Clash of Heroes HD coming to PC

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Oct 2011, 14:57

mr.hackcrag wrote: And puzzle games should not be so heavily focused on single player campaigns. There should be a lot of focus on single and multi player matches where there are lots of gameplay modes and options to create varied matches and give longevity to the game.
It's not exactly a straight up puzzle game... i'd call it a RPG with puzzl-ish combat... and RPG's are about SP story traditionally.

And i'm guessing the elite/champion units doing so much dmg is intentional and you're supposed to counter it... i just prefer slower dmg games...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 03 Oct 2011, 15:42

If you're one of the people that isn't into the game, then stop being a noob and saying you know everything becaue you played a DEMO. To compare the earlier arguement I made; If you didn't like Call of Duty, would you criticize it to people who have established it as a great game? A crappy demo that is the worst demo in the case of demos. I don't normally even play demos because demos are not my thing. I don't get how you're riding so much on a demo that lasts for about .1% of the game length.

mr.hackcrag wrote:
ChimTheGrim wrote:And if you're unable to buck down a whole $15 (worth 2 meals at any fast food restaurant) for this epic kick-ass game, then it's your fault.
Saying that a game is cheap, so ignore it's imperfections is like saying your two meals of fast food were cheap, so ignore the fact that it has rat hair in it.
The game is critically acclaimed across all publications and was rated #81 in IGN's top 100 modern games list. What rat hair is in it that you made up?

*Watch the M&M: Clash of Heroes top 100 modern games entry on the list here:
http://www.ign.com/top/modern-games/81

---

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 04 Oct 2011, 14:31

ChimTheGrim wrote:The game is critically acclaimed across all publications and was rated #81 in IGN's top 100 modern games list. What rat hair is in it that you made up?
Where's the perfect score? ;| Anyway, you completely missed the point of my argument.
ChimTheGrim wrote:I've played over 300 games online, and I can say it is pretty balanced.
Well I've played over 400 games online and I can say there is some imbalance. ;|

;|

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 05 Oct 2011, 05:52

Instead of insulting your intelligence like you did to me, I'll attempt to explain to you why the game isn't imbalanced as if you would listen the whole thing anyway:

The game is meant to have a luck factor. Not every game will be the same due to what units you pick and draw, much like in a game like a card game such as poker or another extreme--magic the gathering. Your picks are just as important as your ability to play the game. Even in Warcraft III this luck factor exists because you may get creep jacked by luck--some games have luck (as does M&M:H6, HoMM2, HoMM3... I think you get it).

The only imbalances I notice are artifacts (which I opt to always play without) and at times the hero ability, but in most cases if you know how to play the game the hero ability is roughly fair play (if you pick right). The only imbalance I will agree with is the artifacts. Certain ones are clearly better than the others which makes playing with artifacts pointless because everyone will pick the same 2 artifacts every game. Other than that, Varkas' hero ability is slightly imbalanced. What else do you think is imbalanced? My record is 189 wins to 135 losses (ChimChim21 on PSN). Are you sure you don't just suck at the game?

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 06 Oct 2011, 03:36

Don't confuse sarcasm with insults. I respect your intelligence.

The main point of my last few posts had nothing to do with CoH. I was just highlighting the flaws in your reasoning. There's no need to go on and on about how other people might be noobs and suck.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 06 Oct 2011, 18:21

mr.hackcrag wrote:Don't confuse sarcasm with insults. I respect your intelligence.

The main point of my last few posts had nothing to do with CoH. I was just highlighting the flaws in your reasoning. There's no need to go on and on about how other people might be noobs and suck.
You're making some interesting points. If I was going "on and on about why people might suck" then why is it that the first 90% of the post was about the luck factor in the game (and in games in general). And not about anything else. I mentioned that you might suck because some of the flaws you bring up are very obviously noob-esk in nature.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 07 Oct 2011, 05:13

What are you talking about?

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 09 Oct 2011, 15:47

If you look at what I said in this paragraph:
he game is meant to have a luck factor. Not every game will be the same due to what units you pick and draw, much like in a game like a card game such as poker or another extreme--magic the gathering. Your picks are just as important as your ability to play the game. Even in Warcraft III this luck factor exists because you may get creep jacked by luck--some games have luck (as does M&M:H6, HoMM2, HoMM3... I think you get it).

The only imbalances I notice are artifacts (which I opt to always play without) and at times the hero ability, but in most cases if you know how to play the game the hero ability is roughly fair play (if you pick right). The only imbalance I will agree with is the artifacts. Certain ones are clearly better than the others which makes playing with artifacts pointless because everyone will pick the same 2 artifacts every game. Other than that, Varkas' hero ability is slightly imbalanced. What else do you think is imbalanced? My record is 189 wins to 135 losses (ChimChim21 on PSN). Are you sure you don't just suck at the game?
I didn't go on and on about why people might be noobs or suck. I went on and on about the luck factor in the game that is in many other games. I then mentioned that you are likely a noob. So yea, that happened at the end to top off my point.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 11 Oct 2011, 02:51

I see.

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 18 Oct 2011, 11:12

CoH relies too muhc on luck...especially agaisnt some pre-set fights.

