Let's talk town conversions...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Let's talk town conversions...

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Jul 2011, 12:42

Anyone else think they're way too abusable as they are now?!

I mean if i have the money every time i capture a town i pretty much can deprive the enemy of a bunch of buildings, and it's worse with teh AI as it always seems to do it and it's obviously gonna get free money at higher levels...

Giving it a few days to happen would really help eliminate the annoying hit and run conversions the AI was doing while i was playing the orc campaign yesterday...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 25 Jul 2011, 08:37

I think so to. You really lose a piece of the game with this conversion stuff. One thing I always liked was that as a game progressed you'd always end up with a mixed army since you had access to many different towns. I think now you loose some tactical depth with the conversions and its bloody annoying when the AI does one of those hit and run conversions.

Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 25 Jul 2011, 08:39

Something like a delay of say, three days or something would nice.
"I did put the fires out."
"You made them worse!"
"Worse?!... Or better?"

Wurtzel
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wurtzel » 25 Jul 2011, 09:29

Torur wrote:I think so to. You really lose a piece of the game with this conversion stuff. One thing I always liked was that as a game progressed you'd always end up with a mixed army since you had access to many different towns. I think now you loose some tactical depth with the conversions and its bloody annoying when the AI does one of those hit and run conversions.
Tis my understanding, and correct me if it's not the case, that you don't have to covert towns you capture.. Therefore why would you not have mixed armies if that's what you desire??
I THINK SO THEREFORE I AM

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 25 Jul 2011, 10:35

honestly i think it will work really well in campaigns. In multiplayer matches i'm quite happy with it, especially on large maps with many players. However, on small maps with few towns it's not really welcome as a good strategy, i could imagine the multiplayer players wouldn't be impressed, some going so far as to create a rule not to convert towns in mp matches.

Would be great as a switchable feature for skirmish/random map (when it comes in)/multiplayer but they probably won't do that since if they did that with most of the new features it would end up like H3 WoG and it would be very confusing to new players.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jul 2011, 10:59

Wurtzel wrote:Tis my understanding, and correct me if it's not the case, that you don't have to covert towns you capture.. Therefore why would you not have mixed armies if that's what you desire??
Each town contributes to creature growth... not converting one = less creatures, and since you can hire all units from any town (common growth pool) you'd give up instant extra units each week.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 25 Jul 2011, 11:05

Wurtzel wrote: Tis my understanding, and correct me if it's not the case, that you don't have to covert towns you capture.. Therefore why would you not have mixed armies if that's what you desire??
Isn't that obvious? If you convert then your kingdom produces only 7 units which all can be assembled into a single strong army. If you do not convert you can only have several armies which all are weaker than the combined one. Army strength vs variable setup is the question and unless your victory is already decided strength matters more. It sure doesn't help game replayability though.

PS. not played and not planning to play H6 anytime soon.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jul 2011, 11:17

Actually i think you might be able to use creatures from the captured town by hiring them before the conversion...

And from the looks of it you don't even lose any units from it, as converting, at least after you hired your own troops, gives you 0 of your own troops to be hired.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 25 Jul 2011, 11:44

Wurtzel wrote:Tis my understanding, and correct me if it's not the case, that you don't have to covert towns you capture.. Therefore why would you not have mixed armies if that's what you desire??
Well you can mix if you want, but there is no benefint from it really. You cant really commit to the new units. Say you play Haven and you capture a Sylvan town and you think "hey, I would like to mix my army alittle." And after 3 weeks of investing units and resources into the plan, a necro hero comes along and "BOOM!" now you have no accsess to sylvan town. And that leaves you with 3 weeks of useless sylvan units, that could have been well spent on you own insted.

Plus if there is no conversion, all the players are forced to use the best they can form whatever towns they capture.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Let's talk town conversions...

