What's The Worst Faction ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 02 Mar 2011, 10:58

Actually, it is a bit interesting to see how the inferno faction has "evolved" over the games
"I did put the fires out."
"You made them worse!"
"Worse?!... Or better?"

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 02 Mar 2011, 16:41

evolved? I hardly see any change, just a bunch of red monsters put together on fire
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 02 Mar 2011, 16:51

<<< Hey I'm a succubus!! So, no more dissing the Inferno!!! :D

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 02 Mar 2011, 17:45

evolved? I hardly see any change, just a bunch of red monsters put together on fire
What did you expected then? Of course it would be nice if they would't rip dd kyton so blatantly but other than that, no complaints.
But personally I believe that Inferno have progressed to positive side since homm3 (I wont even begin comment how lame was inferno part of death in 4 so I leave it at that, ). They replaced units that were unfitting like gogs,efreets with something more decent and gave much better designs to creatures like pit fiends. (arch devil in homm3 was still better thou)

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 02 Mar 2011, 18:12

to be honest I think a evil-fire-sultan thingy fits pretty well in inferno
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 02 Mar 2011, 20:48

I would say tress feels about the same as i do about inferno.
"You made them worse!"
"Worse?!... Or better?"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Mar 2011, 21:39

Mirez wrote:to be honest I think a evil-fire-sultan thingy fits pretty well in inferno

But ashan-lore wise it's a bit iffy... too bad.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 14 Mar 2011, 01:01

tress wrote:
But personally I believe that Inferno have progressed to positive side since homm3 (I wont even begin comment how lame was inferno part of death in 4 so I leave it at that, ). They replaced units that were unfitting like gogs,efreets with something more decent and gave much better designs to creatures like pit fiends. (arch devil in homm3 was still better thou)
Meh. Imo Efreets fit perfectly in Inferno since they're supposed to be malevolent creatures in traditional mythology - even assiocated with devils in islam iirc. Gogs were alright, maybe a bit boring... Having only demon creatures in HoMM 5 was too much for me, I want more diversity. And the new pit fiends look horrible imo - but I didn't like the old ones much either, they looked like a frail old dude with a whip.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 14 Mar 2011, 06:20

Mirez wrote:evolved? I hardly see any change, just a bunch of red monsters put together on fire
Same for Necropolis, only a little better for Haven (Angel and Gryphon were new to H3) and Sylvan, etc.

Zenofex
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Zenofex » 14 Mar 2011, 10:25

Macros the Black wrote:]Meh. Imo Efreets fit perfectly in Inferno since they're supposed to be malevolent creatures in traditional mythology - even assiocated with devils in islam iirc. Gogs were alright, maybe a bit boring... Having only demon creatures in HoMM 5 was too much for me, I want more diversity. And the new pit fiends look horrible imo - but I didn't like the old ones much either, they looked like a frail old dude with a whip.
The ifrits in the Islamic mythology are not necessarily evil, the evil jinns are the ghuls. The ifrits lean more towards the neutral part of the spectrum like most of the other jinns. They are however associated with fire and could be pretty arrogant which makes them somewhat fitting in the Kreegan Inferno (they are not Kreegans anyway). In Ashan however, their best placement mythology-wise will be in the dwarven Fortress.
The Heroes VI Inferno is tolerable and even has some well-made creatures - Pit Fiend, Succubus, Breeder. The Juggernaut however does not look tough enough for its name (it is much more intimidating on the concept art) and the Maniac hardly impresses me. The sad "this is not the real world" story with the Cerberus is getting tedious so I won't mention it. The Tormentor is acceptable but for some reason looks redundant.
Beware Kreegans bearing gifts.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 14 Mar 2011, 10:30

MattII wrote:
Mirez wrote:evolved? I hardly see any change, just a bunch of red monsters put together on fire
Same for Necropolis, only a little better for Haven (Angel and Gryphon were new to H3) and Sylvan, etc.
It seems that people hate a faction just by the skin colour for the creature.
Inferno : Reddish
Necro : black glowing green.

not from deeper perspective. ;|

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 14 Mar 2011, 23:07

The Necro creatures in H2 were Skeleton, Zombie, Mummy, Vampire, Lich, Bone Dragon, in H5 they were Skeleton, Zombie, Ghost, vampire, Lich, Wight and Bone Dragon. 2 creatures different, and one of them is because a tier was gained in H3, so, yes, not a huge load of development.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 15 Mar 2011, 02:05

MattII wrote:The Necro creatures in H2 were Skeleton, Zombie, Mummy, Vampire, Lich, Bone Dragon, in H5 they were Skeleton, Zombie, Ghost, vampire, Lich, Wight and Bone Dragon. 2 creatures different, and one of them is because a tier was gained in H3, so, yes, not a huge load of development.
So, what do we expect here ? Totally different lines up ?

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 15 Mar 2011, 04:25

No need to go that extreme, but 3-4 different creatures would have been nice (I don't think many people would have complained about the Ghoul and the Fate Spinner replacing the Zombie and the Bone Dragon in H5).

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 15 Mar 2011, 13:26

MattII wrote:The Necro creatures in H2 were Skeleton, Zombie, Mummy, Vampire, Lich, Bone Dragon, in H5 they were Skeleton, Zombie, Ghost, vampire, Lich, Wight and Bone Dragon. 2 creatures different, and one of them is because a tier was gained in H3, so, yes, not a huge load of development.
For completeness:
in H3 the necro lineup was:
skeleton, zombie, wight, vampire, lich, death knight, bone dragon

Note that the wight in H3 is closer to a ghost in H5 than the H5 wight. Thus, only one different creature from there.
(of course, the necro side of infernolopis was only 4 units- skeleton, ghost, vampire, bone dragon)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 15 Mar 2011, 19:19

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:(of course, the necro side of infernolopis was only 4 units- skeleton, ghost, vampire, bone dragon)
I don't think anyone's ever going to count infernopolis, because for one thing, you could only get 5 creatures from any one town, and for another it was an absolute abomination.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 31 Mar 2011, 18:48

ecsunotos wrote:It seems that people hate a faction just by the skin colour for the creature.

Well appearances can set one off liking a faction - you wouldn't like to look at cubes and balls in a geometric faction now would you?

But I dislike inferno deeper than their color. I dislike them because instead of necropolis, they do not contribute to the story line other than to be the bad guys.

Necropolis is often sly, manipulative and is misunderstood which opens up ways to change their 'alligance' from good to bad and back. Hek all factions show this duality (well perhaps save for the sanctuary at this point... who seem to be all zen and good which I dislike aswell) Inferno is just plain bad and have no options to go any other way because of their core story.

But I guess that just makes life easier for story tellers.
Grah!

yourworstnightmare
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yourworstnightmare » 01 Apr 2011, 12:35

I hope Sanctuary won't be just a bland zen faction, but also involve the imperialist attitudes of old Japanese and Chinese culture. Thus it would have a duality.

Inferno sucks though, it can't be anything else than stereotypical the ev0l.

Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 01 Apr 2011, 21:36

There can be no good without evil? =)

But anyway, as yourworstnightmare says, it would be interesting if sanctuary didn't turn out to be just a bland zen faction.
"You made them worse!"
"Worse?!... Or better?"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Apr 2011, 23:10

ecsunotos wrote:
MattII wrote:
It seems that people hate a faction just by the skin colour for the creature.

Red, burning people have always been discriminated against for no good reason... well, besides that whole "drag everyone to a pit of fire so they can suffer forever" thing.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”