Clash of Heroes HD coming to PC

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
cuc
Peasant
Peasant

Clash of Heroes HD coming to PC

Unread postby cuc » 22 Jul 2011, 05:39

That's great news, because now even people without consoles can play it (I understand that there are many on the Round Table forum), and it still is a brilliant game, the overall best game set in Ashan so far.

This is a straight port of the console downloadable version, which improved upon the DS version by tweaking the balance and adding new features.

First revealed in Ubisoft financial report:
http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_fil ... 2/2504.pdf

Confirmed by Eurogamer:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... ced-for-pc

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 22 Jul 2011, 09:24

This looks very promising. I will most likely buy when it comes out.

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 22 Jul 2011, 14:00

This is excellent news! Throughly enjoyed the DS version and can't wait to sample a HD makeover on the PC, been waiting for it for ages!

Plays nothing like a typical Heroes game of course, it just ploughs its own furrow as a brillant little strategy title all of its own.
Last edited by Blocks100 on 22 Sep 2011, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 29 Jul 2011, 15:58

Blocks100 wrote:This is excellent news! Throughly enjoyed the DS version and can't wait to sample a HD makeover on the PC, been waiting for it for ages!

Plays nothing like a typical Heroes game of course, it just ploughs its own furrow as a brillant little strategy all of its own.
The way the franchise is going... Clash of Heroes is almost better than HoMM. At least I know they did the game justice.

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 22 Sep 2011, 19:13

So I thought this was supposed to be out today? No sign of it on the Ubisoft site. I guess as a download only title it'll be released through their online shop, no? I'd even settle for a Steam release - but there's no mention of it anywhere :(

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 23 Sep 2011, 21:53

Quick question: is CoH for PC released already? I'm asking because in Poland we will have it at 14th October (such delay in games release is "standard" here ;P).

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 24 Sep 2011, 13:15

Well it is now available from Ubisoft and Steam here in the UK. Surely at least Steam has universal EU release dates?

At 12 quid though, it's a tad pricey. (does anyone recall how much the Xbox version was?) Downloading the Steam demo now. But will maybe wait for a Steam sale with a heavy discount before I buy....

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Clash of Heroes HD coming to PC

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 24 Sep 2011, 19:47

cuc wrote: This is a straight port of the console downloadable version, which improved upon the DS version by tweaking the balance and adding new features.
What kind of balance and new features? The DS version was okay, but the lack of features, imbalance, and heavy emphasis on luck rather than strategy didn't impress me.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Clash of Heroes HD coming to PC

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 24 Sep 2011, 21:38

mr.hackcrag wrote:
cuc wrote: This is a straight port of the console downloadable version, which improved upon the DS version by tweaking the balance and adding new features.
What kind of balance and new features? The DS version was okay, but the lack of features, imbalance, and heavy emphasis on luck rather than strategy didn't impress me.
The DS version doesn't have a lot of cool abilities on big champion units like the Sword Master. In the DS version, he worked just like a Treant does and steals life, but in the PSN/XboxLive version he has a wall-destroying ability instead (much cooler). So the games are the same, but also very different.

In all, the PS3/360 versions are more balanced. For instance, the Sylvan hero's arrow shot ability is no longer in one lane, it is in 3 seperate lanes with the damage strawn out. But some of the artifacts are still way more powerful than others. For instance, the inferno race has an artifact that gives 4 turns per round instead of 3. This is a little too powerful in my book. But that's why I play online without artifacts.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 26 Sep 2011, 12:22

CoH has really impressed me. The hours fly by when I'm playing the game, as it has this one more battle then Im going to bed kind of feel to it. I like the little puzzle games that are in it, and I find the mix between luck and skill to be just right so far.

