New Beginnings: Godwine's HOMM World

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Godwine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

New Beginnings: Godwine's HOMM World

Unread postby Godwine » 09 Aug 2011, 20:51

(I originally posted this over at another HOMM site, but I thought I'd bring it over here to see what you folks think.)

Like many long-time HOMM fans, I find myself somewhat dissatisfied with the approach the series has taken for the more recent games. As such, I thought I’d try my hand at building a new world, not Ashan, Axeoth or Enroth, but somewhere completely new. So I’ve prepared my own HOMM universe with nine different factions. It's really a sort of pastiche of everything I most enjoy from all the various fantasy worlds out there. Below you’ll find my “codex” for the new factions with info on units, heroes, and history.

In creating these factions, I attempted to "scale back" the world to a more Dark Age feel, moving away from the ridiculous over-sized weapons and absurdly large-scale towns of HOMM5. I also implemented an 8-tier unit system, with the 8th tier representing a champion unit that is rare and powerful (and not spammed like HOMM2 Black Dragons). You will also notice that each faction has three hero types: one for might, one for magic, and one hybrid for "might AND magic."

So far I’ve only done the write-ups for two of the factions, but if there’s interest I will continue to post more. Info in italics represents my own thoughts on implementation or comparisons with former HOMMs, while regular text is “in-character,” so to speak. I’ll also be adding in music and image links as I am able.

I am Godwine, and this is my take on a new HOMM world.

CODEX

THE DWARVES
Town: Bastion
Aspect: Earth
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Inspiration: Norsemen, Scots

Mood Music

Summary:
The Dwarves are relative newcomers to HOMM, at least in having their own faction. While the concept is solid and based in classic archetypes, HOMM5’s implementation left a great deal to be desired. Thus, it is my privilege to devise a strong Dwarven faction that is a balance of Dwarf units and some fun flavor creatures. They’ve also moved away from fire magic to other elements, especially earth, but also ice and storms.

The Dwarven clans are a very solid “turtle” faction, with strong defensive units and abilities. While many of their early units are quite slow, they have a good balance of ranged units and flyers to make up for this deficiency. Their good collection of defensive spells also helps a dwarven player keep his troops alive while relentlessly hammering away at the enemy.

The Dwarven Bastion should be a mighty fortress hewn directly from the mountains themselves, resembling a cross between this, this, and this.

History: Coming Soon!

Units:
Axethrower --> Spearthrower
Recruited at the Forge

Swift-footed and keen-eyed, the Axethrowers are Dwarven youths trained in ranged combat. Though their weapons are deadly, the nature of the axe limits the effective distance of their throws, but allows them to be just as effective in melee as at range.

Spearthrowers are those who have proven their mettle with the throwing axe and taken up the use of the longer-ranged javelin. They are just as deadly as their axe-throwing brethren, with a slightly greater range. Their studded leather cuirasses provide greater defense as well.

Since so many other factions have archer units, it only makes sense that the melee-prone dwarves would use their axes and spears at range as well. The Axethrowers make up for their limited range with their lack of a melee penalty. Spearthrowers maintain the lack of a melee penalty with a slightly enhanced range.

The speedy Axethrowers wear leather jerkins over their tunic for protection. Spearthrowers have studded leather and some additional metal gear for added defense.

Warrior --> Housecarl
Recruited at the Warrior Hold

Dwarven Warriors are the mainstay of the clans’ armies. Equipped with heavy scale armor, broad shields, and axes forged from the finest dwarven steel, Warriors are a force to be reckoned with. They are brave, stalwart troops with solid morale, albeit they move somewhat slowly due to their heavy equipment.

The strongest and boldest of the Dwarven Warriors are the Housecarls, the elite bodyguards of noble thanes and chieftains. Their fine mail coats allow them both greater defense and added mobility. When pressed by greater foes, Housecarls lock their shields and present their enemies with an impregnable wall of steel.

These Warriors represent the classic, axe-wielding dwarven archetype. They are relatively slow, but do reasonable damage and have superb defense. The Housecarls’ “Shieldwall” ability greatly increases their defense at the cost of significantly reducing their movement.

