Is it naga faction ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 28 Sep 2010, 21:30

I have read a book on the assassins, their origins, their methods. Assassin's creed didn't even try to get it right, they opted to make it cool instead.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 28 Sep 2010, 22:15

Yeah, okay, but at least they did the research, whereas with HoMM/MM:H, especially with a new universe there's no research to do, they just have to throw stuff at a board and see what sticks.

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 29 Sep 2010, 01:36

MattII I know you have done some research on the orginal Naga legends even if it was only looking at Wiki
Elvin wrote:I have read a book on the assassins, their origins, their methods. Assassin's creed didn't even try to get it right, they opted to make it cool instead.
True...It is also inaccurate to say the Knights Templar are alive today and trying to conqure the world. It is a fictional story after all.

I would never ask Ubisoft to make a carbon copy of the orginal Naga stories, but the thing is when it comes to story making the creative talent that was responsible for Assassin's creed seems to be absent when it comes HOMM.

Elvin please tell me. What assurence do I have that Ubisoft can do the Naga justice? What is there to make me think that ubsoft can possibly make a Naga faction cool by being inaccurate? What evidence do I have?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Sep 2010, 09:20

Elvin please tell me. What assurence do I have that Ubisoft can do the Naga justice? What is there to make me think that ubsoft can possibly make a Naga faction cool by being inaccurate? What evidence do I have?
For a number of the fans they may be cool for the rest not so much, it's a matter of personal preference. Times have changed and the reasoning behind factions is not quite the same but back in H2 factions were fun without the lineups making particular sense. If the gameplay is fun most won't mind, others will be disappointed by mythological inconsistencies.

That said there is an inherent problem with nagas as a faction if you think that way. To make it authentic they would have to be both Indian and possibly have most of the race as naga units since I do not recall them having specific alliances. That would alienate the majority of the fans for uninspired design just like dwarves disappointed most people. If on the other hand they spice up the lineup and add cool mythological creatures that are not well tied with nagas your lore satisfaction gets compromised.

To get a reality check the first scenario is never going to happen, if we get nagas they will be the unifying race of a diverse faction with few nagas in the lineup. That is assuming they have learnt anything from H5 which you can bet they have.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

admira99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby admira99 » 29 Sep 2010, 15:08

I guess, faction uniqueness is the answer. You know racial skill and stuff. If they manage to make it "fun", I can live with any culture they will be. Though, I will always say that Chinese culture is more like "Fire" elemental as for their Phoenix, Kirin, Serpent-like Dragon chasing fire ball, not to mention Japanese's Nine Tails fox being a creature related to spirit that is pictured as blue flame, or Gokong's Hair being red-gold that appears like flame or Na Cha Gold-flamed-wheel. On the other hand, Hindu's Naga and Shiva has a specific relation to water thus more appropriate. But who care? as long as the racial stuff is well done, I can bear with any flawed mythological facts.

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 29 Sep 2010, 22:00

Elvin. When I made my faction for ICTC it was hardly a perfect copy of the orginal legends and had a very diverse line up. Neverthless I drew up on alot inspration from the old Naga legends and you know why? It wasn't because I want to roboticly copy them it was because the old legends are good stuff.

The people who made those stores were really creative, and Ubisoft must agree with that to some extent because they are making a Naga faction. Yes we could be totally unathentic with the Naga faction, but that doesn't mean it would be cool (though I admit it could be) it could just end up being disrepectful.

Also I don't agree that being authentic must neccisarly make the faction less fun to play. The thing is Naga legends are very diverse (because Ubisoft is not the frist to have a version of Naga) and they do leave much room for things like diverse line up and stratgic game play.

admira99 wrote: On the other hand, Hindu's Naga and Shiva has a specific relation to water thus more appropriate. But who care? as long as the racial stuff is well done, I can bear with any flawed mythological facts.
The chinese had some intresting things to say about water and so I incorperated some of their culture when I made my Naga faction. However the imagies I have seen of Naga dressed as Samari are atriously Gawdy. therefore I would feel more comfortable if Ubisoft had the ancinet Hindus guiding them through the creative process. This would be possible if Ubisoft were more authentic.

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 29 Sep 2010, 22:22

@ Raelag84: I'm curious, do you have a link with infos to you Naga faction?

