What's with all of the female units?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Apr 2011, 19:33

jeff wrote: if you want me to stare at the screen for lengthy periods of time, I best enjoy the view. :proud:
+1 Sad Points for jeff...
Matt1128Y wrote:Or why is Black Hole Entertainment catering towards a female audience/female perspective?
Yes, that's totally the reason why games are full of barely dressed females, to appeal to women...

Just like all those muscled men in underwear you see on all those gay clubs/sites are there to attract more heterosexuals...

Oh man, one of the points in those threads posted at the start of the page cracked me up:
Haven: 4/7 units are female, 3/7 male. I count the Griffin as female because it looks female, especially when you compare it to the griffins from past HOMM games.
Brilliant.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 26 Apr 2011, 22:24

Firstly, the original poster is quite wrong, there were quite a few female units in HOMMIII too. Medusae, Harpies, Nagas, Genies, Pegasus Riders, (arguably) Wraiths, Water/Ice Elementals... Not to mention many female heroes as well.

Secondly, I don't mind there being female units. I welcome them. Yeah, boobs sell, but also it gives diversity to an army. The problem with Heroes 6 is that it seems, the creators just didn't have much imagination when it comes to female units. Some of them are so totally uninspired, it hurts. The two "spirits" in Haven look like simple glowing human women with tatoos. Weak. Then we have the Sanctuary's sprites/water elemental thingies, which look just like the spirits, except without legs and made of water. In HOMMIII-IV the water elementals at least looked quite unique.... Then we have the snow maidens, who are just japanese-clothed humans with white skin. How lame is that?

The problem with Ubi is that instead of taking a guess from real mythology which had plenty of female creatures (just check Titan Quest), it just tries to dress up human women as glorified mythical creatures... They did the same with Heroes V. They really wanted to throw in a female unit for the Orcs, but instead of a female orc or perhaps a female centaur... they put in human shaman women... Who really felt out of place in an army composed only of various orcs, goblins and cyclopes, especially since the heroes were also orcs. KInda hard to believe that scantly-clad women would last long in such an army, even if they had magical powers, you know... realism and such.

As horrible as the Heroes Online game was, it has at least increased the female ratio without really making drastic changes. Gogs and efreeti and all genies are now female, as are the wights and zealots... I had no problem with this.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 27 Apr 2011, 05:24

BB Shockwave wrote:Firstly, the original poster is quite wrong, there were quite a few female units in HOMMIII too. Medusae, Harpies, Nagas, Genies, Pegasus Riders, (arguably) Wraiths, Water/Ice Elementals... Not to mention many female heroes as well.
You know, I never got the impression that Genies were female, and even if they were 7 creatures out of 62 in vanilla is a lot bloody rarer than 13 of 51, which is what we've got now, if Mother Namtaru is the only female neutral/boss, (~11% vs ~25%).
In HOMMIII-IV the water elementals at least looked quite unique....
Nope, the body of the WE is the same as the Medusa, except for the head, tail, bow/quiver and colour, and those two aren't far off the Naga. Really, the WE, Medusa and Naga are the same basic snake body with different extras stuck on.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Apr 2011, 09:09

MattII wrote:You know, I never got the impression that Genies were female,
Yeah, it's not like they had bras or anything:

even if they were 7 creatures out of 62 in vanilla is a lot bloody rarer than 13 of 51,
Yeah, i love the argument that it's ok for females to be in a certain role as long as there's only very few of them... jeez.

BB Shockwave wrote:The problem with Heroes 6 is that it seems, the creators just didn't have much imagination when it comes to female units. Some of them are so totally uninspired, it hurts. The two "spirits" in Haven look like simple glowing human women with tatoos. Weak. Then we have the Sanctuary's sprites/water elemental thingies, which look just like the spirits, except without legs and made of water. In HOMMIII-IV the water elementals at least looked quite unique.... Then we have the snow maidens, who are just japanese-clothed humans with white skin. How lame is that?

As pointed out before in many a thread, palette swapping (well, it's 3D equivalent, texture changes are better then the simple colour change of yesteryear) is not limited to the female units, and it's a problem we've noticed a long time ago:

"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 27 Apr 2011, 11:38

ThunderTitan wrote:Yeah, it's not like they had bras or anything:

Always seemed more like a short vest to me.
Yeah, i love the argument that it's ok for females to be in a certain role as long as there's only very few of them... jeez.
I'm not against females in fantasy (probably half of every stack of beasts is female), but I am against the fact that Ubihole seems to equate females with breasts, and as such goes and sticks breasts on everything, human or not. More to the point, I'm against making social statements, and there is no way this could be considered not to be making a statement. What's next, the Ghoul, the Lich, the Archer/Crossbowman?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Apr 2011, 12:28

MattII wrote:Always seemed more like a short vest to me.

