Compatibility testing website?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 16 Mar 2006, 01:17

Well here is what is says on that website [http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest]:

CPU
Minimum: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better

CPU Speed
Minimum: 2 GHz

System RAM
Minimum: 512 MB

Operating System
Minimum: Windows 2000/XP

Video Card
Minimum: 128 MB AGP GeForce4 Ti4200 or higher video card

Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 128 MB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required
Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required
Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 1.1
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.3

DirectX Version
Minimum: 9.0c

Sound Card
Minimum: Required

FYI: I fail on all components, except for operating system and sound card. LOL. I definetely need an upgrade. :S

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 Mar 2006, 07:15

ThunderTitan wrote:EDIT: You can fit the RAM, but I belive you have to make sure they're the same "something or other", don't recall right now.
Yeah the ram got to be of the same producer etc or the RAM will be messed up I think 8|
I have 768 Mb DDR/SDR ram, 2-3 years old still going, hehe I think its time to refresh my comps memory a bit :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Mar 2006, 09:52

Sound Card
Minimum: Required
So if you don't have one the game won't run?

@Orfinn:

It, not about the producer!
Here, THIS should help.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 Mar 2006, 10:56

Thanks, it helped ;)

davidtaylorsmith
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby davidtaylorsmith » 16 Mar 2006, 21:55

Question about Processors...

Was looking at some on a website - was under the impression that the important number was processor speed - i.e. 2GhZ, 2.5, 3.0, whatever. The processors I was looking at also had a BUS SPEED number, and that number didn't seem attached to the GHZ number. For instance, saw a 2.4 GHZ processor with 2000MHZ bus speed, and saw a 3.2 GHZ processor with 800MHZ bus speed. What the heck is bus speed, and is that number more or less important than the processor speed (which I am assuming is the GHZ number)???
"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." -Steven Wright

http://s2.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=39177

trailMix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby trailMix » 06 Apr 2006, 01:41

davidtaylorsmith wrote:Question about Processors...

Was looking at some on a website - was under the impression that the important number was processor speed - i.e. 2GhZ, 2.5, 3.0, whatever. The processors I was looking at also had a BUS SPEED number, and that number didn't seem attached to the GHZ number. For instance, saw a 2.4 GHZ processor with 2000MHZ bus speed, and saw a 3.2 GHZ processor with 800MHZ bus speed. What the heck is bus speed, and is that number more or less important than the processor speed (which I am assuming is the GHZ number)???
Bus speed, at least for Intel Processors, is the speed that CPU access the RAM, and other peripherals. For Intel processors, increase in bus speed nets significant improvement in performance. AMD processors, due to their built in memory controllers, do not benefit significantly with higher bus speed. So to answer your question, the bus speed is not a good measure for speed. It's like determining the top speed of car by RPM.

I really don't understand why the processor requirements are so high. Even recently released FPS with massive polygon counts don't require that much processing power.

As for the OP, don't upgrade your RAM over 2GB. Windows XP Pro (don't know about the home version) can address only upto 3GB. But it needs some hack to get it to use 3GB. By default it can use only upto 2GB and extra memory is wasted.

Only thing I would definitely upgrade is the video card. GeForce 5200FX is the low end card from 2 generations back. Infact, high-end card from 3 generations can blow it away. For "cheap" upgrade around $125USD (PCI-E version), go for GeForce 6600GT (1 generation back). AGP version may cost a little more, and non-"GT" version (e.g. plain 6600) may cost less ( around $90USD).

davidtaylorsmith
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby davidtaylorsmith » 06 Apr 2006, 02:37

Thanks for the info.

Sorry I am quite ignorant of what all these graphic cards are. So many types, so many numbers, I have no clue what is from what generation! I would like to buy a new graphics card, and would like to spend around the ballpark you are talking (125 USD), but am not sure if all cards would work on my system. Can I get a PCI Express (or just PCI)? Would an AMD work? Do these different graphics cards and setups prohibit some computers from using them? How would I know what graphics cards are available to me and what are not?

Again sorry for this generic computer question, I am just a bit lost everytime I look in a store or on a website for a graphics card - so many choices and I don't even know where to start or what would run om ny current system. Any advice you can give would be great...
"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." -Steven Wright

http://s2.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=39177

trailMix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby trailMix » 06 Apr 2006, 03:24

davidtaylorsmith wrote:Thanks for the info.

Sorry I am quite ignorant of what all these graphic cards are. So many types, so many numbers, I have no clue what is from what generation! I would like to buy a new graphics card, and would like to spend around the ballpark you are talking (125 USD), but am not sure if all cards would work on my system. Can I get a PCI Express (or just PCI)? Would an AMD work? Do these different graphics cards and setups prohibit some computers from using them? How would I know what graphics cards are available to me and what are not?

Again sorry for this generic computer question, I am just a bit lost everytime I look in a store or on a website for a graphics card - so many choices and I don't even know where to start or what would run om ny current system. Any advice you can give would be great...
Type of graphic cards that you can use depends on the mother board. You can get PCI Express on newer motherboards on both Intel and AMD platforms. If you purchased a system (i.e. Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) then the users manual should specify what type of expansion slots are available. Usuallly older motherboards (2yrs+) require AGP video cards.

Matrox site http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/3 ... i_pcie.cfm has a good overview of what the connectors look like if you don't have the manual. The current performance of AGP cards aren't too shabby compared to PCI-E (not to be confused with PCI). Most gaming PCI-E cards are 16x. Try http://www.pricewatch.com/video%5Fcards/.

One word of caution. Make sure you have at least 400 watt power supply before upgrading your video card. Otherwise you may have stability problem due higher power consumption (my card is rated at 165watt!) of new video card, especially PCI-E.

One more thing to consider: current line of motherboard/video cards are expected to be the last generation supporting AGP. So if you plan to upgrade processor or motherboard in next few years, you may be forced to upgrade your video card again. But then again, there's always ebay...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”