One last wish, please hear me out

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 5475
Joined: 27 Aug 2006

One last wish, please hear me out

Postby Elvin » Oct 19 2011, 15:48

Monday, the day I join the army draws close so this is my last chance to do something meaningful for the community. I also have one last request for you, anyone willing to spend a little time to help me out.

Amazon and metacritic have an infestation of trolls that give 0/5 or 1/5 for the game on the grounds that there are no Black Dragons, that square grids have replaced the hexes or that there is no tactics phase when combat starts. There are of course more valid complaints about real bugs and issues but even that does not begin to justify such grades, these people are simply pissed and taking a dump on the game just because they can. And along with them, all the people who worked hard on it. You may tell me, big deal, trolls have been even in previous titles. But now the ratings are there to stay.

I have a feeling that amazon and especially metacritic have a big role to play on ubi's future decisions and I fear what may come if we let them have their way. When I started the fans for heroes campaign I did it with the honest belief that this game deserves better and knowing it can be improved, from me, from you. What I ask of you if to take a short amount of time to write a sincere review about what this game really deserves. If you believe it deserves an 7 give it 7, if you believe it's an 8 give it 8 but please do not let its future be compromised by such blabbering idiots who do it for teh lulz. It is not fair and it CAN hurt the game.

---

Now some details: Metacritic forms its score out of the total reviews posted, negative, mixed or positive. You can find its current score here, which is also where you can submit a review. All it asks for is a mere 150 words minimum and it doesn't take longer than 15 secs to register. If you do write a short review or if you have already written one whether in a blog or this very forum you could also post it on Amazon. For instance here, here, here, or here.

Can you take 10 mins of your time and write a fair review? I would appreciate that. I will start writing one and hope to see more follow my example. Perhaps this way we will get the 2 expansions with 2 factions each, one can only hope :)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

User avatar
klaymen
Hunter
Hunter
Posts: 527
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Piestany (Slovakia)

Postby klaymen » Oct 19 2011, 16:36

I'll be honest with you. Anyone who takes Metacritic or Amazon ratings into consideration, be it a Ubisoft manager or average Joe deciding whether to buy something or not, is a friggin' moron.

No, I am not implying that gaming magazines or websites are any better (in fact, I don't take any ratings into consideration and I take reviews with a grain of salt), heck even EA in Norway got recently caught with their pants down in their dirty buiness, trying to pick reviewers who were most inclined to write good things about Battlefield 3. Also, fighting against Metacritic/Amazon trolls is like Don Quixote's fight against windmills. Many games suffered it, though for example someone from Bioware was accused of giving 10/10 rating to Dragon Age 2, the very game he worked on.

Also unless many ratings, not matter how honest they are, will be 10/10, they won't help that much in the total Metacritic score.

Disclaimer: even though I have no love for the new Heroes game, I am just stating the obvious. Concerning yourself about anything that "is trollable" by a bunch of people, is just a collosal waste of time.

Anyone can feel free to hate me for my words.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

User avatar
Pol
Admin
Admin
Posts: 8855
Joined: 29 Nov 2005
Location: IN SOMNIS VERITAS
Contact:

Postby Pol » Oct 19 2011, 16:51

Well, management and Ubi. :D

On my scale the game is worthy of 7.5.

That's under my standards :p but it's a high grade. Well, I don't think that you can learn managers by greasing their decision, great managers either do have vision (& touch with ground) or not. Don't care about trolls, there's always many of following their own herd. They are always forgotten as time goes on..
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

vhilhu
Druid
Druid
Posts: 862
Joined: 13 Aug 2006

Postby vhilhu » Oct 19 2011, 17:09

klaymen wrote:Anyone who takes Metacritic or Amazon ratings into consideration, be it a Ubisoft manager or average Joe deciding whether to buy something or not, is a friggin' moron [...] No, I am not implying that gaming magazines or websites are any better


But how should the "average Joe" decide which games to buy, then? Word of mouth from people you personally know is obviously a much better indicator of quality - but you will ever have that only for a very small subset of games. You can play demos - but you somehow have to make a selection of games the demos of which you will try; for making that selection you still need some other, briefer ratings/recommendations.