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 29 Sep 2010, 23:30

Darkström wrote:@ Raelag84: I'm curious, do you have a link with infos to you Naga faction?
My faction is here http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=32565

But I think the links to information on orginal Naga are more important. Here are the basics and with time I will gather more.

Here is a little link about Nagas.

http://www.khandro.net/mysterious_naga.htm

Next one is on naga worship

http://puthettusarppakkavu.tripod.com/id7.html

And an intresting story about a Naga, well a person's conflict with one really.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/manasa.html

And here is a link about Garuda so tied with Naga.

http://www.khandro.net/mysterious_garuda.htm

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 30 Sep 2010, 13:32

Naga faction seems to have a quiet strong back ground concept. Interesting and vary lines up.
( If there is naga faction )

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 30 Sep 2010, 14:24

ecsunotos wrote: ( If there is naga faction )
Not as far as I know. That was just a little contest I entered and has no effect on how the real game will end up.

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 03 Oct 2010, 01:15

I have more websites for those of us still talking about Naga.

These ones are mostly on Cambodia because I thought it fasinating how in their legends Naga can mate with humans and produce offspring (gives ideas for units I hope)

Here is a little website that just shows how Naga are soemtimes depected in diffrent cultures (more ideas for units hint, hint).

http://www.therianthropes.com/nagas_myt ... m#cambodia

This website is good for explaning some of those mysterious statues in Cambodian temples....and is good if your planing a vacation in Cambodia ><

http://www.angkorguide.net/mythology/naga_garuda.htm

Now this website is the legend of the Cambodian royal famly. I heard it a little diffrenlty from other sources but here it is.

http://hss.fullerton.edu/womens/bredin/ ... staley.htm

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 03 Oct 2010, 13:03

IMO Cambodian architecture is exactly the style that Naga should get, give the Oriental style to another faction.

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 03 Oct 2010, 23:43

MattII wrote:IMO Cambodian architecture is exactly the style that Naga should get, give the Oriental style to another faction.
I know right? Hey have you seen the old city of Angkor wat?

http://www.google.com/images?num=10&hl= ... 79&bih=622

Now that's what I want a Naga city to look like!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Oct 2010, 06:31

MattII wrote:IMO Cambodian architecture is exactly the style that Naga should get, give the Oriental style to another faction.
Cambodia is not in the Orient now?!

But yeah, that would be a nice look. So i doubt they've though of it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 04 Oct 2010, 12:31

In the slim chance that the Naga faction is not the new faction, what do you guys say about bringing this up agian?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Oct 2010, 14:12

Bringing what up again?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

admira99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby admira99 » 05 Oct 2010, 02:58

ThunderTitan wrote:
Cambodia is not in the Orient now?!

But yeah, that would be a nice look. So i doubt they've though of it.
Cambodia and Indonesia are asia south east asia, many countries on South East Asia originally Hindu and Budha based culture. Indonesia was the largest Hindu nation once, before the spreading of Islam religion. If you see Borobudur and Prambanan . you'll find how much Hindu and Budha influence around South East Asia in the ancient times.

(look at Prambanan, see? I told you Hindu and Naga is fit jungle themes more :D )

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 05 Oct 2010, 03:03

I mean bringing up making a better Naga faction. I'm told Ubosoft's has eyes and ears here, which gives us the chance to engage in some serious back seat gaming. :D LOL

And for the record I never denied the jungles fit the Naga faction. In fact when I made my version of a Naga faction it was based in a rainforest, but just because we think Naga belong in rainforest doesn't mean Ubisoft does (nice research by the way).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Oct 2010, 06:38

And for the record I never denied the jungles fit the Naga faction. In fact when I made my version of a Naga faction it was based in a rainforest

Ahem:
Jungle (Sanskrit: जंगल) refers to the most dense, more or less impenetrable regions within a tropical rainforest with an abundance of animal and plant life
admira99 wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote: Cambodia is not in the Orient now?!
Cambodia and Indonesia are asia south east asia, many countries on South East Asia originally Hindu and Budha based culture.
And that has what to do with the fact that they're still a part of what is referred to as the Orient?!

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 05 Oct 2010, 08:58

Yeah, about the 'Orient' thing, my mind has been poisoned by T. Pratchett (the area of Discword known as the Aurient (Au-gold + Orient) is decidedly Chinese), I was referring to the Chinese-ish style of buildings we've seen in the Naga concept art to date.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”