Holy crap, the campaign is hard

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Holy crap, the campaign is hard

Unread postby mysticc » 22 Oct 2011, 22:58

I am stuck on Chapter 1, Mission 5. My army just can't compete with the first red faction's army when he attacks my city.

Any tips to doing well against this? One of his troops with a stack of 5 does insane damage - it can even kill 3 cavaliers in a single attack. Seeing as the cavaliers are my best unit, you can just imagine how everything else fairs...

Help Please? Seems a little unfair (not to mention a big difficulty jump from the last 4 missions).

Thank you.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 23 Oct 2011, 07:04

Here is the main walkthrough page for all H5 maps:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=119

Looking at this particular mission though, there isn't much on this particular battle (and it's been a while since I did this map). As I recall it's a pretty straightforward fight as long as you have mass haste and mass righteous might. Mass units and if possible get a citadel to do most of the damage for you. Nuke ranged units with spells/archers/marksmen (and ballista if you have war machines) and force the melee units to come to you if you can't just charge in and kill everything normally.

What is your current build for Isabel? Normally a heavy might build (light, attack, leadership, luck) works pretty well for Haven. Yes this is a huge difficulty jump from the first 4 missions where the opposition was negligible, so it would help to know what you are currently using.

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 23 Oct 2011, 08:46

Thanks for the walkthroughs. I'm sure I'll find them helpful!

I think the problem that I have is that nobody has spells like mass haste and mass righteous might. In fact, I'm not using any spells at all. Do I even have time to build the spell buildings that far to get them?

If I needed these spells from earlier missions, should I just play through them from the beginning? I didn't know it was so important to 'build' them. I don't even remember which things I picked for Isabel.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 23 Oct 2011, 15:14

Hi mysticc and welcome to the round table.
Usually when you've reached the 5th level of a campaing your hero should be fairly well developed aka have some useful skills/spells. You can always see what skills you picked by double clicking on your hero's avatar.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 23 Oct 2011, 17:29

Yeah, it turned out that I just picked random stuff, not realizing it was a build and not realizing that some skills were prerequisites of others. So, she was actually really all over the place.

So, I'm starting over and I'm on mission 4. This time I actually did it a bit better. I went with Luck, Leadership, Light, Dark and War Machines.

I think another problem, perhaps, with my last attempt was that I had Godric being the main hero. I read somewhere that you should level up him and put the army with him, but if the hero level is really important, there's no way he can defend against that first attack.

Also, I saw a video walkthrough of 1-5, but the guy just skipped all the battles. Sometimes tells me he would have lost the battle if he actually fought it.
Last edited by mysticc on 23 Oct 2011, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 23 Oct 2011, 19:25

That is a pretty strong build, and you should do fine. You don't need to use Godric at any time in this campaign, some people do, but it is usually after Isabel knocks the first wave back herself.

I like war machines for haven campaigns, especially after you get the ballista skill as it is free damage with little risk to any of your own troops.
Last edited by Arret on 23 Oct 2011, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 23 Oct 2011, 19:28

Yeah, the upgraded ballista is amazing. I have expert in the skill and the balista skill and I've got a ton of free kills so far with it. I'm sure I was quite gimped by not having this in my first campaign playthrough.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 23 Oct 2011, 19:42

By the way, you might want to check out the skill wheel if you don't have it, which has all the various paths to get skills. I believe it is shipped under the "Fan Documents" in your HoMM5 folder.

If you don't, take a look here.
http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=520

Return to “Heroes V-VI”