The red-bearded Warriors are equipped with steel helms, axes, shields, and scale mail. The experienced Housecarls simply have improved versions of the Warriors’ equipment to illustrate their more prestigious rank.

Hermit --> Runemaster
Recruited at the Stone Circle

Hermits are dwarf wise men who have dedicated themselves to mastering the potent elemental magics of the earth and sky. Choosing to live in seclusion, they devote themselves to study and concentration to increase their skills. Equipped with sturdy oaken staves and tomes of runic lore, they are able to cull the very strength of the storms and mountains to empower the dwarven hosts.

Runemasters are those hermits who have truly mastered the key runes that empower dwarven earth magicks. After years of seclusion and study, Runemasters emerge as the elite of dwarven elementalists. Through their mystical skills, they are able to imbue their allies with the strength of the very stone upon which they stand.

Hermits and Runemasters are meant to replace HOMM5’s somewhat awkward “Rune Priest” tier. Both of these units attack with a potent “Ice Shard” ranged attack, that functions like an elementally-infused magic arrow. Hermits’ spellbooks contain “Stoneskin,” allowing the dwarves a good defensive buff at an early level. Runemasters can also cast “Might,” giving an equivalent offensive buff.

Hermits are grey-bearded old dwarves in heavy, hooded fur cloaks that protect them from the elements. Runemasters are more richly-attired, giving credence to their magical accomplishments.

Beorning --> Mithril Beorning
Recruited at the Beorning Caverns

Beornings are wild mountain bears that have been trained by the dwarves to maul their enemies with their claws. When these ferocious mountain creatures are unleashed on the battlefield, pandemonium ensues. To their foes’ chagrin, Beornings are enraged by pain and only fight more ferociously the longer they are attacked.

Mithril Beornings are the oldest and cleverest of their kind. Their dwarven handlers insist that they have a pact with the creatures and fight side by side. These mighty beasts are given heavy dwarven armor to better protect them in battle, making them almost an unstoppable destructive force.

Beornings are a new take on HOMM5’s bear riders. Considering the nature of ursine combat, I thought I would ditch the riders altogether and simply have these great bears as a dwarven “allied’ creature. Both units have the “Enrage” ability, which causes their attack to slowly increase the longer they themselves are attacked in combat. Mithril Beornings have a higher defense.

Regular Beornings are depicted simply as large brown bears. Mithril Beornings are white, and wear ornate battle armor.

Gryphon --> Gryphon Rider
Recruited at the Gryphon Aviary

Gryphons are proud creatures that appear to be a hybrid of eagles and lions. They are highly intelligent beasts, with a wild, independent temperament. Though most wild Gryphons are nigh untamable, a few recalcitrant dwarves have managed to train some of their more docile specimens to rend their enemies with beak and claw, yet leave friendly dwarves unharmed. They have an unconquerable spirit, and will never cease to fight back against a proven opponent.

Only the bravest, most enduring dwarves are able to train as Gryphon Riders. Though the Gryphons are valuable allies to the dwarves, they are still fiercely proud animals, and must be treated with the proper respect. Those who master the proper balance of training and bonding with the creature are able to attack from the skies with devastating effectiveness, but whether any given gryphon will ever take a rider is entirely up to the creature.

In the past few versions of HOMM, Gryphons have traditionally been linked with the human faction. I thought it was time for a nice change, and felt that they fit best with the dwarven faction in my new lore. Obviously both flying units, both Gryphons and Gryphon Riders also have “Unlimited Retaliation;” additionally, Gryphon Riders have the “Dive” ability, allowing them to launch a delayed strafing attack against a straight line of up to three consecutive enemy units.

Gryphons are handsome creatures with the front parts of an eagle, and the hind parts of a lion. Gryphon Riders equip their mounts with appropriate riding gear. Though armed, the riders generally just hang on for dear life while the Gryphons themselves do all the fighting.