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 28 Sep 2011, 20:52

Pity you can't properly save games in the demo. That kind of killed it for me.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Sep 2011, 21:11

Blocks100 wrote:(does anyone recall how much the Xbox version was?)
1200 MS points or about $15. It's on sale for 800 points now. Xbox games have always been more expensive than their PC counterparts.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 28 Sep 2011, 21:28

Blocks100 wrote:Pity you can't properly save games in the demo. That kind of killed it for me.
The demo is extremely short and not good because it's just a small tutorial. The game itself is awesome and I love it because there is a lot of depth that makes it fun (that you don't see at all in the demo). So if you aren't going to buy the game because of the demo, then you are making an unfortunate mistake.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 29 Sep 2011, 12:35

ChimTheGrim wrote:
Blocks100 wrote:Pity you can't properly save games in the demo. That kind of killed it for me.
The demo is extremely short and not good because it's just a small tutorial. The game itself is awesome and I love it because there is a lot of depth that makes it fun (that you don't see at all in the demo). So if you aren't going to buy the game because of the demo, then you are making an unfortunate mistake.
I agree here, definitely worth the buy.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 01 Oct 2011, 16:35

There needs to be more than five factions.

It would be interesting to be able to mix factions with some kind of "morale" penalty.

I think some matches, I start with a champion unit while opponent doesn't and this seems really unfair as champion units are so powerful that the match is decided before it's even begun. Same thing regarding calling in reinforcents. I'm not sure what determines what units players get.

There are still some imbalances like artifacts and maybe few units.

Anyway, instead of more or less porting the same game, I believe a lot more features and gameplay elements could have been implemented and reinvented to make the game amazing. :(

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2011, 09:15

Yeah, in the demo 1 Sucubbus beat me through a wall in one move, and i had over 80% life before that...

but the game is fun, and in SP the lack of balance isn't that much of a deal breaker...

Still, like i said before, this would be something i'd rather play on a smartphone...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 02 Oct 2011, 11:12

ChimTheGrim wrote:
Surely the whole point of a demo is to entice players into buying the finished product? Not being able to return to earlier saves is very dumb. They've kind of shot themselves in the foot here.

And the price point is ridiculous. I can buy HOMMVI for £24 quid, but this DS port is more than half the price?? Don't get me wrong, I loved the original, but feel badly let down by this release so far.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 03 Oct 2011, 01:19

ThunderTitan wrote:Yeah, in the demo 1 Sucubbus beat me through a wall in one move, and i had over 80% life before that...

but the game is fun, and in SP the lack of balance isn't that much of a deal breaker...
But there is no reason why the game should have a lot of problems and limitations when it's been out forever and they have had plenty of feedback and chances to make all kinds of improvements.

And puzzle games should not be so heavily focused on single player campaigns. There should be a lot of focus on single and multi player matches where there are lots of gameplay modes and options to create varied matches and give longevity to the game.

I really would have loved having a puzzle mode, with dozens/hundreds of puzzles, instead of a handful spread out in a awful story campaign.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 03 Oct 2011, 02:38

This would be like playing a Call of Duty demo and saying the action was too fast and you didn't like it for that reason--obviously you weren't cut out for Call of Duty so just let it go.

This is a game where you have to think about your moves. I've played over 300 games online, and I can say it is pretty balanced. I also play Starcraft II and Warcraft III online a lot (thousands of games), so I have experienced the "game balance" talk before.

ThunderTitan, if you lost to 1 succubus in the demo, its because the demo sucks balls and it doesn't give you a lot of units to work with. And if you're unable to buck down a whole $15 (worth 2 meals at any fast food restaurant) for this epic kick-ass game, then it's your fault.

Some of the discrepancies brought up are really laughable--can't express that enough.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 03 Oct 2011, 14:56

ChimTheGrim wrote:And if you're unable to buck down a whole $15 (worth 2 meals at any fast food restaurant) for this epic kick-ass game, then it's your fault.
Saying that a game is cheap, so ignore it's imperfections is like saying your two meals of fast food were cheap, so ignore the fact that it has rat hair in it.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”