Heroes difficulty: What am I missing? (Long post, TL;DR@bot)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Oct 2011, 13:26

Mozared wrote: Architect being a skill for secondary heroes makes sense, but in this case, if it may give me just as much extra units as Reinforcement, seeing as how I can't level the latter above level 1 yet? If I'm reading it correctly, Architect should give me 1 spawn of each tier extra, giving me a total of 3 additional units per week over 2 weeks = 6 units. Does reinforcements give you that amount as well?
They have different functions, you see. Architecture means troops you can hire and have them forever (until killed, that is) in your army, by hiring them at your town. Reinforcements work for the battle during the battle. They won't stay on your army after you finish the battle, that's why our fellow members told you they were cannon fodder.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 18 Oct 2011, 16:23

Mozared wrote: I've taken another look at the skills.

Architect being a skill for secondary heroes makes sense, but in this case, if it may give me just as much extra units as Reinforcement, seeing as how I can't level the latter above level 1 yet? If I'm reading it correctly, Architect should give me 1 spawn of each tier extra, giving me a total of 3 additional units per week over 2 weeks = 6 units. Does reinforcements give you that amount as well?

Enlightenment I grabbed because it seemed logical. You need a fixed amount of XP to get to level 30, right? Which means the quicker I have 25% additional XP gain, the quicker I'll get higher overall. I could pick it up at 10 'when leveling gets slow' as you're pointing out, but I think you're forgetting that I will reach level 10 a lot quicker if I pick it up earlier. I guess in this particular case it doesn't help me a lot, though.

As for Heal - there is no Heal I can grab at level 4. I do guess I could grab Regeneration, though I'm not sure how good that is on a might-based hero with relatively low spellpower. Should I go for a magic hero?

I'll try and make all the suggested changes and will replay the level, to see if that gets me any further.
Since the others already replied about heal, regeneration, and reinforcement, I'd just add a note that picking up enlightenment a bit later doesn't really hurt because the exp to reach say... level 7 is much lower than that of higher levels. In the end, it'd only let you reach level 10 a little bit faster because of all the freebies around.

=============================================

Taking a look at your original post again, I found it rather strange that the A.I. would be so aggressive at easy difficulty. I finished the map at hard difficulty and the A.I. only attacked me once (with a small contingent of troops). While they had slightly larger armies when I met them, they mostly camped in their bases while I cleared out my little quadrant of the map (i.e. my castle and the fort at the south).

Maybe they swapped the difficulty settings (that'd be a huge bug)? :)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Oct 2011, 16:47

I just finished Inferno campaign on normal. While first two maps were hard to complete (mainly because need to recapture forts and towns), last one was too easy (well, Summon Phoenix, Mass Lafi Drain and Regeneration helped a lot)), even with Tear path when you have secondary quest not to convert any town or fort. :D

AI sit in his castle and was doing nothing. And even fight with him was too easy: AI is always splitting his troops between two heroes (or hero and captured town/fort) and it is easy to take down his secondary hero time after time (he rehire his secondary every day/2days) until main hero will have no troops to defend.

After AI was no more, rest of game was just long, boring map clearing.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 18 Oct 2011, 20:52

The second time around I made it through, folks! :D

I made sure I absolutely optimized everything. Grabbed my sawmill and ore pit on the second and fourth day respectively or such, cleared out an entire alcove of creatures and lost only one Sentinel all the way up to the big battle. I specced into Logistics first, then Heal, then Reinforcement, then went into Light Mastery for extra oomph on Heal. As for buildings, I did like mentioned before - all money generating buildings first, then dwellings, then fort. Once week two hit I spent my crystals on upgrading my tier 1 through 3 units rather than getting the revelation statue.

By the end of week 2 the enemy hero was at my gates again, and I figured out a good way to mess with him; I hired an additional hero, gave all his troops to my main hero (who was guarding my city), and ran all the way past the enemy hero down the path he had appeared from. This gave him two choices: he had the option to go back to kill my spare hero, but that would take him two turns, meaning week 3 would hit and I'd have an additional batch of creatures in my city, or he could go straight for my city, which meant that my spare hero would have free reign.

He choose to attack my city and I had a lot easier of a battle than the first time around. The advantage I had was that I could kill his ranged units with my ranged units while his melee units were standing outside my gate, waiting for it to go down. By the time he got inside, he had lost all his ranged support and I just had to make good use of my racial skill to kill is stack of 21 T4 units. I eventually won - not exactly by a landslide, but it wasn't a horrendously close call either.

From that point on it was cake. My spare hero that had passed the enemy by now had the option to capture about three mines that had no creatures left since the enemy had killed them - two of these were within my city's radius. I ended up going bottom first and in a decently matched fight cleared out the Lake Orcs there before crossing the river and finishing off the River Orcs. I wasn't bothered with any more attacks either, as the AI just kept sitting in his castles after that one attack.

All in all I still think the map was horrendously difficult for 'easy' difficulty - by playing it this way I might've made it through normal mode, but I can't really see how one would manage to beat the hardest difficulty setting like this. Thanks for the tips anyway folks, you did get me up to speed on how awesome Heal is, what the importance is of the perks you grab from level 1 through 5 and how crucial it is to optimize your first week of movement, and how not losing any units to random battles is key.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 19 Oct 2011, 03:08

A lot of people finished the game in hard difficulty actually. And as I've said, the A.I. had not been very aggressive in the games I played. So maybe it's only aggressive in lower difficulty levels because stack sizes are smaller for neutral creeps?

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 19 Oct 2011, 03:12

Mozared wrote: not losing any units to random battles is key.
You can call yourself a veteran when you no longer have to save/load. :tsup:

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 19 Oct 2011, 04:01

mr.hackcrag wrote:
Mozared wrote: not losing any units to random battles is key.
You can call yourself a veteran when you no longer have to save/load. :tsup:
I do that a lot for just about any game... :(

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 19 Oct 2011, 05:31

For me, the main problem isn't the AI's aggressiveness - if anything, it turtles too much in its towns, and the way it cheats with population growth means it's impossible to assault directly, so first I need to find ways to make the AI split its army and lure its hero into a position where it won't be defending a town.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”