Review scores significantly _correlate_ with how "good" the game will seem to you. Even if the correlation is not as exact as you want, then - if you tried ten random games with gamespot review scores of below 6.0 and ten random games with gamespot review scores of above 9.0, then it would be extremely likely that you would overall like the latter better. Calling people who take that correlation into account "friggin' morons" is stupid.

User avatar
Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 125
Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Location: Stockholm

Postby Edwardas 3 » Oct 19 2011, 17:19

To OP:
Every one ,who does not agree with you -you place into the category of trolls or idiots ,who do it for lols .
Why the game which requires support of flamming fans must be rated high ?
If the game is okay there is no need for pleas and bullying. If there is something wrong with the game then it needs such questionable support . Ergo summus-this game is not good enough to get 7/10.
5 /10 imo.
The iron fist of pure logic .
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

vhilhu
Druid
Druid
Posts: 862
Joined: 13 Aug 2006

Postby vhilhu » Oct 19 2011, 17:27

Edwardas 3 wrote: Why the game which requires support of flamming fans must be rated high ?

Here you imply that a lack of flaming anti-game trolls means an abundance of flaming fans, that flaming must be some kind of cosmic constant when it comes to discussing & rating video games. This doesn't make sense.

The iron fist of pure logic .

There is no "pure logic" in your post, or in real life in general.

User avatar
Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 125
Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Location: Stockholm

Postby Edwardas 3 » Oct 19 2011, 17:33

vhilhu wrote:
Edwardas 3 wrote: Why the game which requires support of flamming fans must be rated high ?

Here you imply that a lack of flaming anti-game trolls means an abundance of flaming fans, that flaming must be some kind of cosmic constant when it comes to discussing & rating video games. This doesn't make sense.

Flamming means insulting: since he insults people ,who does not share his estimation,it shall be called so.
Not so good games do need the support of flamming fans
OP is a flamming fan
The game is not so good -logic




vhilhu wrote:There is no "pure logic" in your post, or in real life in general.

First part of the phrase is your opinion,based on nothing .
Second -logic is a part of human mental process and as such is a part of real life.
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

User avatar
Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel
Posts: 1421
Joined: 03 Sep 2007
Location: HC/CH

Postby Corlagon » Oct 19 2011, 17:49

There's only one person "flamming" in this thread, I'd wager.

User avatar
Sikon
Hunter
Hunter
Posts: 542
Joined: 22 Dec 2005
Location: Russia

Re: One last wish, please hear me out

Postby Sikon » Oct 19 2011, 17:50

Elvin wrote:or that there is no tactics phase when combat starts.

What is with this misconception, anyway?

There is a tactics phase. The hero just needs to learn the tactics skill to unlock it. Just like in their precious III.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid
Posts: 862
Joined: 13 Aug 2006

Postby vhilhu » Oct 19 2011, 17:59

Edwardas 3 wrote:
vhilhu wrote:There is no "pure logic" in your post, or in real life in general.

First part of the phrase is your opinion,based on nothing .

First you say: "To OP:"
Then you say: "Every one ,who does not agree with you -you place into the category of trolls or idiots ,who do it for lols .". That is a personal insult and you never explain why you believe that.
Then you say: "Why the game which requires support of flamming fans must be rated high ?" Because you have made it clear that you are addressing OP, you must mean that the OP thinks that a game requires support of flaming fans to be rated high, and ask him for an explanation for it. You however never make it clear yourself why you believe that he believes that.

Second -logic is a part of human mental process and as such is a part of real life.

Yes, so you can apply it on models that are not real life itself. I am saying - whenever people say that what they're saying is "pure logic" or use "wordnumberone != wordnumbertwo" in sentences about real life, to imitate mathematical rigor - it is inane and insulting.

Example: Johnny has an apple. Mary has another apple. Do both of them have apples?

