Some issues with the Haven campaign

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
arien
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Some issues with the Haven campaign

Unread postby arien » 24 Oct 2011, 02:40

Alright, so here I am, with my brand new HoMM game fresh out of the box, all bright eyes and a grin stretching slightly past my ears after all those years of waiting for the new installment of my favorite game. :-D
The order of the campaign game play seem to be left entirely to my personal preference, so I decide to get things rolling with the Haven campaign, seeing how I've always had a weak spot for the faction and I've already learned some of its ropes from the demo. So far so good, but not even halfway through the missions and I'm already baffled with a number of things... 8|
First and foremost - I'm hopelessly stuck on the 3rd mission, Tempt Not a Desperate Man, where Anton is expected to seek out some engineer to get an advice how to break through the Sanctuary Gate. I'm pretty sure that's just me, but I've already revealed all accessible areas of the map, captured everything that's prone to capturing, killed everything that can be killed and then spent an hour exploring every inch of the terrain on which the horse could be persuaded to trod on and still can't spot the engineer's mansion... I'm assuming it's either well hidden or there is some entrance or crevice I've failed to notice, so if someone has been down that road already, I would very much appreciate any clues where to look for the blasted thing. ;|
I also seem to be experiencing an extensive list of weird bugs, some of them have already had a mention in other threads (like Imperial Griffins doing no harm whatsoever to their victims through Diving Assault and Sun Riders delivering no additional damage in regards to length of traveled distance to the target). Along with those, I also seem to be a pioneer in some other buggy areas I've heard nothing about elsewhere - like some of the minor sub-quests not resolving and thus providing me with no rewards, despite sprouting all necessary check marks for their requirements. Or the Guardian Angel shield suddenly disappearing within the same turn it was cast in, which has been the cause for replays of more battles than I'd care to count without swearing... Not that I expect any help with those, outside of Ubisoft, that is, I just had to rant. :devious:

Mhorhe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mhorhe » 24 Oct 2011, 08:17

The Snakes in Heaven quest doesn't complete for me either, and for others as well as far as I know. So you're not alone in that particular grief :)

Guardian shield disappearing.. no, can't say that I have stumbled on that one. I hope it's just the extra morale eating up the turn, or something, otherwise I'm at a loss..

Now, the Architect's mansion. It's directly to the SW of the central town, Wolfswood (?) I think. From those town gates go left, then south, then left. The mansion is there, behind a pair of closed Haven gates - which will open when you approach.

Behind is an Inferno hero with a decent army - for reasons that elude me and have not been explained in any way.

Also, do you crash? I do, extensively :(

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 24 Oct 2011, 10:14

Have you looked at the kingdom overview screen? The location of most quests is marked there. It is somewhere in the middle of the map, roughly, I missed that area as well; there is a sanctuary town there and I kept wondering why the naga heroes keep coming back when I have captured all of their cities.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 24 Oct 2011, 14:12

The Guardian Angel disappearing is caused by the extra turn from high morale. I've had it happen too and it was always on a second turn. It still eats up the enemy's counterattack, so most of the time it worked as intended, but it would be nice if this buff actually stuck around for the full turn even with high morale. Not sure if it's a bug or not.

I finished Necropolis before starting Haven and it's definitely been less buggy.

arien
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby arien » 24 Oct 2011, 19:08

Thanks for your timely replies, everyone! I had some suspicions about that gated structure SW of Wolfswood, but since nothing was happening when I approached it, I assumed that could not be the mansion. On the bright side of things - at least now I know what I am looking for, on the negative though it would appear that I'll have to restart the scenario, as the main quest is terminally flawed by this bug. :mad:
On the subject of the Guardian Angel thing - true enough, it only happens when the unit it's inflicted upon gets a second go through a good morale bonus, as the shield always disappears after the second strike. However, I'm fairly certain that's still a bug and not a feature, as it only happens once in a while, it doesn't act the same every time a protected stack gets morale. Moreover, the skill description implies that the shield should be valid until the end of the turn, regardless of how many actions the unit performs within it.
I know that lots of people have been complaining about frequent game crashes, but so far I have yet to experience one of those myself. That leads me to believe this is more of a hardware issue - something in the PC build not handling the game as intended, or probably a driver conflict of some sort...
In conclusion - I've been with the HoMM series ever since the second installment and although none of them have been completely issue free upon release, number 6 easily gets the Golden Bug trophy, no serious competition there. I really wish the developers had consider delaying the game even further, the state it was released in is a complete disgrace. 8|

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 24 Oct 2011, 19:35

I think the shield will disappear if the second action is anything other than Wait or Defend. I'll have to test this. It certainly always disappeared today when I used my second turn to attack.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”