Thane --> Elder Thane
Recruited at the Mead Hall

Thanes are great dwarven nobles and landholders who lead the clans into battle. Since their great wealth gives them access to the finest in dwarven arms and armor, Thanes often choose to equip themselves with mighty warhammers. Lesser dwarves look to their leadership in times of trouble, and they are not found wanting.

Elder Thanes are the wisest and most powerful clan patriarchs. They are among the mightiest dwarf warriors now living, and their enemies are the first to know it. The blows of their massive warhammers can cause the very earth itself to tremble.

I disliked how HOMM5 Thanes were supposed to be dwarves, and yet they were actually even taller than humans. That’s what giants are for. My Thanes make up for their dwarven stature with impressively large warhammers. They are excellent fighters all-around, with great initiative, albeit they have only average speed since they fight on foot. Elder Thanes have the “Shockwave” ability, temporarily stunning nearby foes for one round.

Thanes are equipped in horned helmets, fine furs and armor. Elder Thanes have the very finest equipment in the dwarf realms, with their winged helmets indicating the height of their social and military standing.

Valkyrie --> Shieldmaiden
Recruited at the Altar of Heroes

Called “the daughters of giants,” Valkyries are nowhere near the size of their Jotun kin, although they still have a few inches on the dwarves. Both elegant and strong, these warrior women ride into battle on mighty winged steeds. Bearing long spears and shields, they strike from above and bring death to those below.

Those Valkyries honored to be named Shieldmaidens are considered to be among the most accomplished warriors in the world, regardless of gender. In addition to their martial duties, Shieldmaidens are also given a sacred trust, to bear the souls of departed heroes to their reward in the afterlife. Should the need arise, these fallen heroes are known to fight alongside the mighty heroines who raised them, before departing at last for their eternal rest.

What good is any fantasy game without Valkyries? They are a mainstay of traditional fantasy. Valkyries are swift and deadly flyers. Shieldmaidens possess the “Valhalla” ability, which is a limited resurrection: they are able to restore the fallen numbers of any given stack, but only for one battle. Afterwards, the fallen heroes depart for the afterlife.

Valkyries wear winged helmets, ornate mail and their trademark azure cloaks. They keep their long golden hair in braids. Shieldmaidens have an additional fur edging to their cloaks and simply appear more well-armored as a whole.

Mountain Giant --> Jotun
Recruited at the Giants’ Mount

There have been Giants residing in the frozen northern mountains longer than anyone now living can remember. These enormous brutes are said to be the sons of the dwarves’ ancient earth deities. Their massive size and strength certainly lends credence to that belief. Mountain Giants hurl giant boulders at their enemies, and crush those that get too close underfoot.

The elder brethren of the Mountain Giants, Jotuns are powerful frost giants with an icy temperament to match. With icicles hanging from their great white beards, they are taller and burlier than their kin. The mighty Jotuns can even call down the fury of the skies upon their enemies in the form of dreadful winter tempests.

I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of giants as allies of the dwarves, as depicted in the Disciples franchise among others. I also think it fits with the Nordic flavor I’ve given the dwarves: hence the Jotuns. Mountain Giants throw boulders at range and stomp enemies at melee. Jotuns do the same, but can also cast the “Blizzard” ability, temporarily blinding opponents and doing fair damage over time.

Mountain Giants are massive beings with big brown beards. Jotuns have frosty, purplish skin and frozen white beards and hair.

Heroes:
Vanguard
Hero of Might

Vanguards are the greatest of dwarven champions. They are the first to lead an army into battle, and the last to retreat from the field. Indomitable, stout-hearted warriors, they never give in to defeat, whether they’re engaged with a ferocious dragon or a particularly large mug of ale. Vanguards bear large, double-bladed axes, and lead by example, hewing down their foes with ease.

Runekeeper
Hero of Might and Magic

Runekeepers bear a sacred burden: they are the proud guardians of the dwarves’ holy runic tomes. As the defenders of these mystical texts, they are able to draw on a measure of the elemental magic contained therein in order to better protect their charges. Possessing equal cleverness and fortitude, Runekeepers defend the honor of Dwarvendom with both blade and book.

