Retaliation Poll

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which retaliation mechanic would you prefer for H6?

Simultaneous Retaliation
27%
Counter Attack
62%
Other (Please Explain)
12%

Total votes: 26

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 10 Oct 2011, 16:55

mr.hackcrag wrote:The huge advantage that the attacker has and the premium that is placed on speed/initiative stat affects the game negatively.
I wouldn't go that far; it makes the game different, utilizing different strategies, but does not necessarily impact the game negatively.

vicheron's idea is definitely an interesting one. I'd be curious to see how it pans out in a real game, for sure.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 10 Oct 2011, 20:51

Counter Attack is my favourite. Simultaneous just doesn't offer as much strategy in my opinion.

To be honest I think we could reach a small compromise here and make it Counter Attack Retaliations in general, with some units having the ability to retaliate simultaneously. Think of it as a special ability, similar to how First Strike works in Heroes 4. First Strike was really a bit of an overkill, especially against Grandmaster Melee Heroes.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 10 Oct 2011, 22:15

Voted Counter Attack.

"Don't fix it if it isn't broken."
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 10 Oct 2011, 23:25

vicheron wrote:I think it would be interesting if they could introduce a retaliation system that's based on unit facing.

For example, if you attack a creature from the front, then the retaliation will be simultaneous. If you attack a creature from the back or the side, then retaliation occurs after the attack.
Does this mean that players would be able to control the units' orientation to create, say, back-to-back defensive formations?

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 11 Oct 2011, 02:49

I would think so, unless a unit attacked in a certain direction, then you wouldn't be able to control which way it faces.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 11 Oct 2011, 03:55

In Final Fantasy Tactics (Tactics Ogre and some other games), after you moved, you could choose which way you'd be facing, given that the positions your characters were facing would change the odds of upcoming interactive actions. There was regular counter attack, counter tackle and an ability called Hamedo, iirc, which would be a "first strike" thing.

If something like facing position would influence on retalition ability, that could be implemented similarly, I reckon, after moving, you choose where you unit will be facing. So, you could also add some diversity upon spell casting such as confusion, which could make your unit round about randomly.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 11 Oct 2011, 08:21

There would also obviously be creature abilities, hero skills, and spells that could affect facing.

As for being able to determine facing, it would depend on the creature. For some creatures, it may require a movement point, for others, it may be free, and of course there would be creatures with the ability to negate facing penalties.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 11 Oct 2011, 10:52

They should also fix the "wasting enemy's retaliation with just 1 unit" exploit. It ruins both counter attack and simultaneous retaliation.

Maybe they should borrow a couple of things from Civilization's retaliation system, in which units counter attack and simultaneously retaliate at the same time.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 12 Oct 2011, 01:28

TheUndeadKing wrote:They should also fix the "wasting enemy's retaliation with just 1 unit" exploit. It ruins both counter attack and simultaneous retaliation.
Back when TT was a spambot, he offered several solutions to this awful problem, but unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember what they were. :(

Return to “Heroes V-VI”