Heroes VI seems to be reinventing the wheel. Good or bad?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Heroes VI seems to be reinventing the wheel. Good or bad?

Unread postby OliverFA » 30 Aug 2010, 20:09

So far by the few information that we have, it seems like Heroes VI is reinventing the wheel. This is a purely personal speculation based on what we know, so maybe I am wrong. But what makes me think it is:

- Change in resources system
- Change in heroes level up and skills system
- Change in battlefield
- Change in flagged structures
- Change in units system (3 core / 3 elite / 1 champion)

That's a lot of changes from my point of view.

The question is: Are all those changes good or bad? Is better to have a revolutionary approach, providing some fresh blood to what is the 6th installment on the franchise? Or would have been better to build on the HOMMV system, expanding it and only changing those places that should be improved?

On one hand, I don't want to pay again for the same game. But on the other hand, I think that the HOMMV formula had a lot of room for improvement, as all the fans wishes show. So I have mixed feelings about it. Trying to make my mind right now.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 30 Aug 2010, 20:39

Well for the most part it looks like an evolution than a revolution, it's not like all those ideas are unheard of. You'd be surprised to see how many of the features were fan suggestions.

Hero system? Check. Return of advanced classes? Check. 2 classes per faction? Check. Bigger and more interesting battlefield? Check. And so on and so forth. Ofc ot everyone is bound to like all changes - the resource part for instance seems a popular complain - but if you take it as a package I don't think we can complain much. Yet :devious:
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 30 Aug 2010, 21:23

I won't complain about the changes as long as I can't really picture how they affect the gameplay. But I do like the new unit system.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 31 Aug 2010, 03:58

Darkström wrote:I won't complain about the changes as long as I can't really picture how they affect the gameplay. But I do like the new unit system.
Yup, let's see how they are implemented in the game.

About New Unit System. Any body can figure it out ? :baby:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Heroes VI seems to be reinventing the wheel. Good or bad

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2010, 06:03

OliverFA wrote: - Change in battlefield
What change in BF?! Different sizes for it isn't that much of a change.
Change in units system (3 core / 3 elite / 1 champion)
And this just sound like nothing more then a text change to make the system feel more intuitive (aka for dummies).
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Heroes VI seems to be reinventing the wheel. Good or bad

Unread postby Elvin » 31 Aug 2010, 06:33

No I am referring to the boss fights, different shapes, dynamic battlefield, different objectives instead of just kill everything. Unit system is different not only in the change of levels but also in that there is a pool of available units from which you can divide those of the same tier. If core has a pool of 15 units you could hire say 10 skellies, 2 ghosts and 3 ghouls if you so desired. Ofc the units are designed to work with each other so that you have a better incentive in using a combination of them than amassing a particular one.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2010, 06:34

So there's more to it... interesting.

They are indeed changing a lot, aren't they.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 31 Aug 2010, 06:39

I think what we are more interested in is the implementation :) I doubt we'll know anytime soon though.
- Metathron

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 31 Aug 2010, 06:45

Yup... I'd like to know further about "units synergy" ... quiet interesting.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2010, 07:12

I think i would prefer they just made another game in the M&M universe then change heroes so much, but i guess they kinda are, and it's called M&M: Heroes... with a 6 behind it for some reason.

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 31 Aug 2010, 07:33

I like most of the new changes Black Hole implemented. Different tier structure seems like a good idea, thus making previous lvl1 units (now core) useful in later stages of the game. Boss fights are a pretty refreshing innovation. They also implemented a lot of rpg elements..I like the idea of having a complete control over my hero/heroine development...not sure how I feel about the new resource system tho, and some other changes, such as converting towns, but from the gameplay I saw, MM:H 6 still has the same HoMM feeling and I'm confident that Black Hole and Ubi will do a good job on this one.. ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2010, 07:36

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment boy... also, on the road to H7 the not-so-turn-based-strategy game...

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 31 Aug 2010, 09:19

lol that won't happen

I actually like all the changes so far. I just hope they do a goob job balancing the tier units. I wouldn't be suprised if everybody will spam that one unit because it's so uberstrong with that one upgrade
For example vampiers with last stand in heroes 5. I'd gladly sacrefice ghost recruitment for more vampires
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 31 Aug 2010, 09:39

Mirez wrote:For example vampiers with last stand in heroes 5. I'd gladly sacrefice ghost recruitment for more vampires
Except that you'd have to sacrifice Liches and Wraith for your vampires :)

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 31 Aug 2010, 09:43

ThunderTitan wrote:I think i would prefer they just made another game in the M&M universe then change heroes so much, but i guess they kinda are, and it's called M&M: Heroes... with a 6 behind it for some reason.
Sometimes I also fear that. If you own the M&M rights. Why make a HOMM clone? I mean... Disciples has to be different in order to avoid legal issues. But that's because in not an official HOMM game.

Look at KB. They copied everything, and then evolved from there. But they did not change things just for sake of changing. and it worked!

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 31 Aug 2010, 09:47

danijel1990 wrote:I like most of the new changes Black Hole implemented. Different tier structure seems like a good idea, thus making previous lvl1 units (now core) useful in later stages of the game. Boss fights are a pretty refreshing innovation. They also implemented a lot of rpg elements..I like the idea of having a complete control over my hero/heroine development...not sure how I feel about the new resource system tho, and some other changes, such as converting towns, but from the gameplay I saw, MM:H 6 still has the same HoMM feeling and I'm confident that Black Hole and Ubi will do a good job on this one.. ;)
That's pure speculation at the moment, so maybe you are right and HOMM6 has the HOMM feeling. But my fear is that there are so many changes to keep that feeling. It takes more than a popup asking you if you prefer gold or experience to keep the HOMM feeling...

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 31 Aug 2010, 10:16

The way I understood unit tiers is that the CORE(3), ELITE(3) and CHAMPION are groupings based on unit power, not limiters.

Meaning, the first 3 units on any town will be roughly equal in power, the next 3 will be more powerful, but between themselves will be roughly equal..etc.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 31 Aug 2010, 10:29

Considering the scale and type of changes I am under impression that the developers do have a vision how they want the game to play. I doubt that so many and principal changes are done just for sake of changing. Developers having a vision is certainly a good thing. An other thing is how it will actually work and how justified is calling it a heroes game. I must admit, that i do not have clear picture yet what the developers are aiming and are they doing a good job. Very probably the game will end up like hoMM IV in the sense that some love it and some hate it.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 31 Aug 2010, 13:20

ecsunotos wrote:Yup... I'd like to know further about "units synergy" ... quiet interesting.
I'm guessing something similar to the H5 synergy between the sprites and treents, or goblins and cyclops- i.e. units get extra abilities if particular other units are on the field.

Taking a cue from Clash of Heroes, I'd say that if there are certain types/numbers of core units on the field (possibly close to an elite/champion) then the elite/champion gets extra abilities.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 31 Aug 2010, 14:23

I'd say it's a good thing. Who dares, wins!
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

Return to “Heroes V-VI”