What's The Worst Faction ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 30 Aug 2010, 11:58

TheRider wrote: If they make the Faceless the new faction, they can use a dark elf or two in it - this is one possible line-up:
1. Deep Gnome
2. Razor (small underground reptilian-ptherodactile like bird with sharp beak)
3. Shadow Blade (dark elf)
4. Medusa (not human but dark elf)
5. Overlord (beholder, but the copy rights for that word belong to Wizards of the Coast
6. Chimera
7. Reaver
Since we're probably getting the Naga faction this time, I bet they will place the Medusa there (maybe Hydra and Wyvern too).

TheRider
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheRider » 30 Aug 2010, 12:06

Not realistic, but somehow logical. If there is no logic, than let's just bring in every town a random set of strong units and call them stronghold, or random set of magic units and call them Academy. Logic is about consistency, not realism.

A phoenix will stick with let's say night elves (that live in truly deserted areas in the nature like exotic volcano terrain) and worship the Stars and the Moon (phoenix is part of the Moon energies is Heroes 6). If the elves live in the woods, treants and Dryads (as a strong lvl 7 spell caster, not the tiny dryads that are often used as a fill-up in the nature theme in various games), unicorns and tigers are suited. High Elves living in the mountains could have Dragons, hypogriffs, mantises and pegasus. It always depends on the deeper idea that gathers all elements together, not the idea öh, it is fantasy, you can do whatever your imagination tells you"

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 30 Aug 2010, 12:07

We may be getting a Naga faction, but we may also be getting a Wizard faction since the timeline states that the war between the Necromancers and the rest of the wizards left much of the terrain in the area uninhabitable, maybe indicating that it had once been lusher...

Of course, the fact that the Necropolis isn't supposed to exist just yet (or for another ~200 years supposedly) may mean that they're just completely disregarding the old timeline and maybe a lot of things to do with it.

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 30 Aug 2010, 13:44

MattII wrote:
Soronarr wrote:Like wizards being more medieval like and less oriental.
Wizards are Arabic, not Oriental, and Medieval is already taken by Haven.
My bad, I meant to type arabic.
Either way, it doesn't matter. So what if Haven is already medieval like? Is there some rule that states that every town has to be based on a different continent?
In HOMM" all factions were pretty much medieval. And there was nothing wrong with it.

Why, the Christian church lauded Griffins (or Gryphons, or however they spelt the name) as holy, and since Haven is basically just a Medieval Christian faction...
When did that happen?
And many mythological creatures were lauded by the Church. By thet logic, haven should have phoenixes.

And Phoenix represent the circle of life and death - perfect for nature.
A burnt part of the forest re-grows, with lands more feritle.
True, but Phoenixes build their nests in the desert according to legend, and I'm trying hard to think how 'desert' and 'forest' can be put together.
Phoenix building it's nest in the desert? Which phoenix? Egyptian one? Babylonian? Japanese? Practicly every culture has a phoenix myth, and not all have deserts.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 30 Aug 2010, 14:02

MattII wrote:We may be getting a Naga faction, but we may also be getting a Wizard faction since the timeline states that the war between the Necromancers and the rest of the wizards left much of the terrain in the area uninhabitable, maybe indicating that it had once been lusher...

Of course, the fact that the Necropolis isn't supposed to exist just yet (or for another ~200 years supposedly) may mean that they're just completely disregarding the old timeline and maybe a lot of things to do with it.
Unless they are combining wizard/necro, since it is before they split. The whole town would be artificial life- whether constructs or undead. The lineup could be something like:
core units: skeleton, ghost, golem
elite units: vampire, lich, dragon golem (as H4 unit, maybe renamed)
champion unit: titan (as a large construct)

Storyline-wise, there could be a growing disconnect between the magic-powered construct faction and the necro-faction which leads to the eventual split several hundred years later.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 30 Aug 2010, 14:08

The necro units are more or less known so this theory is out.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Aug 2010, 16:18

Soronarr wrote:
And Phoenix represent the circle of life and death - perfect for nature.
A burnt part of the forest re-grows, with lands more feritle.
True, but Phoenixes build their nests in the desert according to legend, and I'm trying hard to think how 'desert' and 'forest' can be put together.
Phoenix building it's nest in the desert? Which phoenix? Egyptian one? Babylonian? Japanese? Practicly every culture has a phoenix myth, and not all have deserts.
Eh, no. The egyptian one (or assyrian, whereever the greeks stole iot from) is the only actual Phoenix... all the others you're thinking of are simply birds associated with fire or magic in some way... but the myth does state that it would burn itself in a nest made in a tree, so it works either way.

If they make the Faceless the new faction, they can use a dark elf or two in it - this is one possible line-up:
1. Deep Gnome
2. Razor (small underground reptilian-ptherodactile like bird with sharp beak)
3. Shadow Blade (dark elf)
4. Medusa (not human but dark elf)
5. Overlord (beholder, but the copy rights for that word belong to Wizards of the Coast
6. Chimera
7. Reaver
Wow, look at that, it's like a 90's comic book superhero team...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 31 Aug 2010, 03:39

Necros lines up has become quiet obvious. Based on screen shots, it'll be like this, more or less :

1. Skeleton
2. Ghoul
3. Ghost
4. Lich ( don't like, HoMM V's Lich far away has better looks )
5. Vampire ( I Love the new look of vampire and vampire lord )
6 Spider Lady ( dunno the name is )
7. Sphinx

I think they'll be fast unit but not to strong.

