What this game really needs

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

What this game really needs

Unread postby Romanov77 » 25 Feb 2011, 10:01

To be successful, it needs:

1) Lightweight engine

This is not Crysis.
Heroes V had a fat, unjustified horribly heavy engine.
I have an Intel I7, a 9800GT and 4gb of ram and the game sometimes still suffers from hiccups when certain spells are cast

Heroes6 should be much lighter.

2) Good AI
Scripting can be good in campaigns, but the game needs a fully functional and competitive AI

3) Acceptable turn times
I am a grown man, I cannot waste my little free time staring at a bar

What do you think?
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

killersheep
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby killersheep » 25 Feb 2011, 11:05

agree with all of them
you might add "make it awesome" :tsup:

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 25 Feb 2011, 11:14

4) Time.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 25 Feb 2011, 11:16

Um, heroes 5 engine was lightweight as far as its capabilities went. It was just poorly optimized. And H6 engine isn't crysis, I think that's obvious to everyone.

Heroes need far more than just fulfilling the basic technical aspects of a TBS.
Infiltrator out.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Feb 2011, 11:25

I agree with Romanov's points. It needs to be less CPU resource demanding than H5, and there are several ways of achieving that. I also think it needs a decent AI and acceptible turn times, but all this has to do with playing the game.

What I think H6 really needs is a simple yet powerful map editor. That way, mapmakers can increase the game's longevity, and make it more fun to play over time. H4 sucked when it first came out. What makes people still play it, was the editor, enabling skilled fans to create good maps.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 25 Feb 2011, 16:18

My CPU is supposed to be part of the Intel top line and the game still refuses to run flawlessly.

This, coupled with the fact that during battles there are very few models on-screen, makes me rage.

Compare with RTS games:
I have whole armies of gorgeous 3d realistic models clashing in Company of Heroes and it runs perfectly.
And the game has higher requirements.

Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 25 Feb 2011, 18:23

Agree with all of the above!
"I did put the fires out."
"You made them worse!"
"Worse?!... Or better?"

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 25 Feb 2011, 18:33

I hope they won't screw up multiplayer either. Ubihole is going to implement a lot of new stuff but I've heard only little about multiplayer. Which has, in my opinion, the most room for improvement
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Feb 2011, 18:34

That's because the slow downs aren't from the engine needing more resources, it';s because it's badly made... probably works way better on a less powerful rig that fits better with what they made the game on...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 26 Feb 2011, 08:25

Mirez wrote:I hope they won't screw up multiplayer either. Ubihole is going to implement a lot of new stuff but I've heard only little about multiplayer. Which has, in my opinion, the most room for improvement
As long as the game has hotseat, I am fine with it.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 26 Feb 2011, 14:37

Romanov77 wrote:As long as the game has hotseat, I am fine with it.
Since I have no friends, I need more than that. :(

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 26 Feb 2011, 19:22

I have an Intel I7, a 9800GT and 4gb of ram and the game sometimes still suffers from hiccups when certain spells are cast
Lol, time to reinstall your system. Game was reported to run smoothly even on weak GeForce cards. Personally I used many times slower configuration last year.
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Re: What this game really needs

Unread postby OliverFA » 26 Feb 2011, 20:23

Romanov77 wrote:To be successful, it needs:

1) Lightweight engine

This is not Crysis.
Heroes V had a fat, unjustified horribly heavy engine.

Heroes6 should be much lighter.

2) Good AI
Scripting can be good in campaigns, but the game needs a fully functional and competitive AI

3) Acceptable turn times
I am a grown man, I cannot waste my little free time staring at a bar

What do you think?
You know that the game won't get any of those three items. Don't you?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Feb 2011, 20:33

The first is hard to accomplish, but it should be possible to improve over H5, at least. The second should be possible.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 27 Feb 2011, 08:13

Warmonger wrote:
Lol, time to reinstall your system. Game was reported to run smoothly even on weak GeForce cards. Personally I used many times slower configuration last year.
My system is freshly formatted, defragged and fully updated.
I went so paranoid that I updated everything, even the bios.

As I said, the game DO run, and even fine on max settings. But in some situations like casting certain spells, it has stutters.

Kalah, I am watching the screenshots and the graphic really don't seem much improved from HommV......if the engine is built from scratch, couldn't even run better than V?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Feb 2011, 12:27

I'm not sure what you mean. You're asking whether it will run any better, since it looks similar to H5?

For once thing, H5 spent lots of resources on enabling players to pan the camera, turn the view and render all objects from several angles. I'm convinced that if they cut that, as well as make the coding more efficient (which was obviously not a priority for Nival), it will be less resource-demanding and run more easily. Obviously, if it's going to be 3D, it will take an average-good computer to run it, but I'm sure the devs are aware of the fact that if they make the game so that only great computers can run it, they will effectively reduce their own customer base.

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 27 Feb 2011, 12:55

Kalah wrote:I'm not sure what you mean. You're asking whether it will run any better, since it looks similar to H5?

For once thing, H5 spent lots of resources on enabling players to pan the camera, turn the view and render all objects from several angles. I'm convinced that if they cut that, as well as make the coding more efficient (which was obviously not a priority for Nival), it will be less resource-demanding and run more easily. Obviously, if it's going to be 3D, it will take an average-good computer to run it, but I'm sure the devs are aware of the fact that if they make the game so that only great computers can run it, they will effectively reduce their own customer base.
Maybe that was the reason why they "streamlined" the game, so they could compensate for the reduced customer base? ;)

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 27 Feb 2011, 14:24

Kalah, I meant that judging from the screenshots the game looks similar to HommV, so requirements might be similar or even lower if they take some efforts in the optimization.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Feb 2011, 15:36

Ah - yes, that's what I think as well. And obviously, H5 had serious optimization issues. The editor was next to useless, and even good computers had trouble with large maps.

Fixing this should be a top priority. I am confident that they will. :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2011, 08:35

Romanov77 wrote:Kalah, I meant that judging from the screenshots the game looks similar to HommV, so requirements might be similar or even lower if they take some efforts in the optimization.
The min req are going to be higher if just because the obvious better lighting (shaders) and AA.

But it will probably run better if they optimized it... if Chaos Mark is any indication the only loading problems will be when loading the map/mission...

Kalah wrote: For once thing, H5 spent lots of resources on enabling players to pan the camera, turn the view and render all objects from several angles.
I don't recall having problems with that part myself... not even in the leaked alpha.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”