Sage
Hero of Magic

Sages are the greatest scholars of the dwarves’ elemental rune magicks. These wizened old casters possess an uncanny knack for harnessing the fury of the wind and culling the strength of the very earth itself. Often underestimated because of their diminutive stature, Sages tend to have the last laugh once their enemies have half a mountain dropped on them.

Characters:
Heremod
Vanguard

The chieftain of the Bearmantle clan, Heremod is one of the most influential dwarven leaders. Though his clan is one of the smallest in the mountain holds, no one can doubt the stoutness of his heart, or the sharpness of his axe. His prowess in battle has been proven time and again, as is evidenced by the growing tally of orc skulls kept in his treasure vault. When he speaks, others listen.

Ability:
Battle Master - Heremod's great battle reputation inspires the Warriors and Housecarls in his army, and they gain +1 to their attack and defense ratings for every two of his levels.

THE UNDEAD
Town: Necropolis
Aspect: Death
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Inspiration: Transylvania, Ancient Egypt

Mood Music

Summary:
The Necromancers have been a mainstay of the franchise since HOMM2, so no new universe would really be complete without them. I'm not really a fan of HOMM6's spider-themed undead, because it seems to be focused more on the spider cult than on actual undeath. Thus, my undead are based more on the familiar archetypes.

All Necropolis units are undead, with everything that that implies: immunity to morale and mind-affecting spells, vulnerability to light or holy magic. The Undead faction has a unique set of limitations and bonuses. Their initial units are slow, but plentiful. They have a dearth of ranged attackers but compensate with multiple flyers.

The Necropolis itself should be depicted as a kind of corrupted pyramid in the midst of an ancient, partially unearthed ruin. I'm imagining a sort of fusion between this, this and this.

History:
Decent into Darkness
from Cleric Dunstan’s History of the Magi, Chapter 37

The Cult of the Skull originated centuries ago as a secret faction among the Wizards' Sanctum. The first Necromancers dabbled in forbidden magic, trying to create life from death and spawning a host of abominations. As more of the magi were introduced to their cabalistic rituals, what began as unfettered experimentation among a small circle soon gave rise to an entire underground movement. Their arcane indiscretions kept a closely guarded secret, the power of the Cult continued to grow, with a few of their more influential members even obtaining some of the coveted seats in the Conclave, the Wizards’ ruling council. One of their most prominent converts was Anastasia, daughter of Dareios, the most prominent Archmage on the council.

As their power increased, so too did the Necromancers’ arrogance; ultimately, at the greatest nadir of their corruption, the Cult of the Skull attempted to dethrone the Conclave and usurp control over all of the Magi. However, the combined power of the remaining wizards proved too great even for the potent magicks of the Necromancers, and they were defeated. As many of the cultists were also members of prominent Wizard families, the Conclave could not bring themselves to execute their fallen scions outright. Instead, they banished them forever to the Desolation, a vast, impassable desert where they were almost certain to perish anyway.

The Rise of a New Blight
from Cleric Dunstan’s History of the Magi, Chapter 38

Unbeknownst to the Conclave, many of the Cultists had already undergone the Rite of the Dark Embrace, passing over into undeath as vampires. As such, these individuals were immune to the debilitating effects of mortality, and were able to carry on while many of their mortal kin perished by the wayside in the Desolation. As their banishment grew from weeks to months, the Necromancers, led by Anastasia, felt themselves drawn ever deeper into the desert, as if by some unknown power. After enduring many months of hardship in the endless wastes, the Necromancers stumbled upon the ruins of an ancient, long-forgotten civilization.

Working tirelessly for days, they unearthed a vast necropolis of monolithic structures. At the heart of these ruins was a massive pyramidal structure, to which Anastasia in particular felt drawn. Whereas the pyramid was somehow magically sealed against all her necromantic brethren, upon Anastasia’s touch a hidden portal opened into the heart of the structure. What happened after she descended into the depths of this tomb is now shrouded in mystery. What is known is that Anastasia unleashed a powerful dark being that had been bound within for centuries. This entity wields an unheard-of amount of necromantic magicks, and is presumably responsible for the reanimation of innumerable undead minions within the reaches of this fallen realm, and the formation of a new Empire of Death in the barren wastes of the Desolation.

