Simple Questions Simple Answers thread

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 26 Nov 2011, 11:54

peta62 wrote:
wimfrits wrote:(just got the game)

How can I disable the automatic placements of units on the battlefield, disregarding the order of stacks in the hero window?
Tactic skill lets you do that but you do not see enemy stacks, I have not found any other way. I want to put it on the wish list.
It depends on your settings or such I think. Tactics is 'bugged'. If you move your units around within the first two-three seconds of a fight you will see the initiative arrows at your enemy's positions. Sometimes if you make huge changes in your tactics setup you'll see them fly around and change position as well. By keeping an eye out for those arrows seeping through you can predict where your enemy will place his units.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 26 Nov 2011, 12:18

peta62 wrote:Tactic skill lets you do that but you do not see enemy stacks, I have not found any other way. I want to put it on the wish list.
Ouch!
So tactics is a game-breaking skill. That's bad.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 26 Nov 2011, 14:45

wimfrits wrote: Ouch!
Hi Wimfrits, I have pretty much decided to pass on H-6, but I will be very interested in your impression of the game.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 26 Nov 2011, 16:07

wimfrits wrote:Ouch!
I wouldn't go that far, the automatic placement is usually much smarter than in H5. I haven't skilled Tactics on any hero yet because I never felt the need for it, and unless I want the upgraded version that allows you to place your troops in the first three rows I probably won't.

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 26 Nov 2011, 19:03

Ell1e wrote:
wimfrits wrote:Ouch!
I wouldn't go that far, the automatic placement is usually much smarter than in H5. I haven't skilled Tactics on any hero yet because I never felt the need for it, and unless I want the upgraded version that allows you to place your troops in the first three rows I probably won't.
I would prefer to do it by myself by placing in hero slots as in H3. I think that is what wimfrits referred to.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 26 Nov 2011, 20:38

Exactly. The choice of slots already is half of combat tactics. If H6 tactics only brought a hero slot / battlefield link, it would already be a no-brainer.
Now a single ability say.. triples your combat potential. 8|

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 26 Nov 2011, 21:07

Ell1e wrote:I wouldn't go that far, the automatic placement is usually much smarter than in H5. I haven't skilled Tactics on any hero yet because I never felt the need for it, and unless I want the upgraded version that allows you to place your troops in the first three rows I probably won't.
No, it's horrible. At least advanced tactics often see melee units placed in the back row. And it's made even worse since the game does not remember your last formation.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 27 Nov 2011, 14:03

But if you have advanced Tactics you can place your units yourself? I don't see the problem with the computer setup in this case. But yeah, it sucks that the game doesn't remember your last setup and it's actually the main reason why I don't skill tactics. Manually setting my troops every time for a fight that's over in one turn is annoying, so as long as I can win battles with no losses with the automatic placement, it works for me.

Another question here, is it possible to unlock the secondary campaign heroes (the blood/tears aligned ones that join you) as dynasty heroes? Mainly asking because of the Sanctuary tears hero, he has my silk sword assigned and I'm kind of hoping that if I got him, that stupid weapon would actually show up in my dynasty.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 27 Nov 2011, 14:10

I don't think so Ell1e.

On another note in regards to tactics and unit placement: I don't suppose there's a way to make your game remember your setup? Whenever I fight a battle as Stronghold it randomly places my units all over the place, and I manually have to put the Centaurs in one corner, the Goblins in the other, box the latter in, etc. It's not a huge hassle, but it would be nice if I only had to do that setup once for as long as my army composition didn't change.

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 27 Nov 2011, 17:00

Logic placing shooters into the first line is just plain stupid. In any normal army in history units are even during travel or rest positioned reasonably if there is any chance to be attacked. So in my opinion units should be placed according to hero slots. Tactics skill should be used for further advantages like more forward unit placing or reacting on enemy positions. Just my opinion.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 27 Nov 2011, 19:10

@peta62: I agree.
And I honestly can't understand how this feat passed the beta test.
jeff wrote:Hi Wimfrits, I have pretty much decided to pass on H-6, but I will be very interested in your impression of the game.
After playing 1 map ;)
H6 seems a mix between H3 and H5.
I like:
- the adventure map graphics
- the (new) fully customisable heroes
- the (new) in-game dialog message boxes where you see the 2 involved heroes left and right of the text. Can be nice in mapmaking

I don't like:
- spells as skills. The whole magic guild part of the game is gone
- currently unbalanced skills
- sloppy errors like right clicking a sawmill showing that it produces 1 wood per day (instead of 2). Did no-one pick this out in testing??

