I hate Nerd Rage

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Rife
Peasant
Peasant

I hate Nerd Rage

Unread postby Rife » 17 Oct 2011, 19:26

It makes me sad, really. Yes, there are things missing from this iteration that I liked from previous Heroes games. There are also new things in this iteration that were never present in previous games. There will never be a game that has everything you liked about the previous ones, none of what you didn't like, and brand new innovations that are totally welcome and instantly recognizable as such.

Yet everywhere I go I read posts about how this one is a betrayal of the series, they've changed too much, heroes is dead to us now... etc. I hear it now, I've heard it about 5, and 4, and if internet 'culture' was more prevalent at the time, I'd bet I'd have heard it about 3 and 2 as well.

Stop b itching because this version is not more like the one you liked best. Quit comparing it for a second, play the game and see if you actually enjoy it. If you don't, fair enough but don't try to ruin it for those who actually can.

Believe it or not, the developers of games (with few exceptions) are not going to rewrite a game based on how much a people rage over what they don't like. Black Hole Entertainment wants to make a game we enjoy so they listen to what we've said, but I think they're smart and they'll know to ignore the negativity so raging is a good way to get the majority of your opinions ignored, by them as well as fans who like me, are tired of the hate.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Oct 2011, 19:58

Thank you for that. The amount of drama on the official forum is barely tolerable. Like little girls whining about a guy from a boys band just had his head shaved.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 17 Oct 2011, 20:15

Anyone miss those cut-scenes where every character spams spell-casting animations to punctuate their emotions?

I sure miss them.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 17 Oct 2011, 20:56

I think you're 100% right man! They should stop complaining and see if they really like the actual game.
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Re: I hate Nerd Rage

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 17 Oct 2011, 21:09

Rife wrote:....Black Hole Entertainment wants to make a game we enjoy ....
Tell that to the fans of Warhammer ,whose game they destroyed .
The same is gonna be here and no amount of drama would help series out .
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 17 Oct 2011, 21:12

ywhtptgtfo wrote:Anyone miss those cut-scenes where every character spams spell-casting animations to punctuate their emotions?

I sure miss them.
Ow man, hahahaha

I miss that, random spell casting and terrible voice acting, that was amazing in hereos 5.

On topic yeah, people are so emo lately, if you don't like something don't play it it's really simple.... I like all homm versions and don't bother reading or discussing the crap people throw at each other for the sake of what? Being cool on a forum... hahahaha...

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 17 Oct 2011, 21:13

definitely far too many people who want to see Heroes 3 come out again for some reason or another, it's already out!

I love Heroes VI, you can actually play it alongside Heroes III for once as it has many unique features and the core gameplay is different. Releasing a worse version of an existing game makes no sense (i.e. Heroes V).

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 18 Oct 2011, 02:51

ywhtptgtfo wrote:Anyone miss those cut-scenes where every character spams spell-casting animations to punctuate their emotions?

I sure miss them.
:rofl:

I miss characters saying "GRIFFIN ETERNAL" for motivation. I would like other factions to say, "ORK ETERNAL," "KAPPA ETERNAL," "BLAH ETERNAL," and "RED ETERNAL!"

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 18 Oct 2011, 08:35

Angelspit wrote:Thank you for that. The amount of drama on the official forum is barely tolerable. Like little girls whining about a guy from a boys band just had his head shaved.
My thoughts exactly, so many complaints because h6 isn't more like h3. Get over it and play the game, it's very good. I mean I haven't even seen anybody mention the superfast AI turns...
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 18 Oct 2011, 11:16

Will add my name to this list.

The rage about Heroes 4 I guess I could understand, as it would seem that I'm the only Heroes player out there who doesn't think that game was a complete failure - I loved the campaigns and playstyle, it just didn't feel like Heroes. The anger about Heroes 5, however, I really don't understand. Sure, there was some lame stuff in there, like the cutscenes, but really - it was more or less a remake of Heroes 3 in my experience? Besides, name me one significant point where Heroes 5 didn't copy Heroes 3 or tried to be innovative.

It's somewhat similar with Heroes 6 - the lowered amount of resources and slightly different playstyle creature-wise is simply a step in a different direction. Sure, they could've set cities, creatures and resources up in the same way they were in Heroes 3 AGAIN, but really, would you want ANOTHER Heroes 3 remake?

Which ties in to the next point - if you sincerely feel like Heroes 6 is taking something away from you, you need to recheck your priorities. This isn't a case of Ubihole 'ruining' your franchise. This is a case of you being nostalgic about Heroes 3, and a Heroes 6 that you can just ignore if you dislike it. Nobody's forcing you to stop playing Heroes 3. Not to mention the fact that Heroes 6 might simply not have been made at all if it wasn't for Ubihole. While I mean no offense, you'd have to be really anal to let a 2011 game ruin your love for an entire franchise that is based on games released from 1995 to 1999.[/i]

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 18 Oct 2011, 11:22

Besides, M&M: Heroes VI producer Erwan le Breton looks like he's just such a nice guy! I mean, look at his fatherly smile at celestialheavens home. AND he looks just like Strelok from STALKER! What's not to like?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 18 Oct 2011, 13:03

I just hope all the nerd rage is coming from people who actually paid for the game instead of pirating it.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 18 Oct 2011, 13:07

Kristo wrote:I just hope all the nerd rage is coming from people who actually paid for the game instead of pirating it.
Sounds like you still have a carefully optimistic and naive faith in humanity?
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 18 Oct 2011, 15:54

No not really. But if most of the hate is coming from people who haven't paid for the game, then Ubisoft will find it very easy to ignore everyone. Paying customers with genuine gripes won't be heard.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 18 Oct 2011, 18:50

Just because one person paid and another person pirated doesn't mean that the pirate's gripes should not be cherished and appreciated. :tsup: Remember, that pirate spent a lot time and energy pirating the game; risking viruses and whatnot. :devious: Open your heart. :hug:

I was wondering, how often are your genunine gripes heard and efficiently corrected when the things you pay for have plenty of things to gripe about?

