Question on Archery penalty

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Question on Archery penalty

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 22 Sep 2011, 02:45

I've got a question about units with a long range attack. As you know, if your archers attack someone far away then they only do half their regular damage. If the opponent is close enough they do full damage.

So how close does an archer have to be to do full damage? Is it different for different types of archers?

Do objects in between the archer and enemy effect if they do half or full damage?

I tried finding the answer on google, and on a few HOMM5 guides, but I didn't see anything about this.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 22 Sep 2011, 14:05

Some units have different ranges, but I believe the "short range" line is 5 tiles.
If a unit is behind castle walls, it also takes 1/2 damage, but I do not recall if this stacks with long-range (in which case it would be 25% damage)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 23 Sep 2011, 23:03

Ok, thanks for the answer Dragon.

I've done a bit of experimenting since my last post. It seems that Scouts/Assassins at least seem to have a range somewhere between 8 and 10 tiles before they get the archery penalty. The game seems somewhat inconsistent between battles with the range, hence part of why it's between 8 to 10.

I'm not all that certain yet, but it seems kind of like having an obstacle anywhere near your archers (or their target I guess) decreases their range a bit, even if the obstacle isn't actually in the way of your shot.

Perhaps different terrains also account for the seeming variation in your range from battle to battle.

It's difficult to test this however when you only control one side in battle.

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 26 Sep 2011, 21:23

It's supposed to be half the length of the battlefield - which is longer if there's a fort or better on the defending side - and halved again if there's a castle wall in the way. I don't think other obstacles make a difference. Note that assassins et al are something of a special case as they actually do more damage in melee than at range - most shooters do less in melee. Make sure you're comparing with what their damage is at short range, not with a calculated value for what their damage "should" be.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”