Suggest a better name thread...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Dec 2010, 13:57

Well they did note that the fans didn't like the creature names...
Grah!

Zenofex
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Zenofex » 06 Dec 2010, 14:36

... and provided the fans with even more reasons to hate them. Well... persistence is still valued... sometimes...
Beware Kreegans bearing gifts.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 06 Dec 2010, 14:56

Zenofex wrote:And like I said on the HC boards, Lilim is plural. Very nice change, eh?
Actually I can't say I like even one of the changes, especially the Sister. Skeletal Spearman is stupid as well - this thing is armed with javelins and looks like ranged support, while the spearman is melee infantryman. The others range from "whatever" to "yeah right".
I haven't ready the HC boards. Where does "Lilim" come from? If the implication is that the "-im" suffix is plural, then I assume the name comes from Hebrew, in which case Lilim would also be MASCULINE plural. Feminine plural would be Lilot.
This assumes the singular is "Lilah" which means "night", although the plural should then be "laylot"

(man, I which I had a Hebrew font here- I hate transliterating. It is spelled, in hebrew, lamed/tzayreh-yud-lamed-cholam-tuff)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 06 Dec 2010, 15:05

Lilim. *shrugs*

I REALLY think the simple Spearwielder will do it for the skellies.

... and Lamasu's upgrade should be... LAMASU!!! (that's right, with three exclamation points).

Zenofex
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Zenofex » 06 Dec 2010, 15:19

Qurqirish Dragon wrote: I haven't ready the HC boards. Where does "Lilim" come from? If the implication is that the "-im" suffix is plural, then I assume the name comes from Hebrew, in which case Lilim would also be MASCULINE plural. Feminine plural would be Lilot.
This assumes the singular is "Lilah" which means "night", although the plural should then be "laylot"
It's Hebrew, also there is similar Akkadian form (lilin, lilim again - it's a group of Semitic languages anyway), but there are both plural. Technically these are Mesopotamian demons, well-known in Palestine and thus Israel as well, which can be both male and female. I am not certain which is the feminine form though (although I think you may be right that the current one could appear to be masculine). In any case, the very fact that it is plural says enough.
Beware Kreegans bearing gifts.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Dec 2010, 21:21

The changes and my views on them:

- Priestess is now Sister ---> BAAAD! :disagree:
- Temptress is now Lilim ---> Fine
- Excruciator is now Lacerator ---> Good
- Juggernaut Ravager is now Ravager ---> OK
- Bone Guard is now Skeletal Spearman ---> Liked the old one better, but OK
- Grave Ghoul is now Ravenous Ghoul ---> Don't care
- Putrid Lamasu is now Lamasu ---> Good
- Festering Lamasu is now Putrid Lamasu ---> OK
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Dave_Jame
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dave_Jame » 07 Dec 2010, 09:46

Whot do I think of the new names

- Priestess is now Sister ---> Don!t understand Why?
- Temptress is now Lilim ---> Bad
- Excruciator is now Lacerator ---> Bether but still not good
- Juggernaut Ravager is now Ravager ---> Good
- Bone Guard is now Skeletal Spearman ---> It resembles the look bether, but still sounds terible
- Grave Ghoul is now Ravenous Ghoul ---> I wnat the original one
- Putrid Lamasu is now Lamasu ---> Good
- Festering Lamasu is now Putrid Lamasu ---> Good

In general:
Now that was a Backfire on the idea of making things bether.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 07 Dec 2010, 14:26

how is putrid better then festering I wonder?
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 07 Dec 2010, 21:20

That will always elude us... the thing they wanted to change is probably putting the prefixes before the lamasu...
Grah!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Dec 2010, 10:44