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 18 Oct 2011, 19:15

Well, mr.hackcrag has a point. While I'm not trying to condone piracy, pirate's complain may be as valid as other customer's. If a game is a bug-ridden mess, it matters a little whether the person did purchase the game or not. Unless said bug is intentional for pirated versions (Titan Quest and one Batman game had it, IIRC), said person is pointing out overlooked mistake, or crappy programing job.

Yes, those complaints may scare potentional customers away, but who would not be angry after shelling out 50 or 60 bucks for half-assed product? Remember Gothic 3? Community had to repair the game, because the devs were incompetent and unable to do it. How would paying customer feel in that case?
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 19 Oct 2011, 07:20

Right on, Rife. Right on!

I think it's great to get another take on Heroes that tries to do its own thing and isn't a slave to using just the elements that came before. They've had their own ideas, they've tried things out and they have (in my opinion) come up with something fresh and different while still recognisably Heroes.

I like that. Means there is variety and means there is a Heroes game for all seasons.

So yeah, let's not have any of this whining or melodrama - constructive criticism and discussion and the appreciation of a different take on theme.

Mhorhe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mhorhe » 20 Oct 2011, 15:11

At some risk, I'm going to have to say this: I WISH I'd pirated it :/ Hell, it was available on torrents about a day before steam allowed me to get my grubby paws on it.

But, no, it was a Heroes game I've long awaited! I pre-ordered it! What could go wrong, right? Right?!

...turns out, plenty. The game itself is great, I only wish I'd be able to, you know, enjoy it. Even if I ignore the impotent griffins or the no-charge riders, I keep on crashing. No matter how determined, when you crash 10 times trying to take a fort it really erodes your will to go and play the game..

If they fix whatever's causing all the crashes, and swoop at least some of the more outrageous bugs away, I'm willing to give this a grade on par with Restoration of Erathia.

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 20 Oct 2011, 16:02

That is the big question why HoMM 3 could not be considered as the ideal ,most loved model and all next HOMM games should follow it .Ofc changing grphx ,making improvemnts adding new factions and units ,intrigue etc .
While such as creations as HoMM 5-6 should go to the category of related to HoMM's universe -like King Bounty f ex.
There are succeful strategy series like Total War and Stronghold ,which just renew and improve . If people so much like HoMM 3 then why not to follow the
the Vox Populi and keep it ?
What is ne and innovative in Ubisoft HoMM's univers-Tears of Asha .Yeah ,hardly just duplicate of Tears of Isha in Warhammer
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2858 ... rs-of-isha
Blood elves-ripped from Forgotten Realm ,Salvatore Drizzt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drizzt_DoUrden

They could not even create some innovative universe but introduced rip offs .
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

Mhorhe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mhorhe » 20 Oct 2011, 16:37

Edwardas 3 wrote:That is the big question why HoMM 3 could not be considered as the ideal ,most loved model and all next HOMM games should follow it .Ofc changing grphx ,making improvemnts adding new factions and units ,intrigue etc .
While such as creations as HoMM 5-6 should go to the category of related to HoMM's universe -like King Bounty f ex.
There are succeful strategy series like Total War and Stronghold ,which just renew and improve . If people so much like HoMM 3 then why not to follow the
the Vox Populi and keep it ?
What is ne and innovative in Ubisoft HoMM's univers-Tears of Asha .Yeah ,hardly just duplicate of Tears of Isha in Warhammer
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2858 ... rs-of-isha
Blood elves-ripped from Forgotten Realm ,Salvatore Drizzt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drizzt_DoUrden

They could not even create some innovative universe but introduced rip offs .
Because people want change. At least some(I?) do. I played HIII to the death back when it was the new thing, and many years afterwards. I got bored with it eventually.. I'm calling it the ideal because that was it WAS, it was the least imperfect Heroes game yet. It doesn't mean I'd want to see endless HIII expansions, just with updated graphics and units though..

You cite King's Bounty, but King's Bounty the Legend changed a lot of stuff from its antique original. In many respects it was quite the original game, and for that alone I enjoyed it immensely.

As for the Tears of Isha/Asha.. let's not get into that :) Warhammer 40 k ripped off any number of sources - for one, Dune, extensively (thousands of year into the future, Emperor of a million worlds, God-Emperor, Navigator mutants, super soldiers, technology locked into place and the monopoly of a few etc), Starship troopers (Power Armor, hive aliens), Aliens (Genestealers)..

Rip-offs are inevitable in some measure, the important thing is to build something worthwhile with it. Which GW succeeded with their grimdark fantasy future :)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”