Your likes/dislikes in Heroes6 game design

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 03 Sep 2010, 12:07

@Soronar, you really don't have any idea that art like this one you posted costs much more money than to use the engine to move your 3D (already set) figures? Let me enlight you - it isn't called ART for nothing.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Sep 2010, 12:18

To be fair to him it was also about CGI, and drawings are cheaper then CGI still (although i guess it does depend on the artist).
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 03 Sep 2010, 12:26

parcaleste wrote:@Soronar, you really don't have any idea that art like this one you posted costs much more money than to use the engine to move your 3D (already set) figures? Let me enlight you - it isn't called ART for nothing.
Well, if your engine is low-detailed and the figures don't have the necessary animation...or the scenery..You cannot recreate what you want without adittional time and money spent on modeling and animating.

See the "fighting" at the end in HOMMV. It was horrible.

Or for example..two characters strolling trough the forest, holding hands or making grand gestures? A impressive sword fight in a throne room?

You'd need 3D models of the location, more detailed 3D models of the characters and proper animations for all of it.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Sep 2010, 12:40

Soronarr wrote: See the "fighting" at the end in HOMMV. It was horrible.
Which is funny considering the menu animation fight...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

LongDarkBlues
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby LongDarkBlues » 03 Sep 2010, 13:28

ThunderTitan wrote: Harder for GPU's then what, 3D?! Are you high?!
Absolutely - GPUs from the last decade are built to render complex 3D models quickly, but there have been virtually zero changes to the way machines handle 2D animation. Besides just taking way longer to create individual frames of 2D, at high resolution, it's much more system intensive - a high-res 3D model only has one high-res texture that moves with the skeleton, basically, and a high-res 2D character has dozens of high resolution images for every single possible motion that all have to loaded to make the gameplay responsive.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 03 Sep 2010, 14:13

Elvin wrote:There will be larger battlefield sizes, also caravans are out because they won't be needed in the new system.
Are there going to be situational battlefield sizes, like in the H5 beta?
For those who don't know, early betas had the size of the battlefield depend (at least partly) on the number of stacks involved in the battle. (some fields as small as 6x8, some as large as 16x20)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 03 Sep 2010, 15:55

What I got was:

- Specific topography (various sizes and shapes for the battle arenas)
- Dynamic topography (seashore battle with the tide flooding the arena turn by turn)
- Different combat objectives (hold your ground for X turns, defend this sacred shrine at the center of the arena, kill a specific enemy stack, etc.)
- Boss fights
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Sep 2010, 07:50

Now lets see if it actually makes it past beta this time.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 05 Sep 2010, 06:30

Elvin wrote:- Dynamic topography (seashore battle with the tide flooding the arena turn by turn)

While this sounds very interesting, I will say this. If your troops happen to be standing where the flood moves in and that ends up killing some of them because they "drowned", that will be a very bad implementation.

If it just slows them down because they are in the water, then that would be acceptable.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 06 Sep 2010, 12:19

would suck if flying units would drown lol
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 06 Sep 2010, 14:03

King Imp wrote:
Elvin wrote:- Dynamic topography (seashore battle with the tide flooding the arena turn by turn)

While this sounds very interesting, I will say this. If your troops happen to be standing where the flood moves in and that ends up killing some of them because they "drowned", that will be a very bad implementation.

If it just slows them down because they are in the water, then that would be acceptable.
Actually, let them drown- but with a warning. For example:
round 1 of flooding: just a graphical change.
round 2 of flooding: ground units slowed by 1 tile movement
round 3 of flooding: ground units slowed to half speed, have attack/defense penalties
round 4+ of flooding: ground unit start drowning. Undead and constructs immune. Flying units ending movement on a flooded space also drown. Fire-based units like fire elementals take extra damage, even if they don't drown. Tall units (dragons, colossus, titan &c.) stay at the "round 3" status. Water elementals heal. Other units may have special considerations as well.

Like this, units that would drown have 3 turns to get out of the way.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 06 Sep 2010, 14:16

King Imp wrote:

I assume you haven't played KB:AP?
The Driller boss and the last boss have abillity to remove line of last tiles from battlefield. It has 2 turns "casting time", so you have time to move your units. But if you don't, they will be lost.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Sep 2010, 14:30

I assume you haven't played KB:AP?
The Driller boss and the last boss have abillity to remove line of last tiles from battlefield. It has 2 turns "casting time", so you have time to move your units. But if you don't, they will be lost.
That may work in single player game where player must think how to overcome difficulty, and such boss fights from time to time refreshes gameplay. But in strategy game I somehow think it is not best idea as AI will hardly be able to use that, and it will be exploited against it.
For example in the same KB, you can easily abuse wasp nests and other battlefield extras to your advantage just because of stupid ai who ignores them.
In such game as KB its ok since rules arent even, and pretty much anything goes, but in strategy game devs must be more careful when implementing something like that.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Sep 2010, 07:37

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:Flying units ending movement on a flooded space also drown.
Because they're too stupid to keep flying while over water, something every bird who doesn't float is smart enough to?!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”