I have doubts about:
- the hero-screen complexity caused by customisable heroes
- I have a feeling that diversity in hero stats of different factions is dumbed down by the might/magic distinction

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 28 Nov 2011, 18:45

Where do you keep finding the front-line shooters? The only shooters I've ever seen placed in the front row are the upgraded Haven shooters. When I first saw them I thought this weird too, but it certainly makes sense given that they shoot through your own units.

Let's say for example that your shooters are in the lower corner of the field and there's some 2x2 creature like the Sun Crusaders directly next to them. If they're in the back row, you can't attack anything that's not directly in front of you without hitting your Crusaders as well, unless you want to waste a Guardian Angel on them. Front row placement greatly increases your hit area. And, yes, before anybody starts harping on that, of course there are ways to prevent this and still keep your shooters in the back row, all I'm saying is it makes a lot of sense and I'm just too lazy to manually place my troops all the time, so until the placement actually gets saved I see no reason to skill Tactics.

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 28 Nov 2011, 19:38

Ell1e wrote:Where do you keep finding the front-line shooters? The only shooters I've ever seen placed in the front row are the upgraded Haven shooters. When I first saw them I thought this weird too, but it certainly makes sense given that they shoot through your own units.

Let's say for example that your shooters are in the lower corner of the field and there's some 2x2 creature like the Sun Crusaders directly next to them. If they're in the back row, you can't attack anything that's not directly in front of you without hitting your Crusaders as well, unless you want to waste a Guardian Angel on them. Front row placement greatly increases your hit area. And, yes, before anybody starts harping on that, of course there are ways to prevent this and still keep your shooters in the back row, all I'm saying is it makes a lot of sense and I'm just too lazy to manually place my troops all the time, so until the placement actually gets saved I see no reason to skill Tactics.
I think I have seen them shooting "over the shoulder" of some their units, I am almost sure with Pretorians.

I still think there should be clear relationship between position in heroes slots and on the battlefield. Now it is totally random, units are reshuffled for each battle.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Nov 2011, 20:35

Yes, I think that they can shoot past any unit placed right next to them. To bad you have to figure this out on your own.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 28 Nov 2011, 22:11

Gaidal Cain wrote:Yes, I think that they can shoot past any unit placed right next to them. To bad you have to figure this out on your own.
Thanks for confirmation and yes, it should be documented somewhere. It is too late when you see your own units in casualty box of just prepared shot.

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 28 Nov 2011, 22:25

...They CAN?

Dear game,
instead of explaining to me that by picking up this pile of wood, one unit of wood will be added to my storage and repeating this explanation for each resource, how about giving me actual useful information like this?
Thanks.

Oh well, the worst annoyance with those guys is still protecting a unit with Guardian Angel so you can shoot through them and kill the last enemy stack, only to realize too late that your Praetorians are right next to the protected unit and do their damage absorption thing.

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 30 Nov 2011, 18:11

Damn, it seems Necro units can't use the Heroism skill/spell.
Any other skills I should NOT be getting with Necro, because they don't work?
The Heroism skill is supposed to boost Morale + Luck and also grant more damage. Can't it just skip the Morale part and boost the other ones? It seems I lost a skill point for nothing...
May the Implosion be with you!

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 01 Dec 2011, 12:40

Naki wrote:Damn, it seems Necro units can't use the Heroism skill/spell.
Any other skills I should NOT be getting with Necro, because they don't work?
The Heroism skill is supposed to boost Morale + Luck and also grant more damage. Can't it just skip the Morale part and boost the other ones? It seems I lost a skill point for nothing...
Why don't you load last save before and pick another skill ?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 01 Dec 2011, 12:56

Naki wrote:Any other skills I should NOT be getting with Necro, because they don't work?
Burning Determination from fire Magic. As Necro doesn't have access to Fire Magic and it increase only Morale, you don't get this skill. Well, maybe only by scroll.
Other useless skills are Life Drain and Agony used against undead or Darkness Elemental (and I asume also against constructs in future addons) - they simply don't work.

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 01 Dec 2011, 15:04

Avonu, I was NOT asking about skills I can't get at all - my question was about skills that are available for picking, but can't be used even if you pick them. If Fire Magic is not available, obviously all skills inside it are not.
Last edited by Naki on 01 Dec 2011, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
May the Implosion be with you!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”