Nemesis Bound?
from A Chronicle of the Inscrutable East, author unknown, currently in the possession of Archmage Dareios CI

…I write now of things many have intentionally forgotten. Though even the very existence of the “Evenspecter” is discounted by most historians as a fable, a children’s story, my research indicates that such an individual not only existed but was in fact the self-same “Dark Emperor” whom we all claim was defeated so many millennia ago by our distant ancestors, even though the details elude us. How he persisted in the rule of such an empire over so many centuries is another matter we can only guess at, though assuredly black magic was involved. While we may surmise this subject to be a non-issue, a threat neutralized so long ago that it has passed into myth, I am now confident that the great threat faced by our distant ancestors seven thousand years ago was not destroyed, merely chained. If I am correct, such an incantation can be loosed only by one bearing the blood of those who first laid the seals. Again, if my theories hold true, that lineage is now vested solely in the House of Dareios.

(Beneath these words, the rest of the page has been torn off.)

Units:
Skeleton --> Skeleton Warrior
Recruited at Unearthed Graves

Skeletons are ancient remains that have been reanimated by necromancers to serve as the most menial of laborers. Possessing no will or intelligence of their own, skeletons exist solely to do their masters’ unholy bidding. They are armed only with crude tools for performing whatever tasks their masters have assigned them, and do not hold up well in prolonged battles. Nevertheless, the great ease with which these mindless peons are raised makes them too useful to ignore.

Skeleton Warriors comprise the most basic infantry of the Necromancers’ dark forces. Armed with rusty blades, battered shields, and whatever scraps of ruined armor can be scrounged together for them, they last longer and do more damage than their unarmed counterparts.

Considering the fact that high-level necromancers can literally raise thousands of these troops, I figured they ought to be a bit weaker than they’ve appeared in previous versions. Possessing no minds of their own, they are immune to fear and low morale, but also have very mediocre initiative. Troops recruited from other factions can be converted to skeletons at the Slaughterhouse.

Basic Skeletons are unarmored and only equipped with pickaxes, while Skeleton Warriors have swords, shields, and some rusty armor.

Zombie --> Ghoul
Recruited at the Graveyard

Zombies are freshly raised corpses, still clad in the decaying remnants of their burial clothes. They are lumbering, witless monstrosities that are driven only by an insatiable hunger for living flesh. They are poorly equipped, fighting only with bits of broken wood or even their bare hands.

Ghouls are zombies that have decayed to the point of being unrecognizable. These festering corpses are rife with foul diseases, which they can transmit to their living opponents. They are stronger, fiercer and more ravenous than ordinary zombies, and move with a slightly less awkward gait.

Throughout the series, zombies have always been slow, ineffective troops. While their slow speed seems appropriate, I felt that they needed a bit more utility than they have previously had. Their hunger allows them to increase in speed and initiative as they draw closer to their opponents, and the ghouls’ “Disease” ability can decrease both the defense and morale of stricken foes.

I never liked HOMM5's bloated Zombies, so I've moved back to a more traditional appearance. While Zombies are rotting, lumbering simpletons clad in rags, Ghouls present a more ravenous, feral appearance.

Mummy --> Royal Mummy
Recruited at the Pyramid

Mummies are the embalmed bodies of ancient nobles and dark magi, preserved for centuries in forgotten tombs. Possessing much of their former malice, they delight in sharing their agony with their victims. They are wrapped in old linen bandages and armed with cursed artifacts of their ancient civilization.

Royal Mummies are the remains of the greatest leaders of the fallen desert civilization. The spirits of many of these dark magicians persisted even after their deaths, and thus they were bound inside their tombs in an attempt to imprison them for eternity. Unleashed by the Necromancers, these evil beings now roam free, bringing debilitating curses down upon their foes.

Mummies have gotten fairly short shrift in the series as of late, but the modified lore of my Necropolis faction granted them a key place in the lineup. Mummies are much more well-preserved than either skeletons or zombies, and so they are able to move a bit faster. The Royal Mummies’ “Curse” ability severely decreases an enemy unit’s attack.

