DRM for Heroes of Might and Magic 6

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3854
Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Location: City of Griffin
Contact:

Postby Avonu » Jul 30 2011, 10:15

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/28/ubiso ... -a-success
...a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success.

User avatar
Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20052
Joined: 24 Nov 2005

Postby Kalah » Jul 30 2011, 11:06

Yeah, that's rubbish. However, it won't happen for H6:
Irina wrote:Heroes VI will be fully playable offline.
We're still pushing for info on whether there is any other form of copy protection.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 131
Joined: 18 Aug 2010

Postby Spin » Jul 31 2011, 6:56

I'm tipping the only DRM we will have is a "once only online activation". I have no idea why people have PCs without internet connections these days (to activate it once, i can see why always online is a *****), it's a simple $30 router/switch and $10 network cable to get an extra computer online.

Roman
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 127
Joined: 02 Dec 2006

Postby Roman » Jul 31 2011, 8:09

blakflag wrote: EDIT: I forgot to add that Valve has always been a responsible company in my book, and they have promised that if they EVER stop supporting Steam, they will release unlocks that allow you to keep playing indefinitely.
Can you give a source for that promise? Because this is what I have found in the Steam Subscriber Agreement:

"C. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S)."

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
Variol wrote:Just to clarify:
DRM means that you must have internet, in order to run the game; right?
Not all DRM is like that. Disc checks, for example, don't force you to go online. These days, however, most DRM is like that - requiring the internet for at least installing the game and some (like the Ubisoft system) are much worse still.
ThunderTitan wrote:
Kalah wrote:People who don't have Internet connections on their gaming PC (like me) can't use Steam, no matter how "good" it is. ;|
Plug it in once and then use offline mode...
For me it is not an issue of not having an internet connection on my gaming PC. Rather, it is the very fact that online-based DRM essentially turns the game into a rental service, as it makes the game dependent on the continued upkeep of the servers by the company. A company may (in actuality "will", sooner or later) shut down its servers for a plethora of reasons. Perhaps a change in business strategy or switching to a different DRM system or it deems it no longer economical for a small number of players (EA already has done this to online-dependent multiplayer aspects of some of their games after only one year) or it wants to force players to 'upgrade' to a new version of the game or it simply goes bankrupt or.... you get the picture.

Consider this: If online DRM (I like to call it DDRM = Draconian Digital Restriction Management) had been implemented on that game in the past, we would have lost the ability to play HoMM 3 a long time ago. After all, 3DO is no longer with us and I have heard little of New World Publishing ever since...

This applies even if it only required a one-time activation of the game (unless, of course, you still play the game on the same computer and never reinstall your operation system).

Game longevity is a big issue for me, as I do like to play older games too. For this reason, I outright refuse to purchase games relying on online DRM, no matter how much I might like the game otherwise. I have already foregone some major purchases I had planned, such as Civilization V, or Starcraft II. I don't have an issue with disc checks and such, but online requirement is the DRM red line for me that I simply will not cross.

User avatar
Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3854
Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Location: City of Griffin
Contact:

Postby Avonu » Aug 1 2011, 13:29

Kalah wrote:However, it won't happen for H6:
Irina wrote:Heroes VI will be fully playable offline.
We're still pushing for info on whether there is any other form of copy protection.
I will belive, when I saw it. Until then, everything can change. Everything.
Last word belong not to game developers but to marketing guys (unfortunately). I just hope that game devolepers will have enough strength over marketing dept. to not allow put any DRM of this kind in final release.

User avatar
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot
Posts: 6708
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Location: Florianópolis - Brasil

Postby Panda Tar » Aug 1 2011, 19:01

Kalah wrote:People who don't have Internet connections on their gaming PC (like me) can't use Steam, no matter how "good" it is. ;|
We're two on the same boat. And it's likely to sink anytime soon.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

User avatar
Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20052
Joined: 24 Nov 2005

Postby Kalah » Aug 2 2011, 10:08

Kalah wrote:We're still pushing for info on whether there is any other form of copy protection.
Irina just confirmed it: "there will not be any other copy protection in Heroes VI."

They seem to be doing it the StarDock way - wanting to offer some kind of online bonus material as an incentive for people to log on to the web. This "Conflux" thing should be explained in more detail soon.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

User avatar
Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie
Posts: 1011
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Flying the skies of Ohlam

Postby Qurqirish Dragon » Aug 2 2011, 13:34

Kalah wrote:
Kalah wrote:We're still pushing for info on whether there is any other form of copy protection.
Irina just confirmed it: "there will not be any other copy protection in Heroes VI."

They seem to be doing it the StarDock way - wanting to offer some kind of online bonus material as an incentive for people to log on to the web. This "Conflux" thing should be explained in more detail soon.
From my beta testing, it seems there are some player stats that are tracked on the server, and some features are unlocked when various conditions are met. My evidence is that a few times when I couldn't connect to the conflux, some of my specials reset to baseline levels.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

User avatar
Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20052
Joined: 24 Nov 2005

Postby Kalah » Aug 2 2011, 18:14

Yes, obviously, one of the really stupid things about online stuff is that you're dependent on Ubi and their servers. They tried having a "ghost mode" for H5 which fell to bits ... this "conflux" thing could be a nightmare as well, if Ubi shut down their serveres or don't have adequate coverage. As we know, Ubi don't exactly have a good track record in this matter ...

