Inferno 1: Am I missing something obvious? (Spoilers)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Inferno 1: Am I missing something obvious? (Spoilers)

Unread postby Sikon » 17 Oct 2011, 17:48

After sucessfully playing through the tutorial and the first missions of Stronghold, Sanctuary and Haven on Normal, I've decided to give this mission a shot.

I've added maniacs and hell hounds, built all available upgrades in two of the easily obtainable towns, and quickly captured the Legions of Pain town in the southwest. I suffered fairly heavy losses during it, though. And despite my expectations, that player went nowhere and continues to harass me periodically with the hero Tor-Berith with gradually increasing armies.

Meanwhile, Deleb from Pain Lovers, also with gradually increasing armies, keeps coming towards my southeastern town. I found the weekly growth rates insufficient to even replenish the losses, let alone think of counterattacking Deleb in her town (and I don't know where the second Legions town is). It's only got gradually worse and I think I've run the mission into an unplayable state.

Is there anything here that I'm missing? I'm frustrated enough that I'm considering skipping the Inferno campaign entirely, especially seeing how it's my least favorite faction.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 21 Oct 2011, 09:41

Okay, on my second playthrough, I defeated all three enemies.

BUT.

After I defeat Toghrul, I play as Azkaal, who plays (alone!) against Xana with an immense army, massively stacked in her favor. A battle I have no realistic chance of winning. When he is defeated, the mission fails, too.

Is there something I missed here?

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 21 Oct 2011, 10:01

Never mind, I found out on my own how to defeat Xana. But ow! What a mission!

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 21 Oct 2011, 10:24

I concur, it was hard as hell (pun intended).
I hate those cat and mouse games where you can't attack one guy because the other one might attack you in the back.
To make matters worse I lost almost my entire army beating pain lovers. Then the gate went open and a 'deadly rated' nymus comes through. I had to keep her busy with my secondary hero for 5 weeks!! until I had a chance of beating her.

As for azkaal, all you need to do is stay the heck away from those hell houds. They deal way to much damage.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 21 Oct 2011, 14:26

What I did was trying to avoid sieging enemy towns as much as possible. I took Logistics and went for the Legions of Pain (red) first, after capturing the neutral town. I waited until the red hero went for my town, then when he was halfway between the towns, I went to the lane above him, trying to beat him to the race towards his own town. I got lucky, and he was just one movement point short of reaching Kiril. I captured his first town and defended it from the hero with small losses.

After that, things went trickier. I had three towns and had to defend from two enemies at once. The Pain Lovers periodically sent Deleb towards my southeastern town, but when Kiril teleported there, it scared her away. It got the trickiest when both enemies got close to two of my towns. To get around this, I hired a second hero, whom I sent with Kiril's army to beat Deleb (when she was close to my town) first and then returned the army to Kiril, who teleported to the other town close to being captured.

From that point on, it was easy enough. I captured the western red fort, then proceeded further north to the second red town, which I captured with fairly heavy losses. But now that I only had to face one enemy at a time, I could now build up an army and attack whenever I saw fit. With four towns and the Demographist dynasty bonus, I had a high enough population growth to eventually capture both Pain Lovers towns too.

For Nymus I just turtled and waited until he was one move away from the town he intended to capture, then teleported Kiril there to scare him away. Rinse and repeat until I recovered my losses and Nymus dropped to "Severe" difficulty, at which I could beat him in the open. After that, again, turtling until I could capture the last town did the trick.

From my experience, the last hero never leaves his town, so again, it's skipping turns and building up an army. I got to the point when I could capture the last town on quick combat, so I didn't have to actually replay the siege after I lost to Xana for the first time.

For Azkaal vs Xana, I just stood in place, never attacking or moving, instead just using the three abilities. and let the enemy melee units come to me, thinning out the shooters first with the berserk ability. Azkaal gets a free use of his "damage all enemy units" ability on retaliations, so you'll want to get the +200% fire damage debuff on as many enemy units as possible.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 22 Oct 2011, 01:26

It was a cake walk for me on hard difficulty. Maybe they really flipped the difficulty levels? Anyway, I didn't lose any troop until I fought that final battle against Toghul (where no loss is meaningless at that point), so that probably made the game easier.

Other things that made things easy are:
- Magic-based Kiril (strong succubi damage)
- Life drain
- Reinforcement
- Regeneration

Azzy vs. Xana was fun, but I don't think you can simply stand around. At hard difficulty, the cerberi hurt a lot (i.e. took out 30k hp out of me in two hits with good morale + good luck). I had to port around to avoid those dogs as much as possible.

Inferno 2 is a bit hard though, IMO, because you can't use life drain against necros and Inferno has no healer.

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 27 Oct 2011, 09:29

I think Inferno is reverse in difficulty the first mission is the hardest and the last one the easiest.

qiox
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby qiox » 27 Oct 2011, 09:44

After seeing many people on the official forums complaining about this mission I decided to put up a Youtube video of me playing through it on hard.

It is all uploaded now.

Part 1 is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRRNK1b ... re=related

Note: After part 6 (of 7) is a few weeks I did not record. All the AI's are defeated except for the final town. I then went around and fought some neutrals to pickup anything that will carry over to the next mission (hero stat boosts, set item artifacts). Part 7 picks up with me attacking the final town.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”