Idea for manna consumption

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Idea for manna consumption

Unread postby ecsunotos » 27 Aug 2010, 04:15

So far, in HoMM series, when hero cast a spell ( especially in combat ) to damage enemy troops, manna consumption has already been set. The spell always get maximum damage and consume whole points of manna.
e.g. Eldritch Arrow spell for 1000 damage will take 50 points of manna. So, when hero cast the spell, the damage will be 1000 and manna consumption is 50 points.
I think it'll be more efficient if there is a feature to set manna consumption each time hero cast a spell in order to get certain damage point needed.
e.g. if a stack of enemy troop will be destroyed by Eldritch Arrow just by 100 damage points, we can set the consumption of manna of 5 points.

konfeta
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby konfeta » 27 Aug 2010, 04:17

Dunno. This will really just buff early game damage spells by making them more mana efficient and won't do much late game.

Damage spells just needs a better scaling mechanism.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 27 Aug 2010, 11:48

that would make high knowledge heroes unbeatable
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 27 Aug 2010, 12:04

In most cases you can use cheaper spell instead. For example to chose between lightning bolt or cheaper eldrich arrow/fist.
What i think would be useful is ability to downscale spell to lower mastery rank just in case. Like it was done in new King bounty series, where by pressing alt/shift you could downscale spell for cheaper rank or to avoid mass effect of spell.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 27 Aug 2010, 19:10

tress wrote:In most cases you can use cheaper spell instead. For example to chose between lightning bolt or cheaper eldrich arrow/fist.
What i think would be useful is ability to downscale spell to lower mastery rank just in case. Like it was done in new King bounty series, where by pressing alt/shift you could downscale spell for cheaper rank or to avoid mass effect of spell.
That sounds a bit like one of the ideas I had, which was that a spell had an effect-per-cost, and you decided every time how much you were willing to spend.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 28 Aug 2010, 11:40

Mirez wrote:that would make high knowledge heroes unbeatable
They could just cap the maximum amount of mana you can spend on a spell. They can also have diminishing returns after a certain point where you have to spend 3 or 4 times the mana to double the damage.

SplinterHoMM
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SplinterHoMM » 28 Aug 2010, 22:59

Yes, adjustable mana cost is very interesting to me.But we already have (in H5) mana consumption reduced by hero (sometimes creature) skills/abilities and artefacts.Some heroes, like Nur, could use low level spells unlimitedly.

What i'm interested in more is possibility to increase spell damage ('empower') by using more mana (like (1mana x spel lvl) for every 10% increase).
Splinter sayings:
You must strike hard and fade away...

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind, there are few...

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 29 Aug 2010, 03:57

tress wrote:In most cases you can use cheaper spell instead. For example to chose between lightning bolt or cheaper eldrich arrow/fist.
What I think is that we can use even cheaper than the cost of cheapest spell. :D
e.g. with Eldrich Arrow we can have 100 dmg with manna cost of 8. But, what I think is if we need only 50 dmg to destroy a stack of enemy troop, why we have to use 8 manna with 100 dmg ? It'll be more efficient if hero can adjust the manna cost to, let say 50%, to become 4 manna to obtain 50 dmg.
It's very usefull for the beginning where hero have a low manna point because it'll make hero use his / her manna efficiently.
tress wrote: What i think would be useful is ability to downscale spell to lower mastery rank just in case. Like it was done in new King bounty series, where by pressing alt/shift you could downscale spell for cheaper rank or to avoid mass effect of spell.
That can be an interesting idea too ;)
SplinterHoMM wrote:Yes, adjustable mana cost is very interesting to me.But we already have (in H5) mana consumption reduced by hero (sometimes creature) skills/abilities and artefacts.Some heroes, like Nur, could use low level spells unlimitedly.
What I've got in mind is that ability to control manna consumption can be applied to all heroes and not just for specific hero
SplinterHoMM wrote: What i'm interested in more is possibility to increase spell damage ('empower') by using more mana (like (1mana x spel lvl) for every 10% increase).
Please give us an example

SplinterHoMM
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SplinterHoMM » 29 Aug 2010, 11:12

I suggest empowered spells are available to multiple factions (not necessarily all) through special perk.Hero can empower his lightning depending on his mana.
Well, lets say lightning does 50 dmg normally,is a lvl3 spell and costs 8 spellpoints, hero has 30 mana.He can empower his lightning up to 70% max using 29 mana (8+(3x70)/10).Sorry, i'm not very good with formulas, but hope its clear enough :).