It's a fun little game. I do hate the story ending. The whole last bit in the Silver Cities is horrible IMHO.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 18 Oct 2011, 16:13

Let me give you luck examples:
-The initial draw: You have an initial set of unit on the board. Yes, if you get a champion and the other guy doesn't, that is luck.

-Your picks: If you picked 1 champion and 1 elite, and all you get is the elite all game, then you should've either A) expected the possibility. or B) Planned to link cores with the elites or try to fuse when you can.
More about picks: If you want to designate a specific elite or champion unit, all you need to do is pick only one. For instance, pick only the Raksasha if the Raksasha is the only pick you want to draw all game (as in, don't pick a 2nd pick--leave it empty).

Let me give you some common mistakes:
-Picking your hero just for fun: For instance, if your opponent picks Varkas and you pick a hero that you don't know how to counter Varkas' special ability, then you don't know what you're doing. I always pick Azexes or Nadia.

-Not making walls in the correct columns: I see this all the time. A guy stacks walls in the middle or on one side and doesn't put them up where they are needed (like in front of a champion unit that is about to hit). If you prepare with the 4 or 5 turns you have to, then often times you can make a good defense in the right spot.

-Not setting up 2 to 3 links at least when a champion attacks: Often times new players think that champions are so strong that nothing else is needed. A good player knows how to make walls in the right rows. So link!

If "it relies too much on luck," then why do I see people make these mistakes ALL THE TIME (unless they are ranked players). There are moves that you don't always see that can make you think it is 'based on luck.' Your perception is not reality.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 18 Oct 2011, 18:15

Maybe higher tier units should have a cooldown when they attack or are killed so each player knows when they can expect to receive a higher tier unit.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 19 Oct 2011, 05:26

If I was going to make a balance change, it would be to the champion units. Make them each have 1 extra turn longer. I think, then the game would make a little more sense, because you would have time to focus on links and fusing.

So the stats would be like this:

Emerald Dragon: 5 turns (instead of 4)
Treant: 6 turns (instead of 5)

Angel: 7 turns (instead of 6)
Griffin: 6 turns (instead of 5)
SwordMaster (should be called Paladin [HoMM2]): 7 turns (instead of 6)

Death Knight: 7 turns (instead of 6)
Bone Dragon: 6 turns (instead of 5)

Abyssal Lord: 6 turns (instead of 5)
Pit Fiend: 6 turns (instead of 5)

Titan: 7 turns (instead of 6)
Raksasha: 6 turns (instead of 5)
Phoenix: 6 turns (instead of 5)

If they did this, i think it would make slightly more sense due to the fact that a lot of people are just picking only champion units most of the time (when playing without artifacts).

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 19 Oct 2011, 06:05

ChimTheGrim wrote:Let me give you luck examples:
-The initial draw: You have an initial set of unit on the board. Yes, if you get a champion and the other guy doesn't, that is luck.

If "it relies too much on luck," then why do I see people make these mistakes ALL THE TIME (unless they are ranked players). There are moves that you don't always see that can make you think it is 'based on luck.' Your perception is not reality.
While peopel do make mistakes, a lot IS based on luck. What combination you can pull off depends on how your units are positioned - and you have no control of that.
When the intital setup of units sucks (for example, you got 2 dragons in there (sweet) but they're positioned in such a way that they block everything or many the bestcombos impossible to pull off (not sweet). You have to spend two turns moving things around.
This is especially irritating agaionst pre-set fight, when the enemy starts with titan or dragon already charging.

The only tactics agaisnt that is either crazy defense (wall, wall, wall) or druids/genies stall tactics.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 19 Oct 2011, 17:22

Soronarr wrote:
ChimTheGrim wrote:Let me give you luck examples:

While peopel do make mistakes, a lot IS based on luck. What combination you can pull off depends on how your units are positioned - and you have no control of that.
When the intital setup of units sucks (for example, you got 2 dragons in there (sweet) but they're positioned in such a way that they block everything or many the bestcombos impossible to pull off (not sweet). You have to spend two turns moving things around.
This is especially irritating agaionst pre-set fight, when the enemy starts with titan or dragon already charging.

The only tactics agaisnt that is either crazy defense (wall, wall, wall) or druids/genies stall tactics.
Your point is a good one, but one of the main parts of the game is to try and come back from something like that. I have won games with 2 and even 1 HP when my enemy had like 30 or 40 HP. It's a game of trying to come back. And if you keep trying it is pretty fun to see the outcome.

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 24 Oct 2011, 10:43

Did I ever said I gave up? I fight till the end mister! The enemies end to be more precise! B-)

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 25 Oct 2011, 15:58

Soronarr wrote:Did I ever said I gave up? I fight till the end mister! The enemies end to be more precise! B-)
I see, then what is your record if you do not mind me asking? I am simply trying to find out if you play the game as to not make the common mistakes I talked about.

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 27 Oct 2011, 10:44

My record? Have no idea. I don't keep track on scores.
They are meaningless to me - the only purpose they serve is to boost ego (and mine is big enough already)
Not that I can check anyway - I uninstalled the game after completeing it.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 27 Oct 2011, 16:25

Same.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”