naming of sanctuary units

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

naming of sanctuary units

Unread postby Arzang » 24 May 2011, 18:36

Why do they get japanese names when upgraded?

I will argue against this:

1. they have "normal" names when unupgraded. normal meaning that their names are in english and you can see in their name exactly what they are. "shark guard" is more along the lines of "halberdier" than "wanizame".

2. their upgraded names change language. this to me, seems contrived. Almost as contrived as chinese people "changing" their names from "Yong Han" to "Jonathan" when living in the west.

3. the upgraded names don't bring with them any connotations as to what they exactly are. What is "wanizame", "mizu-kami" etc? I think that Mizu means water.

4. Pearl priestess. were they too lazy to find out what this is in japanese? or is this a hint that the unit is basically a figment of their rear end and not based on "asian" mythology.

5. Kenshi->Kensei. This one is actually acceptable. No sudden language change.

6. Asia. seriously. It's a big continent. can't stress this enough.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 24 May 2011, 21:18

kami can be translate to god =-> water god
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Jac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jac » 25 May 2011, 01:48

Yep. Would it be too much to ask for a Eastern-based faction that isn't entirely biased in favour of one type of culture? I'm not too keen on using the word "culture" here since most of that stuff isn't exactly accurate to so speak. About half their creatures have origins in Chinese myth, but they're named in Japanese so them weeaboos are gonna assume they were Japan's creations. And where is the Korean bit in all of this? Aside from the Indian Nagas that scream "I'm from Japan" with that armour and overrated Katana, there's nothing else in this faction that reminds me of the rest of Asia.

Hashima. It's Japan.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 May 2011, 06:17

Japan is Asia dude, haven't you heard already?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 25 May 2011, 06:24

Mirez wrote:kami can be translate to god =-> water god

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 25 May 2011, 14:35

I had hoped that a French developer, being European, would be more "cosmopolitan" and more in touch with how wonderful the rest of the world's cultures are outside of (1)their own country, (2)USA, and (3)Japan.

Apparently, no. France is just as filled with anime fanbois as the USA.

Don't get me wrong. I love anime and manga. What I do not love is anime/manga in HOMM.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 25 May 2011, 14:58

It's sad really, the town has a nice theme, nice looking units and seems like their gameplay will be interesting.

Hopefully they will come to their senses, they probably won't though.

And I am not even going to comment on "jaguar warrior".

Let's see how the beta turns out in june..

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 25 May 2011, 15:01

ThunderTitan wrote:Japan is Asia dude, haven't you heard already?
:D

being iranian, this always pisses me off. Although I do sense that you are utilizing, what some people call, sarcasm.
Mlai wrote:I had hoped that a French developer, being European, would be more "cosmopolitan" and more in touch with how wonderful the rest of the world's cultures are outside of (1)their own country, (2)USA, and (3)Japan.

Apparently, no. France is just as filled with anime fanbois as the USA.

Don't get me wrong. I love anime and manga. What I do not love is anime/manga in HOMM.
Say what you want about american trash, but at least we are used to it.

Eurotrash on the other hand, is not as well rooted in gaming and therefore annoys me even more.

But they aren't just stereotyping east asia. What's up with "Sveltana" as a name? Svetlana is a real name, why just juxtapose two consonants?

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 26 May 2011, 01:49

Meh 'Japanese' stuff is cool, but clichéd, 'Indian' stuff is just as cool (Bagh Nakh, Chakram and Urumi in particular), and not yet very clichéd.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 26 May 2011, 09:08

Arzang wrote:What's up with "Sveltana" as a name? Svetlana is a real name, why just juxtapose two consonants?
Swietłana ;) + svelte

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 26 May 2011, 13:34

Arzang wrote: What's up with "Sveltana" as a name? Svetlana is a real name, why just juxtapose two consonants?
You'd have to ask Raelag about anagramming names. :devil:
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

admira99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby admira99 » 01 Jun 2011, 11:51

I like the names from the leaked artwork

Return to “Heroes V-VI”