Mummies are depicted as the standard moaning, bandaged figures, while Royal Mummies are equipped with ornate golden weapons and jewelry.

Vampire --> Vampire Lord
Recruited at the Crypt

Once mortal followers of the necromantic cult, Vampires have made an insidious bargain, exchanging their humanity for immortality and eternal youth. This dark pact carried a terrible cost, for Vampires now thirst for the blood of their living brethren. Clad in elegant capes and robes, these dark beings are as arrogant as they are deadly.

Clad in sumptuous finery, Vampire Lords boast of their power and prestige. They were once among the most prominent leaders of the old Cult of the Skull, and they continue to lead the undead hordes after their own rebirth into undeath. Proud aristocrats as well as vicious fighters, their longevity is sustained by the blood of their enemies. Vampire lords’ dark aura is so potent that their foes are unable to defend against it.

Both Vampires and Vampire Lords are flyers, both use the “Life Drain” ability to restore their lost hit points, and Vampire Lords are also “Unassailable,” meaning enemies cannot retaliate against their attacks.

Vampires have had many changing looks over the series, but I think I prefer the classic look to the uglier “nosferatu” style of HOMM3. Regular Vampires arrogantly clothe themselves in rich attire. Vampire Lords delve even farther into ostentatious gear, demonstrating both their pride and wealth.

Wight --> Wraith
Recruited at the Barrow Downs

Wights are restless souls, cursed to remain half in the mortal world and half in the next. Taking the form of dark wanderers shrouded in robes of black, their features appear gaunt and skeletal. Filled with malice, their ice-cold touch drains the life-force from their victims.

Wraiths are dark phantoms inhabiting the fallen bones of the long-dead. Cursed by their avarice to wander the mortal world for eternity, they are ever seeking greater wealth and power, even in undeath. They are armed with jeweled scepters from the rich tombs they have plundered and claimed as their own accursed dwellings. The arcane energies they leach from their mortal victims re-invigorates their own twisted limbs.

The lore behind these units has always seemed a little bit ambiguous to me, so I thought they deserved a bit more back story. Both wights and wraiths are considered flying units, and the wraiths’ “Mana Drain” ability steals magic from enemies to regenerate their own lost vitality/hit points.

Wights are shrouded in dark, tattered cloaks, while Wraiths wear the loot from their tomb-robbing atop their rags.

Lich --> Demilich
Recruited at the Mausoleum

Desirous of extending their pursuit of power and knowledge beyond the grave, Liches are deviant sorcerers who have undergone an unholy ritual. Having traded their vitality for an eternity unfettered by mortal needs, they appear as desiccated, skeletal mages. Delusional with power, Liches are even vainer than the vampires, arraying themselves with kingly attire that they have accumulated over several lifetimes. Their potent death magicks cause their enemies to decompose and crumble to dust.

Most Demiliches are thousands of years old, having obtained unheard of levels of magical potency. As they continue to delve ever deeper into the Aether in search of greater power, the incantations holding their skeletal bodies together begin to wane, causing them to ever so slowly fall apart. Most Demiliches disregard this condition, considering themselves to be beyond the necessity for lowly corporal shells.

Liches and Demiliches are the only ranged units of the Necropolis, casting “Decay,” an ability that produces deadly clouds of entropy that affect several hexes at once. Demiliches also have several dark spells at their disposal, including “Raise Dead,” “Curse,” and “Plague.”

The skeletal Liches wear regal attire. Though their very skeletons are crumbling, Demiliches clothe themselves in the richest finery.

Death Knight --> Death Lord
Recruited at the Black Citadel

In a former life, many of the dark, brooding warriors known as Death Knights were once valiant guardians or paladins. Now they have forsaken the world of the living, making a pact with death in exchange for power. Equipped with enchanted armor and deadly, cursed broadswords, Death Knights are truly formidable opponents. Though some have retained their humanity, their souls are surely damned.

