All this "i m not happy with the game" - h6 is awe

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
luthi3n
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

All this "i m not happy with the game" - h6 is awe

Unread postby luthi3n » 19 Oct 2011, 10:13

Hi there everybody,

i m reading in this forum for a while now, as u see this is my second post now. - this will be some praise for h6 ;|

Many people complain about the new heroes... stuff like "i ll get back to h3" or "no more homm for me". :disagree:

i ve been playing homm since homm3 and i ´d agree: homm4/5 were not like h3. they were similar but in some aspects worse.

homm6 is in my opinion a new game with elements of the prior heroes-games which offers a bunch of new and good concepts like only 4 resources, zone-control or centralised unitbuilding.

i appreciate these new features and every minute i spent playing h6 since the launch now had been very entertaining. i believe i m allready addicted and this game has the potential becoming a classicer like homm3.

hopefully 3do/ubisoft will add a couple of additional maps and fix the bugs... then h6 will be nearly perfect in my point of view.

my 2 cents :D

wneubert
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wneubert » 19 Oct 2011, 11:58

I feel the same,I love it.

I love the new game and I love the new concepts, especially zone of control, resources, and town conversion/one unit pool, just like you said.

Hopefully they will fix the bugs.

If the map editor is any good there will probably be a lot of player maps. The tool is very complicated, so it will be hard for people to get into it. However, it also looks powerful, so once they do, incredible things could be possible.

I never played H3, but I have H3/H4 complete on DVD. I was gonna try it, but the youtube videos I watched didn't make me want to play. I still might just to see what they are raving about, but there is not time and now there is H6 to take up my freetime.

luthi3n
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby luthi3n » 19 Oct 2011, 12:08

true :D

i checked the editor allready, its not that big deal. as complicate as the h5editor i´d guess. i m gonna start mapmaking in a month or so.

runemaker
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby runemaker » 19 Oct 2011, 14:27

I agree, I'm also really enjoying Heroes VI. If I want to play Heroes III or IV again I'll just go play those games, I'm glad Heroes VI is different. I do miss some of the more standard factions, but so far I've spent a a few days just playing as the necromancers and it's been great.

Yazman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yazman » 20 Oct 2011, 10:06

I agree, it's awesome so far :D

The only thing I don't like is how when you recruit units from one town, it gets them from EVERY town. Is there a way to switch that off? It makes it a pain in the ass to manage multiple heroes in different towns.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 20 Oct 2011, 10:07

Well I kinda got to agree here to. So far I'm really enjoying the game, the bugs are annoying, but besides that I am enjoying it.

Gameplay is nice, the differences from the previous HoMM games is at a right mix I think. The townportal, being a building I dont like. Its stupid and makes map awareness pointless. Why be well informed about the countryside when you can just port in whenever some1 surprises you on the backline of things. And I still miss the old Magic guilds and spell books. Though I'm undecided about the new skill system.

All in all a really good game.

Mhorhe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mhorhe » 20 Oct 2011, 10:51

I have to agree wholeheartedly.

I'm so glad the game FINALLY evolved in a good way (unlike HIV) I'm willing to forgive them for the bugs and the constant crashes.

It's not perfect, but I'm hopeful it's going to be.

Here's to the long awaited evolution of the perfect HIII: CHEERS! :)

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 20 Oct 2011, 11:19

Really really enjoying it too!

I think if you are able to make that little switch in your head which lets you take on the game on its own terms, it's a really one to get into and explore.

There are always comparisons with what went on before in the back of the mind, but I think I'm happy to evaluate it on how it plays out overall, rather than how components here compare to components back when.

I love the Sanctuary creature designs especially!

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 20 Oct 2011, 19:36

I've played all heroes games and I like them all ;D 4 the most of all to be completely honest ;D Troll me now ;D

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 20 Oct 2011, 20:25

HoMM 4 was like role-playing game,where heros development meant more then anything else ,not pure strategy like 3 . 6 must have more cities to be good strategy game imo -
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

Beseiged
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Beseiged » 27 Oct 2011, 10:56

I'm really glad luthi3n made this thread to offset all the negative posts, because I've got to be honest, I am really loving this new version of the game.

I haven't enjoyed HOMM this much since II; all the versions that followed it improved this and that, but lost something in the process. They just never hit me with that "oh go on, just one more turn" feeling that I had with II, but version VI has put me right back in the zone.

I am admittedly somewhat irritated by the UPlay thing; I've been booted out of battles a couple of times by a dropped connection, but I can live with that because the game itself is so strong.

qiox
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby qiox » 27 Oct 2011, 11:46

I hate the reduction in resource types. It really reduces the amount of decision making involved in building your town. And it also gives less options when designing a map. Once you give the player wood/ore/crystal mines, that's it, his whole town will be built.

I hate the zones of control auto flagging everything nearby when you take a fort/town. Thankfully that is not there by default when you create a map. It's something you have to add.

I hate the centralized unit buying. If an AI is about to take a town out on the border of your territory, you have to buy all available troops from all your towns, otherwise you will lose those that are available from that one town, because you cannot buy just those ones. Also, it creates a tipping point on maps where once you own a certain number of towns, the game is over vs the AI. There is no scrambling to reinforce with troops from your towns. You simply buy everything on day 1 into your main army, walk over and take another town, buy everything on day 1... rinse/repeat. It turns the 2nd half of games into a chore instead of a game where decisions need to be made.

The one thing they got right was the progressive increase in prices for buying extra heroes.

Having said all that, I do like the game. I just think that had they not made the above changes it would be a much better game.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Oct 2011, 16:44

qiox wrote:I hate the reduction in resource types. It really reduces the amount of decision making involved in building your town. And it also gives less options when designing a map. Once you give the player wood/ore/crystal mines, that's it, his whole town will be built.
I have to disagree. There is a lot of decision making, it's just that the focus has shifted now that all of the buildings require the same resources in varying quantities. You still have to decide what to spend them on. So without sulphur, gems and mercury, there is now a stronger emphasis on wood, ore and crystal. I am constantly out of wood and ore and have to decide whether I'll spend it on a dwelling upgrade or on building a new dwelling. Or perhaps a castle to boost defense and creature growth?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

luthi3n
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby luthi3n » 29 Oct 2011, 11:59

yeah.

we re playing a lot of PvP at a german forum at the moment and found a big advantage in rushing for crystalcaverns. if u do so in the early game (week 1, as early as possible) u gain a big advantage in the mid & lategame.

it didnt lost complexity, the things just shifted.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”