Fixing Fleeing

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Fixing Fleeing

Unread postby Blocks100 » 16 Jul 2011, 13:34

Question for those playing the beta: do enemy heroes still flee frustratingly early when they know they are about to be defeated? (like in H5)

I really wish they'd introduce more rewards for the player when the enemy flees. AI heroes belonging to factions like Haven should offer the player gold to spare his troops - with you being to accept, decline (crush his forces) or demand more!

Cowardly heroes from Necro / Inferno that flee the scene won't offer gold, but will run the risk of dropping a minor artifact from their inventory that will be 'recovered' by the player.

Perhaps there should be a skill that a hero can train in to make it x% harder for opponents to flee the field of battle. 'Superior Manoeuvring' - "You attempt to flee, but Crag Hack's forces block your path!" kinda thing. Forcing the AI to try again next hero turn to drop out of combat and leg it!

The more I think about it, it’s apparent that the ‘combat endgame’ remains painfully undeveloped in the series. Why can we never capture enemy heroes that fail to flee, imprison them somewhere on the map, and ransom them back to the AI?

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 16 Jul 2011, 14:00

if you mean fleeing as the AI "surrendering" and coming back with all their troops still intact, i can see how it could get a bit annoying. I personally think it's fine the AI really need a few 'artificial' boosts to make it compete with Human players and it's better they can do some unfair stuff sometimes.

However, if you wanted to introduce something, maybe the standard, "you flee, but 10-20% of remaining troops (determined randomly) are lost to hold the enemy from advancing" Would make much more interesting tradeoffs such as possible hit and run tactics when it comes to armies with many shooters.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 16 Jul 2011, 16:54

Spin wrote:if you mean fleeing as the AI "surrendering" and coming back with all their troops still intact, i can see how it could get a bit annoying.
But at least you'd be filthy rich.
Blocks100 wrote: The more I think about it, it’s apparent that the ‘combat endgame’ remains painfully undeveloped in the series. Why can we never capture enemy heroes that fail to flee, imprison them somewhere on the map, and ransom them back to the AI?
That sounds interesting, but there's usually only one super hero and once you beat him, the game is pretty much over.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jul 2011, 20:53

In the old days fleeing = losing all your troops... while if you wanted to keep them you'd have to pay for each while using surrender...

I don't recall, did H5 change that or was the AI just cheating?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”