Will they get rid of uplay?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 23 Oct 2011, 15:15

After reading some reviews, it seems that this game is actually really great. Every online reviewer is basically deducting 1-2 points from a score out of 10 because of it (and fans are giving it 0/10 or 2/10 because of it).

Seems like a real shame because the mechanics, streamlining, graphics, art design, etc. all seem like they've improved by the looks of it. The art design is especially good. The look of the armors and buildings has a very HOMM feel to it still, but it looks even more unique compared to other fantasy games than they used to.

I've heard the voice acting was bad, but it was never exactly any good in the previous games, so it's kind of what I expected honestly. No biggy.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 23 Oct 2011, 16:40

Well to piggyback on your question, are all of the campaign scenarios fully playable while offline? I know there is added content if you play with a connection, but other than that can the game be played to completion? I will still not buy until the campaign editor is released but it would suck to be forced online to finish.

To your question, I suspect two or three years from or about a year after the last expansion a patch for those who have bought it and a fully independent version will be available to purchase for those who haven't. I can't see UBI maintaining server space indefinitely.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 23 Oct 2011, 17:13

jeff wrote:Well to piggyback on your question, are all of the campaign scenarios fully playable while offline? I know there is added content if you play with a connection, but other than that can the game be played to completion? I will still not buy until the campaign editor is released but it would suck to be forced online to finish.
You can play and finish the campaigns normally without being online. You are only deprived of these dynasty weapons, which to be honest, I don't give a rat's hiney about.

The real problem with campaigns is not the online connection, but the number of glitches. So far they have not been "fatal", but persisting problems with 'week of...' effects may prove to be just that.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 23 Oct 2011, 17:55

jeff wrote: To your question, I suspect two or three years from or about a year after the last expansion a patch for those who have bought it and a fully independent version will be available to purchase for those who haven't. I can't see UBI maintaining server space indefinitely.
Or they can just pull the plug on the servers and say: "Dear players, either buy our new MM:H game for full game experience or go f**k yourselves".
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 23 Oct 2011, 18:25

If you think the English voice acting is bad, you should hear the Russian version. It really seems like the Russian VAs didn't even care the slightest bit about the text they were asked to read out.

Maybe it's because I'm a Russian, but I think the English voice acting is okay. Not great, just okay.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 23 Oct 2011, 18:27

klaymen wrote:
jeff wrote: To your question, I suspect two or three years from or about a year after the last expansion a patch for those who have bought it and a fully independent version will be available to purchase for those who haven't. I can't see UBI maintaining server space indefinitely.
Or they can just pull the plug on the servers and say: "Dear players, either buy our new MM:H game for full game experience or go f**k yourselves".
That sounded more like EA than Ubisoft to me. :D Anyway, I *cough* hope *cough* that's really not the case. At least Ubisoft has shown that they can remove all their DRM in some of their games (Anno 1404, Settlers VI, Tribes of the East, etc). We can hope, right? Right!? :sceptic:
mysticc wrote:I've heard the voice acting was bad, but it was never exactly any good in the previous games, so it's kind of what I expected honestly. No biggy.
H4's narration was solid.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 23 Oct 2011, 19:26

What are the dynasty weapons and other features you get while being connected online? Are they immensely powerful buffs that make it possible to beat the game, or just small extras? What if you want to play this on a laptop not connected to the internet? What then?

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 23 Oct 2011, 19:35

Then you don't get to use the dynasty bonuses. To me they don't seem so powerful that their absence should be game breaking...
I'd go one step further and say it was good! :)
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Oct 2011, 20:20

Metathron wrote:Then you don't get to use the dynasty bonuses. To me they don't seem so powerful that their absence should be game breaking...
I'd go one step further and say it was good! :)
I would go even further and say it consisted of about 10 minutes of speech in total, and if we mention addons, then I think they made everyone concerned if their sound card is alive when it came to second(and further) mission briefings.
There is heavy difference if you must record speech of whole ensemble of characters or just short monologue in beginning of mission. There is no way you can compare homm2-4 speech to homm5/6. That's different ammount and different scale. (still no denying that in homm5 it was lame at many parts)

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 25 Oct 2011, 15:26

They did have better writing in Heroes 2-4, especially 4.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 25 Oct 2011, 16:19

Sikon wrote:If you think the English voice acting is bad, you should hear the Russian version. It really seems like the Russian VAs didn't even care the slightest bit about the text they were asked to read out.

Maybe it's because I'm a Russian, but I think the English voice acting is okay. Not great, just okay.
The dialogues are "okay". I find the NPC's have much better voice-acting than the PC's. Miranda, Goink, and Katsue come to mind. eye-rina has possibly the worst voice-acting by far.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”