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 25 Jul 2011, 14:56

hit and run conversions
I feared this would happen long before anything H6-related was released (and sadly, it has happened). Ah, well, bargain bin it is, then.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 25 Jul 2011, 15:29

Someone appraise me of what exactly happens when you convert a town. I converted one, and noticed that (for sure) none of the unit-producing dwellings were lost, so ...

And lol @ hit-and-run conversions. If you're losing key unit-producing towns to the enemy, you're in trouble. You've got more things to worry about than your opponent converting your towns :|
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jul 2011, 15:49

With the size of the maps and the fact that heroes don't need units an enemy can easily get into one of your secondary towns while your main hero is out of reach...

I'm sure in balance MP maps it won't be an issue, but i'd rather it not be in SP either...

As for teh buildings being lost, might be because of the campaign limits i guess... will have to check.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 25 Jul 2011, 20:30

I agree with TT. Besides instant conversion shouldn't be possible (or should be limited to MP games) in a turn based strategy. H5 had alternate creatures and you could instantly convert them to one another (for a laughable price) which also ruined the gameplay for me.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Jul 2011, 20:46

It sounds converting towns is throghouly easy. How do you do that? I mean, is there a cost? When I saw someone commenting on that during the video, I thought it would be something really costly, or depending on leadership/morale, anything on that matter, but nothing too easy and too fast.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 25 Jul 2011, 23:18

Banedon wrote:And lol @ hit-and-run conversions. If you're losing key unit-producing towns to the enemy, you're in trouble. You've got more things to worry about than your opponent converting your towns :|
Now every town is key unit-producing. And it is equally money generating. And extra-rare-resource producing. Oh, wait, there is only one rare resource! Conversions can not spoil this fun, it is spoiled by design. :devious:

By the way, do units remain to be hired after you convert a town? Cause if they do remain - this is one more reason to convert every single town you capture. If you don't - your enemy will, and he'll increase his army with those creatures. Or at least you have to buy those (unneeded) creatures before the town is captured.
Panda Tar wrote:It sounds converting towns is throghouly easy. How do you do that? I mean, is there a cost? When I saw someone commenting on that during the video, I thought it would be something really costly, or depending on leadership/morale, anything on that matter, but nothing too easy and too fast.
Yes, there is a cost. But it's a new feature, so it will not be too expensive. Expensive features are hard to promote ;) And right now it seems to be "a must do" thing. If you have resources - converting town gives you so many benefits, while there may be no other way to use those resources as efficiently.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jul 2011, 16:27

Panda Tar wrote:It sounds converting towns is throghouly easy. How do you do that? I mean, is there a cost?
Initially it's 1500g, 5 ore, 5 wood... it takes more after a few times, but not by much... never saw it rise above 2500g...

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 26 Jul 2011, 18:13

As I posted in this somewhere else, town conversion prices seems to be fixed by now and they increase with each built structure:

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 26 Jul 2011, 19:13

I still am not sure if this is a good idea... In my opinion this conversion should take like one week time, esp. if the city is like level 3. Makes no sense to build each and every structure day by day and than someone coming and BANG! Take this conversion and loose all your stuff (creatures included) in one day.

Plus, why you can't hire Heroes in the Forts and why the heck you need to convert them forts as they don't have not even one, whatever, special racial or whatever building in them?

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 27 Jul 2011, 07:41

parcaleste wrote:Plus, why you can't hire Heroes in the Forts and why the heck you need to convert them forts as they don't have not even one, whatever, special racial or whatever building in them?
For the extra creatures every week if I'm not mistaken.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 27 Jul 2011, 15:34

Avonu wrote:As I posted in this somewhere else, town conversion prices seems to be fixed by now and they increase with each built structure:
Ah, now it sounds less cheap...however this sudden convertion still sounds inadequate. I even dare to say that if they mean to convert a town, it shouldn't even be accessible while converting (the more buildings in the town, the more the time to convert), not available for even a garrison, but a converting town could be attacked and the convertion could be stopped. Even Reputation could be thrown in this feature, like having a certain reputation could give a speed bonus on converting, as also giving a penalty.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”