Names should be pronounced the same way as in their language of origin. (For example, Mukao is pronounced Moo-kah-o, even though if it was an English name, it would be pronounced Mew-kei-o). The translation of the English and German initial H as G is a historical Russian translation tradition. Here, they have no excuse.

In any case, the names should be pronounced consistently. As it stands, for example, Irina is variously pronounced as Eye-rina and Ee-rina.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Oct 2011, 08:16

Sikon wrote:Names should be pronounced the same way as in their language of origin.
Yes, but it is not always done in practice. See various city names, for instance: in English, Moskva is pronounced Moscow, Napoli Naples, Roma Rome, Venezia Venice. If we can accept that, I don't see the big problem.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 24 Oct 2011, 09:54

Pronouncing the name as in its original language may be nigh impossible for someone else. For example in my language, apart from a few syllables and foreignisms, every letter is said the same way, no matter the word. Unlike the English, where for example "c" in "car" is pronounced differently as in "cease" (and we pronounce it differently anyways). And I know (off top of my head) of several words, which can be quite a tongue-twister for someone who is used to his spelling (not to mention that even after pronouncing it properly, it will sound very weird at best).

And when you mention many names in many languages, god forbid in another alphabets, that's IMO quite a challenge for an average Joe.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 24 Oct 2011, 11:07

Pronunciation is just a matter of preference. I pronounce my own name differently depending on which language I speak.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 24 Oct 2011, 12:29

Kalah wrote:
Sikon wrote:Names should be pronounced the same way as in their language of origin.
Yes, but it is not always done in practice. See various city names, for instance: in English, Moskva is pronounced Moscow, Napoli Naples, Roma Rome, Venezia Venice. If we can accept that, I don't see the big problem.
This, my dear friend, is what we call tradition. These are all very old cities, whose names came into English in roundabout ways. When naming a newly founded city, or one that's only a few decades old, you would name it the same way as in its original language (in accordance to the usually accepted transliteration rules).

To my knowledge, the Slavic names Igor and Irina are traditionally pronounced in English roughly as in Russian: with "i" as in "it". I have no more tolerance for Aygor and Ayrina than for "Slava Pavelov" (presumably Ubihole didn't get Russian patronymics right, which made me cringe).

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 24 Oct 2011, 13:22

Sikon wrote:I have no more tolerance for Aygor and Ayrina than for "Slava Pavelov" (presumably Ubihole didn't get Russian patronymics right, which made me cringe).
Just a question: How should he be named then? Slava Pavelovich?

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 24 Oct 2011, 14:26

Pavlovich. Well, if you want to be really precise, Slava is a diminutive form, odd for a mature man, so it should be something like Vyacheslav Pavlovich. The Russian translation avoided patronymics altogether, instead saying "Vyacheslav, son of Pavel".

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 24 Oct 2011, 16:26

Sikon wrote:Pavlovich. Well, if you want to be really precise, Slava is a diminutive form, odd for a mature man, so it should be something like Vyacheslav Pavlovich. The Russian translation avoided patronymics altogether, instead saying "Vyacheslav, son of Pavel".
Maybe they are inventing a new Russia with different traditions in Ashan?

By the way, at least they got some of the Russian stuff right compared to the "Asian" mythologies in Sanctuary. As far as I know, they should simply call it "Japanese mythology" because there's nothing really Chinese about that town except for the Kirin and a few hero names.

Two fundamental pillars of Chinese mythology are Buddhism and Taoism but neither concepts were featured. Instead, we got this samurai culture.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 24 Oct 2011, 16:51

Hey, Nagas themselves are from India culture IIRC, so it's not only Manga/Anime Japanese stuff. ;)
But yes, too much samurai, not enough other Asian myths and cultures.
Sikon wrote:The Russian translation avoided patronymics altogether, instead saying "Vyacheslav, son of Pavel".
Same case here: "Slava, son of Pavel".
Thank you for answer.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 24 Oct 2011, 17:28

I cringe every time I hear hillbillies say "Eye-Raq." :ill:

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 24 Oct 2011, 19:40

Avonu wrote:Hey, Nagas themselves are from India culture IIRC, so it's not only Manga/Anime Japanese stuff. ;)
But yes, too much samurai, not enough other Asian myths and cultures.
Sikon wrote:The Russian translation avoided patronymics altogether, instead saying "Vyacheslav, son of Pavel".
Same case here: "Slava, son of Pavel".
Thank you for answer.
Actually, there are "nagas" in oriental cultures (though not being called so). The Gaea-figure in traditional Chinese folk-lore is often portrayed in a style like "Yume" (naga hero in Inferno III).

By the way, what does "Vyacheslav" mean?

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 24 Oct 2011, 19:54

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 25 Oct 2011, 00:30

Why do you talk about names as Russian, the game is Hungarian.
Maybe they use Croatian ,since before WWI kingdom of Hungary included Croatia .
In very old Russia they did call man,whose father was called Michail not Michailovich ,but Michailov . The endings-'ov' was possibly from -Viking Old Norse. It translated as - 'from' or 'of'
Last edited by Edwardas 3 on 25 Oct 2011, 01:02, edited 3 times in total.
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Oct 2011, 00:37

Because most of those are typically Russian names.

Definitely not Croatian, or any other South Slavic language for that matter.

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 25 Oct 2011, 00:43

Are you sure?
Ending -ich like Pavlovich is South Slavic

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Oct 2011, 00:48

That's true, but I was talking about the names as they appear in the game. The only South-Slavic name I've witnessed so far is "Djordje" (Serbian) in the Haven campaign.

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 25 Oct 2011, 00:49

That is interesting because in one multiplayer game I play there is a guy from Croatia and his nick is djurdja

Return to “Heroes V-VI”