Now you will want to answer, "yes, because of "pure logic"." And that will be correct as an answer, in an extremely non-real-life-like model based on my sentences! It will not be "completely, purely logically" correct if I described a real-life situation! John's apple may be slang for a Macintosh computer, and the apple in the question in the end may refer to edible apples, and then the answer will be "no", because Johnny does not have an edible apple. Or maybe the source that originated the first two sentences, was a yellow newspaper that lied, so the answer is "no". Or maybe Johnny has stolen Mary's apple after the sentence "Mary has another apple." and before the sentence "Do both of them have apples?", and the second sentence does not apply anymore, so the answer is "no". Or maybe the question was asked in the context of, I'm hungry and want to eat an apple, I'm looking for freely available apples from kind people like Johnny and Mary - and the answer will be "no" because Johnny and Mary are mean and greedy people and will keep their apples to themselves - so their apples are not the freely available apples that the questioner was looking for. Etc etc.

So I think only people who know absolutely nothing about logic and rigor claim that their argumentation about real life situations is perfect due to "pure logic". Again, it is insulting to claim that.

User avatar
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 5475
Joined: 27 Aug 2006

Postby Elvin » Oct 19 2011, 19:59

Ah the wonders of the internets :) Where derailing a thread is a lot more important than actually reading into it and contributing in some way. You know, the whole reason why threads get made.

Yes when someone rates a game of this quality, regardless of bugs and issues as 0 or 1/5 he is a troll. That is fairly obvious for reasons I need not explain. Besides who told you I'm asking anyone to glorify the game? Only thing I asked for is voice your honest opinion and be fair. There's not much more to ask really.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.

- Metathron

mr.hackcrag
Archangel
Archangel
Posts: 1435
Joined: 05 Jul 2006

Postby mr.hackcrag » Oct 19 2011, 20:07

Elvin, just get a bunch of trolls to rate it a 5/5 and it will balance out.

User avatar
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder
Posts: 6602
Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Location: Angelspit
Contact:

Postby Angelspit » Oct 19 2011, 20:14

These days, anything short of exceptional gets the same treatment as real stinkers such as Outpost or Daikatana, right on Day 1. I really hated Civilization during my first two gameplay hours, but back then whining on the Internet wasn't an option, so I kept playing a few more turns. You can probably figure out the rest of the story.

I think the 1-rating trolls will calm down and Heroes will get more serious reviews over time. A few positive reviews at GameSpot and other big sites would also contribute to push back the mob.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

User avatar
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 5475
Joined: 27 Aug 2006

Postby Elvin » Oct 19 2011, 20:22

mr.hackcrag wrote:Elvin, just get a bunch of trolls to rate it a 5/5 and it will balance out.

That comment is made of win :D
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.

- Metathron

User avatar
Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 125
Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Location: Stockholm

Postby Edwardas 3 » Oct 19 2011, 21:06

Elvin wrote:Ah the wonders of the internets :) Where derailing a thread is a lot more important than actually reading into it and contributing in some way. You know, the whole reason why threads get made....

Wonders of internet-flammers are chickenly wonders of internet .That besides the fanboys ofc .
Last edited by Edwardas 3 on Oct 19 2011, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

User avatar
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 5475
Joined: 27 Aug 2006

Postby Elvin » Oct 19 2011, 21:28

Look.. Someone who gives a game 0 because it lacks black dragons of because it lacks a hex grid is obviously a troll. Or has issues. If you paid any attention to the masterpost I am asking for honest reviewers and if you believe the game is worth 5/10 that is fair and I am sure you have your reasons. But when someone simply calls the game a disgrace and gives it a 0 for the silliest reason imaginable how fair do you find that? THAT is what I am talking about.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.

- Metathron

User avatar
Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 125
Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Location: Stockholm

Postby Edwardas 3 » Oct 19 2011, 21:35

Eventually ,honestly tha game is more then 5/10 .When they fix the bugs its only the lack of cities,which is weak point imo.
But because of expectations and forum drama people can feel berserker calls :)
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

User avatar
jeff
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3701
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby jeff » Oct 19 2011, 21:50

Elvin I can't give this game a 5 as it still lacks the one feature I want, a user friendly campaign editor. From what little I've heard of the map editor, I would likely give it a 0, though this is not in anyway a judgement on the quality of the overall game just a statement of its lack of what I hoped for. However I will do you a favor and just not vote.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:


Return to “Heroes V-VI”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 23 guests