What's Spider Lady doing in necros / what's her ability ?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 31 Aug 2010, 06:22

You got the champion wrong :)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2010, 06:25

ecsunotos wrote: 4. Lich ( don't like, HoMM V's Lich far away has better looks )
No, not really... H6's just doesn't look like a Lich much though.

ecsunotos wrote:6 Spider Lady ( dunno the name is )
What's Spider Lady doing in necros / what's her ability ?
Well if they had put it in Dungeon it would have been H5's Dark Elves al over again... just this time from D&D.

I hope they go with Arachne or something, and not Drider...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 31 Aug 2010, 06:33

ThunderTitan wrote: Well if they had put it in Dungeon it would have been H5's Dark Elves al over again... just this time from D&D.

I hope they go with Arachne or something, and not Drider...

due to the colour of the Drider in screen shot, which is black and glowing green, I think they put her in necro

Elvin wrote: You got the champion wrong
You mean it should be

6. Sphinx
7. Drider ?

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 31 Aug 2010, 06:41

TheRider wrote:
A phoenix will stick with let's say night elves (that live in truly deserted areas in the nature like exotic volcano terrain) and worship the Stars and the Moon (phoenix is part of the Moon energies is Heroes 6). If the elves live in the woods, treants and Dryads (as a strong lvl 7 spell caster, not the tiny dryads that are often used as a fill-up in the nature theme in various games), unicorns and tigers are suited. High Elves living in the mountains could have Dragons, hypogriffs, mantises and pegasus. It always depends on the deeper idea that gathers all elements together, not the idea öh, it is fantasy, you can do whatever your imagination tells you"
Tigers live in jungles, not regular woods.

Phoenixes belong with elves. Regular elves..no fancy sub-variety.

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 31 Aug 2010, 06:45

ThunderTitan wrote:
Eh, no. The egyptian one (or assyrian, whereever the greeks stole iot from) is the only actual Phoenix... all the others you're thinking of are simply birds associated with fire or magic in some way... but the myth does state that it would burn itself in a nest made in a tree, so it works either way.
Bollocks. There is no "actual" phoenix. As I said, it appears in practicly every culture, even on different continents. Which is fascinating really, given the time and distances involved make it impossible for the idea to spread from a central point.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 31 Aug 2010, 07:12

Tigers live in jungles, not regular woods.
Ever heard of Siberian tigers? Ones that live in snow or snow or regular woods.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 31 Aug 2010, 07:19

Please don't talk about tiger in HoMM .... it's just way too common creature in fantasy universe like HoMM
:disagree:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2010, 07:22

Soronarr wrote:Bollocks. There is no "actual" phoenix. As I said, it appears in practicly every culture, even on different continents. Which is fascinating really, given the time and distances involved make it impossible for the idea to spread from a central point.
Yes, the word doesn't actually come from anywhere, and everyone in the world actually just worshipped a roman deity by another name...

Might as well say that every myth hero is Gilgamesh, so you can just put him on Krypton... NOT.

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 31 Aug 2010, 07:44

You might want to check the wiki on that one.

Apparently, the same beatuiful, importal bird tied with fire myth pops up everywhere in the world - india, china, greece, persioa, rome, egypt, phoenicia. (and I belive there were images of the Phoenix found on the american continent too)

b.t.w. - the name egyptians used for it was Bennu.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2010, 08:27

And Phoenix was what the greeks called it when they talked about the egyptian bird.

But the others are simply firebirds (the russians have one called exactly that too, but it only glows, no rebirth as i recall), which is a common theme, like so many others... Might as well say Raiden (Raijin sounds so much better imo) is just another Thor so we can just give him a hammer.

While most of the middle-eastern ones might be related, the chinese one is only superficially similar, just like european and asian dragons...

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 31 Aug 2010, 08:46

the russians have one called exactly that too, but it only glows, no rebirth as i recall
They have rebirth, each autumn they die to be reborn in spring, in bonus they drop feathers that are useful as plot devices.

But in essence it doesnt matter what each bird do in each myhalogy. In all cases for mythalogy authors take liberty to suit mythalogical creatures to their needs, and its ok as long as their version dont turn out to be lame. For example legacy of kain vampires have little left from Stockers vampires, but they are cool just the way they are. Doubt Stocker imagined Max Schreck as vampire either, but nowadays image of Nosferatu is iconic.
Blue phoenix that live in woods are fine as long as they make semi normal explanation for their existence, and thee is no need to bash it on mythological basis.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2010, 09:11

tress wrote: They have rebirth, each autumn they die to be reborn in spring, in bonus they drop feathers that are useful as plot devices.
I remember the feathers, but not the autumn/spring thing... guess it just wasn't a plot point in any of the fairy tales i read.
For example legacy of kain vampires have little left from Stockers vampires, but they are cool just the way they are.
Actually all their weaknesses are derived from Stoker's Dracula, except the sunlight, which comes from Nosferatu. And being scheming, world conquering wanna-be's ius also way closer to Stoker then many other vampires in fiction. (and Stoker didn't invent them anyway).
tress wrote:Blue phoenix that live in woods are fine as long as they make semi normal explanation for their existence, and thee is no need to bash it on mythological basis.
Actually i was simply arguing about the mythological bird not being the same thing in all mythologies just because there are some similarities.

The blue phoenix is stupid because there's no point in making it blue, silver would be a better colour for it if it's associated with the moon...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”