Natural limitation here is mana pool.Possible implied limitation can be not more than 100% increase (double dmg) or hero level, so that lvl5 hero can empower his spells up to 50% and lvl15 hero up to 150% (numbers just for example, can be tweaked to balance).
Splinter sayings:

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind, there are few...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Aug 2010, 12:23

Nah... sounds like too much trouble for too little an effect... and it would take out the need to choose if you will spend mana on that dmg spell now or keep it for later, or on what stack you should cast it.

What they need to do is make dmg spells scale in some way with stack numbers, so they don't become rather useless in the late game.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

SplinterHoMM
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SplinterHoMM » 29 Aug 2010, 16:44

Well, you still could use nonempowered spell version...
What they need to do is make dmg spells scale in some way with stack numbers, so they don't become rather useless in the late game.
I think hero should increase his spells dmg with every level, not just with Spell Power stat and skill proficiency.
Splinter sayings:

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 30 Aug 2010, 01:58

SplinterHoMM wrote:I suggest empowered spells are available to multiple factions (not necessarily all) through special perk.Hero can empower his lightning depending on his mana.
Well, lets say lightning does 50 dmg normally,is a lvl3 spell and costs 8 spellpoints, hero has 30 mana.He can empower his lightning up to 70% max using 29 mana (8+(3x70)/10).Sorry, i'm not very good with formulas, but hope its clear enough :).

Natural limitation here is mana pool.Possible implied limitation can be not more than 100% increase (double dmg) or hero level, so that lvl5 hero can empower his spells up to 50% and lvl15 hero up to 150% (numbers just for example, can be tweaked to balance).
It's exactly the opposite of my idea, but nice thought, IMHO. This idea makes the big idea of manna consumption controlling to become more flexible.
So, hero can either reduce or empower spell damage by controlling the manna consumption proportionally. :D
It'll make spell to become effective and efficient.
This is quiet usefull for hero at the begining of the game when they just have a little manna.
Off course Developer should find good formula for the calculation.

ThunderTitan wrote:Nah... sounds like too much trouble for too little an effect
This idea makes manna consumption to become efficient at early stage of the game. Saving 3-5 manna points at that stage is very usefull, IMHO
B-)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Aug 2010, 16:28

ecsunotos wrote:
This idea makes manna consumption to become efficient at early stage of the game. Saving 3-5 manna points at that stage is very usefull, IMHO
B-)
Or they could stop being lazy and just add more spells... H5 had way too few for my taste.

SplinterHoMM wrote:Well, you still could use nonempowered spell version...
I think hero should increase his spells dmg with every level, not just with Spell Power stat and skill proficiency.
Nah, then we'd get less difference between might and magic heroes, or even between magic heroes that are specialized in different areas.

But it kinda looks like might heroes might not even get spells anymore, which will be annoying, i preferred to be able to make them into anything i want, even if it's not the most efficient build.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 31 Aug 2010, 03:46

ThunderTitan wrote:
ecsunotos wrote:
B-)
Or they could stop being lazy and just add more spells...
What do you mean by "being lazy and just add more spells ?
But it kinda looks like might heroes might not even get spells anymore
are there any information about this ?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2010, 06:10

ecsunotos wrote: What do you mean by "being lazy and just add more spells ?
Like if you had more spells you could have a 1 mana dmg spell so you wouldn't be wasting any mana if you just need to do small amount of dmg.
ecsunotos wrote:are there any information about this ?
The faction .pdf's mention that the Hell Knight and Paladin have abilities that resemble Chaos and Light magic respectively.

SplinterHoMM
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SplinterHoMM » 03 Sep 2010, 22:22

ThunderTitan wrote: ...................
Nah, then we'd get less difference between might and magic heroes, or even between magic heroes that are specialized in different areas.
You're mistaken here.Adding the same value (like bonus from being lvl10) does not change the difference between two heroes.
... i preferred to be able to make them into anything i want, even if it's not the most efficient build.
I also ...
Splinter sayings:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Sep 2010, 07:38

SplinterHoMM wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote: ...................
You're mistaken here.Adding the same value (like bonus from being lvl10) does not change the difference between two heroes.
It changes the similarities between them by adding one more though... better to add something that adds to the differences imo.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”