The fearsome Death Lords are the greatest warriors of all the Death Knights, encased in massive suits of armor that are inscribed with dark runes. Mounted on fell steeds, they are quick, silent, and deadly warriors. Their dreaded runeblades are so lethal that they occasionally bring instant death to lesser foes.

The concept of Death Knights brings a lot of baggage; most fantasy series tend to have them, but each interprets them differently. Some franchises even have more than one interpretation. In attempting to create my own version of these dark warriors, I really just fused together archetypes from the various other series. Death Lords’ “Deathblow” ability has a small chance of doing double damage.

Death Knights wear imposing dark armor and carry cursed blades; Death Lords take the same look to a greater extreme.

Champion:
Bone Dragon --> Frost Wyrm
Recruited at the Wyrm Vault

In life, Bone Dragons were among some of the most ferocious of their draconic kin. Now raised as skeletal shades of their former selves, they are some of the deadliest servants of the Necromancers. Though their bones are now devoid of flesh, their teeth and claws are as sharp as they ever were in life. The terrifying visage of the Bone Dragons may kindle fear in the hearts of even the most courageous warriors.

Even more terrifying than their Bone Dragon kin, Frost Wyrms can only be summoned forth by the dark magicks of the greatest Necromancers. Raised from the bones of the feral ice dragons of the northern mountains, they are ensorcelled with the chilling fury of the tomb. Not content merely to rend their prey limb from limb, Frost Wyrms breathe forth icy death, freezing their hapless enemies to the bone.

I never liked how in previous versions, Bone Dragons often seemed to not be as good as other factions’ top tiers, nor was I a fan of Spectral or Ghost Dragons at all, which seemed like they ought to be weaker than dragons who still had their bones. This represents an attempt to rehabilitate them a bit. Both flying units, the Bone Dragons and Frost Wyrms also share the “Terrify” ability, which reduces nearby enemies’ morale. Frost Wyrms’ “Frost Breath” attack has a chance of temporarily freezing enemies solid.

Heroes:
Reaver
Hero of Might

Tasked with obtaining ever greater numbers of corpses to replenish the armies of the Undead, Reavers are little more than glorified butchers. Whereas noble knights take oaths of chivalry, these sinister warriors enter into a dark covenant, shedding the blood of their foes to augment their own strength with their enemies’ pain. Reavers wear menacing, skeletal-looking armor and use brutal implements of torture as their weapons. They tend to ignore more arcane pursuits, reveling instead in warfare and bloodshed.

Death Knight
Hero of Might and Magic

The most powerful of the Death Knights are appointed as commanders of the Undead armies. They are ruthless and relentless harbingers of death, riding into battle at the head of legions of the corpses. Although not as adept as Necromancers, Death Knights are still quite skilled in the use of death magicks, raising fallen enemies to replenish their armies after every battle. Death Knights are those adepts of the necromantic arts whose talents also include martial ability.

Necromancer
Hero of Magic

Necromancy is a shortcut to raw power, and many powerful sorcerers having succumbed to its dark temptation throughout the centuries. The practitioners of these dark arts, known as necromancers, harness the power of death to serve their own nefarious purposes. They are masters at raising undead servants and cursing their enemies, but the prolonged use of their dark magicks carries a heavy price: slowly draining the life-force of the caster, and ultimately transforming them into liches. Of course, those who have already partaken of the vampiric Dark Embrace are immune to these debilitating effects.

Characters:
Anastasia
Necromancer

The only daughter of Archmage Dareios, Anastasia was destined for a life of great influence and power. She seemingly threw away that prestigious future when she was banished alongside the rest of the Cult of the Skull. However, now transformed into an immortal Vampire Princess, she serves as the powerful right-hand woman of the mysterious Dark Emperor, enjoying greater prestige than she ever would have in the Wizard Conclave.

Ability:
Lady of the Dead - The most powerful surviving Necromancer of the old Cult of the Skull, Anastasia is able to raise 10% more undead after every battle.

THE WIZARDS
Town: Sanctum
Aspect: Life
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Inspiration: Byzantium, the Moors, Persia

Coming Soon...

