Why Should I Buy HoMM 6?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Why Should I Buy HoMM 6?

Unread postby Roman » 12 Aug 2011, 09:14

OK, so I have not really paid much attention to this game, because I feared it would have a ridiculous online DRM system and did not want to get my hopes up. Now it seems those fears can be laid to rest, so I can consider the purchase of HoMM 6 on the merit of the game itself. I was a huge fan of HoMM 3 and HoMM 5, but did not like HoMM 4. With this in mind, and assuming that I know very little about HoMM 6 due to my previously subdued interest resulting from the DRM scare, would you recommend that I buy HoMM 6? If the answer is yes, why? What does it offer for a Hotseat multiplayer gamer (that's pretty much the only HoMM mode I play) that it HoMM 5 (Tribes of the East) lacks?

The one negative thing I do know is that there will be only five factions in the new game, though I am not sure which ones made the cut. This is an extremely unfavorable comparison with Tribes of the East, which features eight factions and is even less than the six factions available in the original HoMM 5. Unfortunately, the number and diversity of factions is very important to me. With such a major strike against the game, what important compensating features are there to make up for this large deficit? Perhaps the skill system is more intricate and varied (another thing I find important and desirable, though I found this to be rather good in HoMM 5 already)?

Thank you for your help!

jeff

Re: Why Should I Buy HoMM 6?

Unread postby jeff » 12 Aug 2011, 14:16

Roman wrote: I was a huge fan of HoMM 3 and HoMM 5,
Well if you liked H-5 8| , then from all reports you will be very happy with H-6 improvements. So why not?
Last edited by Anonymous on 12 Aug 2011, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 12 Aug 2011, 14:17

If money isn't an issue for you, pick it up. If you're concerned you might waste your lunch money on a turd, wait for the reviews to show up in October. There's no scientific formula for such decisions.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 12 Aug 2011, 15:30

jeff wrote: Well if you liked H-5 8| , then from all reports you will be very happy with H-6 improvements. So why not?
All reports say so? I have not got such impression at all.

About buying H6, then i personally am not planning to do it before some patches/expansions are out or the reviews turn into ultrapositive. May be it will never happen. Do not know.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 12 Aug 2011, 17:30

Pitsu wrote: All reports say so? I have not got such impression at all.
My apologies I should not have used "all" rather many, but Angelspit's advice is very good. Who would have guessed such wisdom from an orc! :-D

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 12 Aug 2011, 17:32

H 5 was a turd, but previews and what I hear from others seem to indicate 6 is better in every way. Still, for me, the recent announcement of no DRM is the clinching argument towards buying it; I'll trust them if they trust me. But this is of course provided that there truly is no DRM... not that I distrust the source, but I distrust anyone who wants to sell me stuff, and Ubisoft in particular.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 12 Aug 2011, 18:42

I thought i have read quite a lot of posts in ubi forums (main and beta) and HC and although there are praises and even some glorifications, there are also concerns. Those who compare betas, tend to say that the H5 beta was better and i think they do not only mean the beta managment by ubi. Maybe i am biased. Main concerns beside the town widows are fast boredom (to little to explore/to do), too similar heroes, strength of core tiers that makes higher tiers unnecessary, resurrection spamming from day 1 and probably something i forgot. Although Ai is faster, at least battle AI has been seen to behave ... weird.

Edit: I have not counted the pro and anti posts, but reading betatesters feedback during the test has certainly lowered my opinion about the game.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Aug 2011, 09:53

Well, some good reasons might be:
- Good graphics without too high resource requirements (ruined H5 for me).
- Interesting story (sounds a lot more promising than H5).
- Great music.
- No DRM (according to Irina Kassina, who talked to the devs directly).

