The Inspiration for Michael

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

The Inspiration for Michael

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 02 Sep 2011, 14:17

I was browsing Wikipedia and stumbled onto this page: Archangel Michael. Sounds like a very familiar concept to the Michael character from Heroes!

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 02 Sep 2011, 16:13

So you've never heard about the archangel Michael before?

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 02 Sep 2011, 16:50

Nope, and I haven't played any Ubi-released Might and Magic game except for Heroes Kingdoms.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 02 Sep 2011, 17:37

Darkström wrote:So you've never heard about the archangel Michael before?
Yes, that's a bit astounding... and I thought Archangel Michael/Raphael/Gabriel/Uriel/[insert biblical angel] is one of the most cheesy and unoriginal character to be added to a game.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 02 Sep 2011, 19:41

Deliberate reference certainly, although it isn't actually supposed to be the Biblical archangel Michael (just as Raziel isn't Raziel). Still I would probably have gone for a different name for him myself. He and Uriel seem out of place in Heroes somehow under these names, as though they're crossover characters from the real world rather than fictional characters inspired by myth. It would be like encountering Muhammad in Erathia or Zeus in Xeen... err.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 02 Sep 2011, 21:52

In spite of strangeness, it would then apply to any of these beasts, no? Since they all come from our world cultures.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 02 Sep 2011, 23:48

Well, they could have least chosen another name. Like Diablo did with its own archangel, Tyrael.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 02 Sep 2011, 23:58

I thought the Gods in MM9 were very creative. They were based on the Nose Gods. Krohn was Odin, Fre was Freyja, Idgra was Yggdrassil, the 3 Wyrdes were the Norns, and Yanmir the Frost Giant was the original Nordic Jotun, Ymir. I'm not too sure about Skraelos, but I really like his name!

Don't think there was anyone for Thor, son of Odin.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 02 Sep 2011, 23:59

*Norse Gods :D

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Sep 2011, 13:36

You forgot Hanndl and Njam which are Heimdall and Loki.
Krohn is Odin but he is based also on some god, who gave Arnie revange. ;)

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 04 Sep 2011, 02:27

Avonu wrote:You forgot Hanndl and Njam which are Heimdall and Loki.
Krohn is Odin but he is based also on some god, who gave Arnie revange. ;)
Oh! Looks like they all were based off of Norse Gods. Do you have any idea who Bori was based off? He wasn't mentioned in MM9 but he was Krohn's brother and the God of Spirit.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 04 Sep 2011, 19:59

But the entire game is based on Norse lore and the Celts in almost every aspect. Just look at the town names.
Last edited by Corlagon on 05 Sep 2011, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 04 Sep 2011, 21:42

Norway and Celts? I see only Vikings and Scandinavian. Even Beldonian invading army was modelled on Normans (Vikings) for Wilhelm the Conqueror army.
Celts had different mythology, towns names or equipment.
Do you have any idea who Bori was based off?
Odin had two brothers (Vili and Ve) and they all three killed their "great grandfather" Ymir and then created Midgard (Earth) from his body.
IIRC, Buri was "son" of Ymir and grandfather of Odin and his two brothers.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 04 Sep 2011, 23:49

I know the Green Man is Celtic, there's not much I can think of other than that.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 05 Sep 2011, 06:55

Oh, I forgot about him, maybe because Druid wans't good choice in this game. :P

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 05 Sep 2011, 08:44

Avonu wrote:Norway and Celts? I see only Vikings and Scandinavian
Oh no doubt about it. There's plenty of Celtic influence in MM9, Lindisfarne itself being the most obvious example.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 05 Sep 2011, 12:24

Lindisfarne is connected with Vikings too.
Lindisfarne was Vikings first major/most known raid on Western countries. It is event from which Viking Age begins (and ends with Wilhelm* William the Conqueror victory at Hastings in 1066).

*In Polish his name is Wilhelm.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 05 Sep 2011, 12:49

I never liked the whole norse thing, it felt cheap, fake, and plastic...like something made in china, imported, and sold at your local traitor shop Lidl :( Nor the gods and religion. And all that just makes me even more sad that they axed the Enroth-Antagarich-Jadame world... X(

They all came from that old world, so it's beyond me why they didn't bring with them their languages and cultures, instead of suddenly just picking up norse.

I'm kind of torn in that deparment, regarding the small MM sideproject that I sometimes work on. Should I just invent an alternative history timeline, where the world was never destroyed and you once again get to adventure in the old world? But that sort of feels like betraying Caneghem and his team, who -- as far as I know -- made the choice to end the world. Or maybe I should go with the flow, but instead of Axeoth make up a new world, a new planet, but populated by people from the old world, and consequently having similar traits in names, cities, cultures, kingdoms, etc. Basically creating a whole new world and different societies based on what they learned and experienced in the old world.

*sigh*...choices, choices, choices...

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 05 Sep 2011, 13:03

Well, acording to M7 ending, there was active Web Gate on Enroth before Reckoning. So you can use these Gates to Another Words ;) for choosing new planet and old heroes.

And from what I read, new setting was chosen because of Forge fiasco. Not only it didin't tie and ended old MM/HoMM stories but also Greg Fulton departed from NWC and he was a person who knew the most about story and future plans for HoMM/MM games. JvC was busy with his MMO project at that time.
However I can't tell you how much true is in these rumors.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 05 Sep 2011, 13:07

Avonu wrote:Well, acording to M7 ending, there was active Web Gate on Enroth before Reckoning. So you can use these Gates to Another Words ;) for choosing new planet and old heroes.

And from what I read, new setting was chosen because of Forge fiasco. Not only it didin't tie and ended old MM/HoMM stories but also Greg Fulton departed from NWC and he was a person who knew the most about story and future plans for HoMM/MM games. JvC was busy with his MMO project at that time.
However I can't tell you how much true is in these rumors.
EDIT:

I see. They also opened that gate in MM7, so at least two active gates? -- Right, Enroth as in planet, not continent. Gah, I wish people didn't do that ;)

Ouch! New settings just because of that? I've never seen that much "hatred" for it. Some people say they dislike it, but never anything extreme. So Greg Fulton did most of the stories and/or history in the games?

Whatever happend to JVC's MMO project? Did it even have a name? I've heard of it before, but never any details. A failure?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”