- Priestess is now Sister ---> Wow, someone actually suggested this?!
- Temptress is now Lilim ---> Hmmm...
- Excruciator is now Lacerator ---> Kinda the same
- Juggernaut Ravager is now Ravager ---> I think Juggernaut should be the upgrade
- Bone Guard is now Skeletal Spearman ---> That was a pointless change
- Grave Ghoul is now Ravenous Ghoul --->Meh... slightly better, but could use more work
- Putrid Lamasu is now Lamasu ---> Simpler is better! GG!
- Festering Lamasu is now Putrid Lamasu ---> Really should have gone with Sphinx unless they plan on using that name for another unit at some point in the future
Mirez wrote:how is putrid better then festering I wonder?
Well it's shorter and has no annoying -ing at the end there.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Dec 2010, 10:49

King Imp wrote: As per the official description of this unit.
The Lamasu were a failed experiment by the wizards to create a superior breed of beastmen, by the unnatural fusion of a human being (usually a slave or criminal) and a magical creature (in this particular case, a Manticore).
And that means that a Manticore already exists as a different unit... and a Sphinx as a half-human-half-manticore works just fine.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 08 Dec 2010, 18:58

ThunderTitan wrote:
King Imp wrote: As per the official description of this unit.
The Lamasu were a failed experiment by the wizards to create a superior breed of beastmen, by the unnatural fusion of a human being (usually a slave or criminal) and a magical creature (in this particular case, a Manticore).
And that means that a Manticore already exists as a different unit... and a Sphinx as a half-human-half-manticore works just fine.

Even though I don't personally see it, I would take Sphinx over (Insert Silly Adjective) Lamasu anyday. At least they gave us one thing that we suggested and that was just naming the base unit Lamasu.

Now, who was the jackass that suggested Sister?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Dec 2010, 09:36

King Imp wrote: Even though I don't personally see it, I would take Sphinx over (Insert Silly Adjective) Lamasu anyday.
Dude, Necro has an obvious egyptian thing going on, and a Sphinx is basically a Manticore with a more human face and no spike-launcher tail.
King Imp wrote:Now, who was the jackass that suggested Sister?
Whoever it was it needs to tar-and-feather itself.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 10 Dec 2010, 08:05

Well it does give them a more nun-like feel. But that doesn't change that the name is crappy...
Grah!

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 10 Dec 2010, 15:28

Thelonious wrote:Well it does give them a more nun-like feel. But that doesn't change that the name is crappy...
Now when I think of them, I hear "sister of the light" as in the group from the Sword of Truth novels. They were NOT very nice people.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Dec 2010, 19:05

But that was one of pretty bloody novel.* Filled with unnecessary cruelty and bestiality all the way.

Why nobody is writing how hard is to reach peaceful solutions?

Ah, for that reason..

Anyway lighting and shining things can be, from the essence, more cruel than devil itself. You remember that line of wickidness. Devils > Angels > Humans. And ourobouros ending. :D

*Apart from the first book, that was good.

BTW I like more my own abbreviation. GOW=Group of Women** :rofl:

**That's in no way connected*** to Grumpy Old Wizard name, just a reminder.

***Unfortunately it's loosely connected to BeneGesserit Sisterhood. So, be careful even in that case. May sounds harmless.. like blue eyes are innocent.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 11 Dec 2010, 12:57

Pol wrote:But that was one of pretty bloody novel.* Filled with unnecessary cruelty and bestiality all the way.
cruelty, yes. Bestiality? I don't recall anything of that nature, unless you are using the term to mean brutality.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 11 Dec 2010, 17:13

I may be customized it a bit. There's Jagang stealing bodies, rape scenes, humans stripped from the skin, very slow and painful torture. Mad people, sex and violence non plus ultras.

That's all and more what is in that series. I don't care how everyone will call it but it's nasty.

Goodkind should learn, his first book (in the series) was very good - the others not. I often found myself skipping bunch of pages. The final verdict is clean - this is not my idea of a fun book. It's having seeds for a good writing, and much of content which could use a 'refining'.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Dec 2010, 18:40

So, we have new info that bring this thread back on topic...

Enraged Cyclops.... that sounds in need of change to me... to the obamamobile...

What about King Cyclops... like King Scorpion... kinda too generic i think. Any other ideas?

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 21 Dec 2010, 18:45

Maybe "Elder" or "Veteran" .."Ancient", like the behemoths used to be?
Last edited by Variol on 21 Dec 2010, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”