As for the gameplay and how the whole thing will be to play, we don't know until the final game is released, do we ... I think Angelspit gives you good advice here; I wouldn't listen to reviews alone, though. Pop by the forums and see what players have to say about it ... and pay special attention to what they're saying about the specific things you're unsure about.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 13 Aug 2011, 15:07

Kalah wrote:Well, some good reasons might be:
- Good graphics without too high resource requirements (ruined H5 for me).
- Interesting story (sounds a lot more promising than H5).
- Great music.
- No DRM (according to Irina Kassina, who talked to the devs directly).
Thank you, I thought the world was about to end with me making the most positive comments. :nervous: All is right with the force now and we are now safe until 2012 anyway. :-D

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 14 Aug 2011, 04:55

Heroes 6 is a unique new entry into the Heroes series that differs the game from all other games in the Heroes series. The developers are taking heaps of time to go to the needs of the fans, be it no DRM, making town windows, and delaying the game for more balance/polish. Overall it's going to be a unique TBS game that will constantly be developed over the next 2 years with expansions and downloadable content.

Or if you really want you can just wait until the 1st/2nd expansion and buy it when you know there's a database of custom maps as well as new factions. But if you want to support the future of the Might and Magic franchise buy the game at release

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Aug 2011, 14:19

It's true - you could wait until the expansions have been released. Indeed, the last expansion of H5 was a standalone, remember, so if you bought that, you got the whole game. Waiting would also give you access to the maps players have made, as well as the feedback of players who have (at that point) gained experience enough to actually guide you. There may even be walkthroughs available.

On the other hand ... if you are a true Heroes fan, you shouldn't be able to wait that long. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 14 Aug 2011, 14:44

Or you can be smooth like me and sell the original and the 1st expansion for the same prize as the 2nd standalone. :devil:
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Aug 2011, 13:37

I just think that reviewers cannot like the game in your instead. If you liked Heroes, you should give it a try. It's not like you're deciding to marry someone or to buy a car. Either way, it's you that will be playing the game and only you'll bring your own point of view of things.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 15 Aug 2011, 15:33

Panda Tar wrote:I just think that reviewers cannot like the game in your instead. If you liked Heroes, you should give it a try. It's not like you're deciding to marry someone or to buy a car. Either way, it's you that will be playing the game and only you'll bring your own point of view of things.
I thought they stopped making demos quite some time ago?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Aug 2011, 19:19

Did I say demo somewhere? ;| The try I've meant is actually buying the game, all of it.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 15 Aug 2011, 22:51

...no DRM...
That they eventually took it off is incomplete compensation for the fact that they added it on in the first place.
...making town windows...
Most people wanted town screens.
...delaying the game for more balance/polish.
I they suddenly decided it needed more polishing then they weren't ready in the first place.

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 17 Aug 2011, 18:24

I'm just grateful they are not going the 3DO route. 3DO after 1999 was basically just a machine pushing tons of junk out in beta form to be patch to normalcy later. I'm glad Ubi listened and is taking more time to fix these game details.

The saddest part is that they payed as much heed and gave about as much budget and time to Homm 4 as they might a junky Army Men spinoff.
Youtube has terminated my account without reason.

Please express why it should be reinstated on Twitter.

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 17 Aug 2011, 22:53

Hmm, looking back at my original post and the title of this thread, I think it came out more provocative than I wanted it to be. I guess I worded it poorly. Basically, I just wanted to ask for community opinions on why people think Heroes VI is going to be better than the Tribes of the East for multiplayer hotseat gaming.

utopis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

NO annoying load times

Unread postby utopis » 17 Aug 2011, 23:23

AI turns and Auto saves are very fast
As mentioned Graphics rule
Lots of new suprises
Beta is already more polished than homm5 upon realese

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 20 Aug 2011, 11:36

Heroes 6 seems to be slower paced than previous games. Creatures have a lot more hit points and they no longer have the attack skill so they do a lot less damage. For example, in previous Heroes games, a level 7 creature can kill 10 to 20 level 1 creatures in one hit. Even the weakest level 7 creature, the Bone Dragon, can kill about 6 Halberdiers, the toughest level 1 creature, in one hit. In Heroes 6, a champion creature can kill one or two core creatures in one hit. The Champion unit with the highest damage, the Enraged Cyclops, can only kill 3 Coral Priestesses, the Core creature with the lowest hit points, in one hit.
Last edited by vicheron on 20 Aug 2011, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”