Who else hates the Inferno?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2011, 08:46

Most murderous really...

But i'm kinda glad because this way maybe i can convince them to not make them into a boss and keep them in the town before work on the expansion begins in earnest...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

yourworstnightmare
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yourworstnightmare » 04 Mar 2011, 09:26

Darkström wrote:They're not associated with fire, but only depicted as such in H3 and H4.
The Arabs considered them the djinns of fire, and in Islamic alchemy they usually are associated with fire (replacing the salamanders from western alchemy).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Mar 2011, 20:23

Didn't i already pointed that out?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 06 Mar 2011, 21:21

Alright, I apologise for my misinformation. ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Mar 2011, 08:17

Too late, the only way to save you know if to be cleansed by fire... i'll get the efreets.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 08 Mar 2011, 10:26

ThunderTitan wrote:Too late, the only way to save you know if to be cleansed by fire... i'll get the efreets.
Or struck by thunder...I'll get the Titans

:D

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 08 Mar 2011, 17:21

ecsunotos wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Too late, the only way to save you know if to be cleansed by fire... i'll get the efreets.
Or struck by thunder...I'll get the Titans

actually titans aren't necessarily associated with thunder/lightning/electricity
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 09 Mar 2011, 01:08

Mirez wrote:actually titans aren't necessarily associated with thunder/lightning/electricity
Just ask Thunder Titan
:P

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Mar 2011, 08:42

Mirez wrote:actually titans aren't necessarily associated with thunder/lightning/electricity
Yes they totally are... without the thunderbolt they would have never been defeated...

yourworstnightmare
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yourworstnightmare » 09 Mar 2011, 09:56

So thunder should be their weakness, not their weapon. ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Mar 2011, 10:09

Ah, but using your weakness as a weapon is a brilliant thing to do...

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 09 Mar 2011, 17:54

must... not.. make.. lame.. sex... joke... ;|
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Mar 2011, 21:03

Give in to teh dark side... just do it.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 10 Mar 2011, 00:44

yourworstnightmare wrote:So thunder should be their weakness, not their weapon. ;)
Thunderbolt takes too much power of Titans, that weaken them.... They have to be recharged with hugh voltage of electricity every time after combat.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 01 May 2011, 17:34

Why blunt-force demons are not lame:
Devils rely on temptation and deception only because they are a defeated "nation", under the watchful eye of an omnipotent God, and are not allowed to directly act until the Apocalypse. But when their appointed hour comes, they do sally forth in their great doomed army to battle with the legions of Heaven. Read the bible; they do form armies. That's where the notion of Hell as a TBS army comes from.

A real-life example would be Germany during the transition from WW1 to WW2.

Why I prefer H5 Hell to H6 Hell:
AFAIC, HOMM is about recognizable "classic" monsters, from dragons to titans, with an innovative/edgy embellishment here and there. H5 Hell had that. Oh, that is a little hellish imp. Oh, that's a hellish horse I've seen that in movies. Oh, that's a big brawny devil.

H6 Hell, WTF is that? Christian? No. Dantean? Not really. Lovecraftian? No. Well, except the breeder. About the only new unit I can stomach. All the other new units look the same, which in turn looks like their Necro ghoul except red. The only old unit which looks better is Succubus, and that's only because the new one has hair now.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 01 May 2011, 18:35

Mlai wrote:Why blunt-force demons are not lame:
Devils rely on temptation and deception only because they are a defeated "nation", under the watchful eye of an omnipotent God, and are not allowed to directly act until the Apocalypse. But when their appointed hour comes, they do sally forth in their great doomed army to battle with the legions of Heaven. Read the bible; they do form armies. That's where the notion of Hell as a TBS army comes from.

A real-life example would be Germany during the transition from WW1 to WW2.
Demons rely on temptation and deception because demons are supposed to be clever, cunning and other-worldly, not because they are weak. To make a demon too blunt-force threatens to make them too physical and takes away from their ultimate alien evilness which they have to have to be worthy of the name.

According to the bible the demons are already in the charge of the world and rule through their human servants, in a system cryptically reffered to as the "world"; indeed the apocalypse is actually more of a revolution from above against the demons that already rule the world than a battle of a god that rules the world against a doomed army of demons.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 02 May 2011, 06:44

No, higher-tier devils are supposed to be clever, considering that they're fallen angels. Your average I-torture-the-sinners-in-Hell little impish demons as depicted in medieval paintings are just that, little impish (or big monstrous) demons delighting in causing physical suffering.

You look at the Machiavellis of Hell and automatically assume that all Hellish denizens are the same order of mental magnitude. It's the exception not the rule. That's not my opinion; that's Christian mythology.

I'm not seeing a lot of diabolic subtlety here.
According to the bible the demons are already in the charge of the world and rule through their human servants, in a system cryptically reffered to as the "world"; indeed the apocalypse is actually more of a revolution from above against the demons that already rule the world than a battle of a god that rules the world against a doomed army of demons.
Wow this goes against everything I've read. Please quote source. :baby:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2011, 08:22

Dante's Inferno is not christian dogma... why is everyone treating it like it is? Might as well treat Justin Bieber's songs as descriptive of Canada's laws.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 02 May 2011, 17:34

That's just arguing semantics. Of course The Divine Comedy is just a novel/ epic poem, and not a part of the Bible. But it's so influential, it has become a part of the Christian mythological consciousness. Or are you going to deny that?

Refuting Dante is like refuting Malory as having become the definitive interpretation of the King Arthur myth.

However, even parts of the Bible describes the armies and horrific beasts of Hell. They're not all suave salesmen.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 03 May 2011, 13:26

Mlai wrote:That's just arguing semantics. Of course The Divine Comedy is just a novel/ epic poem, and not a part of the Bible. But it's so influential, it has become a part of the Christian mythological consciousness. Or are you going to deny that?

Refuting Dante is like refuting Malory as having become the definitive interpretation of the King Arthur myth.

However, even parts of the Bible describes the armies and horrific beasts of Hell. They're not all suave salesmen.
Of course, In Dante's version, the pits of Hell are cold- and the lowest levels are frozen. Only the areas for "lesser" sinners is in flames. We should have frost demons and such for inferno. (gee, only H4 came close, with the frost demons being allied units...)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”