Still, the lack of DRM is a good piece of news - and should be kept separate from other, more quality-based, aspects of the game.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Roman
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 127
Joined: 02 Dec 2006

Postby Roman » Aug 2 2011, 21:36

Kalah wrote:Yes, obviously, one of the really stupid things about online stuff is that you're dependent on Ubi and their servers. They tried having a "ghost mode" for H5 which fell to bits ... this "conflux" thing could be a nightmare as well, if Ubi shut down their serveres or don't have adequate coverage. As we know, Ubi don't exactly have a good track record in this matter ...

Still, the lack of DRM is a good piece of news - and should be kept separate from other, more quality-based, aspects of the game.
Agreed - the conflux and such appear to be non-core pieces of the game. Although it may be nice to have them, we can do without them and still play the game even if Ubisoft shuts down its servers. As such, I am reasonably placated on this issue. I find this to be acceptable and can make my purchasing decision based on the quality of play, rather than file it for automatic rejection based on the DRM system.

Of course, this assumes that Ubisoft won't backtrack and pull a fast one on us at the last moment - I remain cautious due to their appalling track record with DDRM systems, though if the information does not change than it is definitely positive news...

User avatar
wilebill
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 Jul 2011

Postby wilebill » Aug 6 2011, 20:58

Steam is fine with me. Never had any problems with it.

Internet connection to play is fine with me, my mmo games and others need an internet connection.

What is not acceptable is a validation server that does not work. Nor do I want a form of DRM that has only a limited number of activations. Ubisoft has had some problems with DRM in the past and I must know what form the DRM takes before ordering this game.

I really want Heroes VI so bad I can taste it. But I do not want to buy a piece of junk that will not work because of faulty DRM.

I find it ominous that even the developers cannot provide any information on the DRM

User avatar
Pol
Admin
Admin
Posts: 9593
Joined: 29 Nov 2005
Location: IN SOMNIS VERITAS
Contact:

Postby Pol » Aug 6 2011, 21:51

At least in Beta version, here's an Offline mode. ATM it's bugged though. Loading is not working properly.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Roman
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 127
Joined: 02 Dec 2006

Postby Roman » Aug 7 2011, 8:44

Pol wrote:At least in Beta version, here's an Offline mode. ATM it's bugged though. Loading is not working properly.
I guess it's a good thing they have delayed the release then! 8|

User avatar
Torur
Conscript
Conscript
Posts: 209
Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Location: Faroe Islands

Postby Torur » Aug 29 2011, 12:18

Thankfully there wont be a DRM on the game, just a online add-on(CONFLUX) which will add an extra layer to the game. But it wont force you to be online to play...

User avatar
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot
Posts: 6708
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Location: Florianópolis - Brasil

Postby Panda Tar » Aug 29 2011, 16:10

Roman wrote:
Pol wrote:At least in Beta version, here's an Offline mode. ATM it's bugged though. Loading is not working properly.
I guess it's a good thing they have delayed the release then! 8|
I'm starting to dance the conga in a hope to make them delay even more due the rising amount of ominous issues gathering from the demo only. Wonder how fares the Beta.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

User avatar
Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 67
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: Liverpool

Postby Blocks100 » Oct 16 2011, 12:03

Let me get this straight. If you wish to play the singleplayer mode 'normally' i.e - offline, you cannot equip your hero with key artifacts? (including the one's you get from normally advancing the storyline?)

You don't get campaign starting bonuses either?

If you do opt to use these items (of your own freewill, hah!) by going online to play singleplayer, your offline saves are then synced to Ubihole's servers, which means if they throw a wobbler, you're screwed?

This is DRM 'strategy' is appalling. Why are you people acquiescing in this nonsense?!

User avatar
jeff
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3726
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby jeff » Oct 16 2011, 22:04

I agree with you and it is another thing I don’t like about the way they are handling H-6, but variants of this type of thing are not as uncommon as I thought. Here in the states if you buy Batman: Arkham City from a specific retailer in this case Best Buy you get a bonus character, Robin. I would have thought he was important enough to be included in the basic game. This is not the only example of this. I don’t buy or play these but there you are.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

mr.hackcrag
Dragon
Dragon
Posts: 1467
Joined: 05 Jul 2006

Postby mr.hackcrag » Oct 17 2011, 3:49

Blocks100 wrote:Let me get this straight. If you wish to play the singleplayer mode 'normally' i.e - offline, you cannot equip your hero with key artifacts? (including the one's you get from normally advancing the storyline?)

You don't get campaign starting bonuses either?

If you do opt to use these items (of your own freewill, hah!) by going online to play singleplayer, your offline saves are then synced to Ubihole's servers, which means if they throw a wobbler, you're screwed?

This is DRM 'strategy' is appalling. Why are you people acquiescing in this nonsense?!
Is this really true! 8|

User avatar
frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose
Posts: 111
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby frozd » Oct 17 2011, 14:01

I managed to complete the game in offline mode on normal, you find plenty of good artifacts throughout the game + playing with less resources and not being spied on is really manly.

User avatar
Pol
Admin
Admin
Posts: 9593
Joined: 29 Nov 2005
Location: IN SOMNIS VERITAS
Contact:

Postby Pol » Oct 17 2011, 14:41

frozd wrote:I managed to complete the game in offline mode on normal, you find plenty of good artifacts throughout the game + playing with less resources and not being spied on is really manly.
Yep, it should be possible.

I played game offline in Beta testing and it was quite nice. (Apart from I can't save problem. But, that can add the challenge, right? )
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet


Return to “Heroes V-VI”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 19 guests