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 29 Aug 2011, 13:39

I really like you concept so far.
If there are any things I would critisize, it is the name of the Beornings. I myself am from scandinavia and the word for bear is mostly written "bjørn" and best written in english as beorn. So I get the name Beornings, but I find it abit bland and uninspiring. But being my creative self, I couldnt come up with any suitible alternatives. Maybe just call them beast and mountain beast, and having them being more beast like than bear like? I dont know.
I like the re-intreduction of mummies, and the way you're portraing them.
I also like the concept of the dwarven faction, though I am still a fan of gryphons being part of the human faction, but that's just my oldschool thinking.
The reintroduction of black knights, also very nive. Something I've missed the HoMM games lately.
Looking forward to read some more of you concept ideas...

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 29 Aug 2011, 15:47

Hi Godwine, as far as factions go, your take on a new HoMM world appears virtually identical to previoius HoMMs. :(

On the other hand, your organization and layout is excellent. :)

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 29 Aug 2011, 15:54

In the past few versions of HOMM, Gryphons have traditionally been linked with the human faction.
Torur wrote: I also like the concept of the dwarven faction, though I am still a fan of gryphons being part of the human faction, but that's just my oldschool thinking.
Is there a creature who has switched sides even more than griffin? Talking about traditions in griffin alignment is odd. For old-school players he is a warlock creature.
Valkyrie --> Shieldmaiden
Lich --> Demilich
Directions i strongly disagree with. I know DD or something very autorithorian started the demilich thing, while if they really wanted the "demi"suffic they should have used demigod of death or demiether. Having human warriors to upgrade into halflings is IMO weird. The same way mortality is hardly an upgrade for valkyrie.

When i first read the post i had many more negative emotions, but fortunately have forgotten them by now. :)

AzureDrg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AzureDrg » 29 Aug 2011, 18:55

The creatures of these factions look nice - actually the whole thing looks nice, so good work there! Which makes me sad, as I'm reading (and I'm probably gonna read if you post again) nice stuff that should but won't be in the game. Well, I guess we need to keep the dream alive..And start implementing/prototyping stuff when we find time :D

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 30 Aug 2011, 08:03

Pitsu wrote: Is there a creature who has switched sides even more than griffin? Talking about traditions in griffin alignment is odd. For old-school players he is a warlock creature.
I know what you mean, but for me H3 almost always ends up being my referance point to how I like things the most. Pluss, alot of other games, books, movies, series, ect. with fantasy themes have the gryphon as a human aligned creature and often showed as the royal emblem of some sort.

intipacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby intipacha » 30 Aug 2011, 21:37

sorry, but... like.. what's the point of this? what do you mean to do with it?

i dont wanna be rude or anything, really. just interested..

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Aug 2011, 21:55

I think you should start writing for the Might & Magic X Project.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Sep 2011, 18:18

intipacha wrote:sorry, but... like.. what's the point of this? what do you mean to do with it?

i dont wanna be rude or anything, really. just interested..
The point is that he has too much time on his hands... man, i miss when i did too...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 29 Sep 2011, 18:09

ThunderTitan wrote: i miss when i did too...
So you're finally executing the plans for carrying out all those death threats...

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 29 Sep 2011, 20:02

That's really funny, I thought about making an "own Heroes" 2 days ago and had plans to post it as well :P

My aim is a redone faction system as well as some changes in the overall Heroes system that would allow smoother gameplay, unique playstyle, more personal choices but without removing iconic units and streamlining everything.

Haven't read all of your post but I plan on doing so!
I wish you good luck with your further ideas ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2011, 09:09

mr.hackcrag wrote: So you're finally executing the plans for carrying out all those death threats...
Doing that is what got me here in the first place...

Having to post under all those accounts is very time consuming... why do you think asandir retired... working under aussie hours was murder...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 11 Oct 2011, 03:06

ThunderTitan wrote: why do you think asandir retired... working under aussie hours was murder...
Maybe... or maybe he was on your hit list and YOU murdered him! 8|

malgor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby malgor » 15 Oct 2011, 15:53

Godwine, I loved it.

Personally I don't care what other people think about it, if you enjoy writing this up, then more power to you for doing so.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”