Yeah, sure... but if you have any male friends that wear that type of shirt... well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH0lFGBYRtU

What's next, the Ghoul, the Lich, the Archer/Crossbowman?
Ahem: Image

Notice those nice bumps on their chest?
More to the point, I'm against making social statements, and there is no way this could be considered not to be making a statement.
Compared to what, the S&M Dungeon from H5? (the Minotaur had nipple rings for crying out loud).

And relax, this isn't social commentary, it's simple fan service... now the reaction some of you had to it... now that's a comment on society and our little subculture if i ever saw one.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 27 Apr 2011, 14:04

Wait, you guys don't know that girls love HoMM games??? 8|

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Apr 2011, 14:34

In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Apr 2011, 14:40

Mlai wrote:Wait, you guys don't know that girls love HoMM games??? 8|
Sure, but i was assuming most of them aren't lesbians...

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 27 Apr 2011, 15:59

Mlai wrote:... girls love HoMM games???
Kalah wrote:Yes, we do. :D
Aha!
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Apr 2011, 17:25

:slap:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Apr 2011, 19:38

There, there +23. :D

I for one love to play with women. And thinking about the sexes in such a game is a bit ironical. The important thing is a good gameplay, not sexes distribution. Furthermore, the argument about 'intimidating' is a bit laughable. You would soon find that A beautiful Sorcerer is more intimidating than a bunch of Cyclopes. (HIV.)

Also many units are sex neutral or sex swingers like in nature. (Golems, Genies HIII.)

So, for what all that fuss?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 27 Apr 2011, 20:11

ThunderTitan wrote: Yeah, sure... but if you have any male friends that wear that type of shirt... well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH0lFGBYRtU
Sound card's broken at the moment, so I can't do much with that, but, looking at the heroes, you maybe right, all of the 'female' genies do have an obvious 'pigtail', while the 'males' wear hats.
Ahem: Image

Notice those nice bumps on their chest?
Yeah, but that looks more like an elf than a human to me anyway...
Compared to what, the S&M Dungeon from H5? (the Minotaur had nipple rings for crying out loud).
Well I didn't like the H5 dungeon either, too many elves (and I'd have preferred faceless anyway). Also, nipples =/= boobs, most mammals have nipples, but only humans have boobs. I see your point though, because at least the Medusa and Harpy are at least traditionally female, not some thoughtless after-market addition, though the harpy is not always shown with boobs (that's a more modern interpretation, which I suspect picked up some bits from the siren).
Pol wrote:So, for what all that fuss?
Well for me it's the thoughtless way they're sticking boobs on everything.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Apr 2011, 21:24

Sound card's broken at the moment, so I can't do much with that
You haven't seen the 1st Scary Movie yet? While it started a bad trend it was actually funny...

Yeah, but that looks more like an elf than a human to me anyway...
Yeah, it's not like Humans have blonde hair, or the elf is actually in another town (and is actually not very nordic): Image

Also, nipples =/= boobs, most mammals have nipples, but only humans have boobs.
The rest of the primates say HI!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Apr 2011, 23:06

Reference to more nipples in today's POTD... :D

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 27 Apr 2011, 23:22

ThunderTitan wrote: Yeah, it's not like Humans have blonde hair, or the elf is actually in another town (and is actually not very nordic): Image
Oh look, a Spanish elf.
The rest of the primates say HI!
Well I don't know about you, but I've never seen a chimpanzee that needed to wear a bra.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 28 Apr 2011, 01:28

This thread is funny.
Last edited by XEL II on 04 May 2011, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 28 Apr 2011, 02:12

Pol wrote:I for one love to play with women.
I would like to hear more about this.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Apr 2011, 06:17

MattII wrote:Oh look, a Spanish elf.
Only if it has moorish ancestry.

Well I don't know about you, but I've never seen a chimpanzee that needed to wear a bra.
That's just because they're not as self conscious about any droopiness... they still technically have them.

And because you couldn't abstain, have something to creep you out while proving you wrong: http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jel/images/bonobo_mom_baby.jpg

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 28 Apr 2011, 08:11

ThunderTitan wrote:Only if it has moorish ancestry.
Brown skin and black hair, could be Indian I suppose, or half-African. Regardless, the Archer still looks more 'elfy' than the actual elf.

That's just because they're not as self conscious about any droopiness... they still technically have them.

And because you couldn't abstain, have something to creep you out while proving you wrong: http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jel/images/bonobo_mom_baby.jpg
Now have a look at some female bonobos who aren't nursing. That, BTW is why I used the term 'boobs' rather than 'breasts', to my mind 'breasts' can refer to the mammaries of apes, which don't usually show when they aren't nursing, whereas 'boobs' refer to human/humanoid mammaries that stick around all the time.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”