The Most Exciting Stage of the Life of a Game

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What is the stage you find the most EXCITING during the short life of a game?

Announcement Stage (First Details, Interviews, Interaction with Development)
13%
Pre-Release Stage (Screenshots, Previews, Beta Test)
18%
Post-Release Stage (Revws, First Maps, Lots of Newcomers)
16%
Expansion Stage (Maps, Mods, Expansions, Tournaments)
26%
Expansion Stage (Maps, Mods, Expansions, Tournaments)
26%

Total votes: 68

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

The Most Exciting Stage of the Life of a Game

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Mar 2006, 14:47

What do you think?
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 17 Mar 2006, 15:05

Voted for Expansion Stage, because I think in this stage the game can be played at its full potential, with all official patches applied, with mods offering diversity. Also, all the other stages imply a greater degree of risk for disappointment than this one.

My most recent experience with this topic is when I bought Civilization 4. I only played it once when I got it, and after that waited a while for patches to appear. Indeed, the two patches appeared, and soon after that tons of mods became available, so now playing the game is more exciting than ever.

P.S. Oh, and why "short life of a game"?
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Mar 2006, 15:10

I find the post-release stage the most exciting. It's quite fun to see lots of new visitors, read their impressions, and hunt for the first reviews.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 17 Mar 2006, 17:17

I'm going to say the expansion stage.

Tournaments?! Need I say more...we can finally see how good that csarmi guy really is.
Hell has frozen over...

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 17 Mar 2006, 18:11

I'm going for the Pre-release stage, as it is the stage which makes or brakes the game.
Grah!

davidtaylorsmith
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby davidtaylorsmith » 17 Mar 2006, 18:22

No question about it for me - it is the Announcement Stage. Seeing a report on gamespot or some other site of a game that I know I would LOVE, as it just starts to develop - nothing like it. I remember seeing the first early movie preview for Gladiator in theatres - thought I was going to die of excitement, it looked so cool. Games are the same way in the early, early stages.

Also, noone knows enough about it to flame it yet, its just the basic idea and my imagination and that's what I love....
"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." -Steven Wright

http://s2.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=39177

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 17 Mar 2006, 19:05

voted Expansion Stage

After that stage the game can be played to its fullest.
The expansion stage is exciting because features etc that didnt get included in the original may be included in the expansion.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 18 Mar 2006, 01:59

Voted pre-release. With all the quality games I've beta tested (like WC3/WoW) I must say that the feel when I was seeing areas and discovering things for the first time was most exciting for me.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 18 Mar 2006, 03:43

Vote Post-release
Because I might actually be playing the game at this point.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 Mar 2006, 05:39

I think it depends on what you mean by exciting. For "most buzz", I'd say post-release, because that's when everyone is exploring the game. As for my favorite, I'd have to go for the last option. By this point bugs are ironed out, there are more options in the expansions, lots of user made maps, etc.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 18 Mar 2006, 11:57

Voted expansion stage. The reasons why have already been stated by other users that made the same vote as me. So no need to repeat the already said.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Mar 2006, 12:43

Expansion stage, but only if I liked the game as it was released.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 18 Mar 2006, 17:28

Vote Announcement Stage

I think I danced about my house for a good two hours when I found out HV was being developed. This is the stage where all signs point to the new game being completed, and the possibilities are endless. Little if anything has been confirmed to be OUT of the game, so there is no concrete reason not to get excited and there is more than enough material to speculate on to keep oneself very, very busy.
theLuckyDragon wrote:P.S. Oh, and why "short life of a game"?
Maybe short because it’ll only work well on technology that gets out of date fast and sell well for a comparatively short time compared to how long it took to make?

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 18 Mar 2006, 18:29

definitivelly the most exciting isnt the expansion, dont know why ppl think about that.......

the xpansions only can be great if the game story is also very,very,very good, xpansions is all about the story...

of course the guys here are Heroes fans, and maybe u like the story and all that, but for example, in W3, most ppl didnt bought the frozen throne only by one new heroe or some new stuffs, most ppl bought by the campaings, u know "what happened with Arthas??", "what about the night elves", etc, the same to SC..., i mean i never was an W2 fan, but i found the W3 story very intersting

so obvetively -what i try to be-, the most exciting is the pre-launch, quiet obvious why, u know, u see how cool could be the game and u just cant wait more!!! :D

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Post Release

Unread postby gravyluvr » 18 Mar 2006, 18:38

I voted for Post Release because if you have a general love for the game, this is where you really fell in love with the game.

All four are exciting, especially in the HOMM world but the influx of newcomers, the real information sharing among players, and the time that we become "experts" of the game is always in this phase.

The expansion phase is where you can test your expertise against new features and continue to re-live the new experiences, but by this time you have logged most all of your learning hours so it's not the same as when the game is new and information from other players has been pouring into the forums.

The announcement and pre-release are both very exciting as well but you don't have the "finished" product to experience so it lacks the gameplay that we all crave.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Post Release

Unread postby Pol » 18 Mar 2006, 19:32

voted: Announcement Stage

Until all expecations come to the true, because in that time, most of them is born...

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 18 Mar 2006, 23:54

Pre-release stage

Tough choice, but I think I got it right. I see it like this:

Announcement stage: You get to know that game you like is under development and so you check back to that website every day to see if something else has been said just like I check warlorders.com too see the status on Warlords V.

Pre-release stage: This is the most exciting one for me since this is when were overwhelmed with info, screenshots, videos, developer interviews and more.

Post-release stage: Now you got the product and sit down playing it. The magic is gone, there is only fact left.

Expansion stage: This is also interesting but there's only ONE instance where I followed an expansionpacks development and that is of StarCraft: Broodwar! I remember reading about the new units and fantasising about their role and power. Superior magic characters such as Protoss Dark Archons. Heavy battleships such as Terran Valkyrie Frigates and groundterror containing Zerg Lurkers.

Actually I've never followed development of any HoMM expansion ^^[/b]

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Apr 2006, 05:18

Voted post release,when all of the tricks are being discovered.Although in some games,expansion stage is much more interesting.

Gljivko a.k.a Vortex
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Gljivko a.k.a Vortex » 13 Apr 2006, 15:52

My vote goes for Expansion Stage.

Just remember the time when Heroes 3: Armageddon's Blade came. One of my happiest moments :D

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 13 Apr 2006, 21:56

I like post-release, when the game is offering up new surprises and I am beginning to improve my play.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”