Your likes/dislikes in Heroes6 game design

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Sep 2010, 06:42

Soronarr wrote:Useless, given that a hero doesn't actually USE that stuff.
If the hero could actually run around and swing that Sword of Judgment...sure. Otherwise? Don't bother. Waste of resources that could be better spent elsewhere.
Well you would see it in his hand when he raises it while screaming "GRIFFIN ETERNAL!!!!", so basically all the time. :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 01 Sep 2010, 10:08

Yes, that is VERY tintilating and exciting....yeah.... ;|

That was one of the worst things in H5. Terrible "fighting" cutscenes were all the heroes do is flail their arms and yell while sitting on their horses/elephants/whatever.

If you don't have the time or money to make proper fighting cutscenes or CGI scenes, just use 2D art. Tell a story properly, or don't tell it at all.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Sep 2010, 10:52

But without the SHINY™ how will the people pay attention to it?!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 01 Sep 2010, 11:02

By being good 2D art?

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 01 Sep 2010, 11:26

2D is sometimes more expensive than 3D. Esp. when you have already ready 3D one to put in use.

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 01 Sep 2010, 11:49

Compared to 3D? Dirt cheap.

2-3 black and white pictures don't require no motion capture nor time of modelers and texturers...and they can easily show thing the game engine cannot.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 01 Sep 2010, 13:17

Yeah, sure.

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 01 Sep 2010, 13:42

Glad you agree. :proud:

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 02 Sep 2010, 00:46

2D was history, isn't it ?

Do you know any 2D game survives nowadays ?

LongDarkBlues
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby LongDarkBlues » 02 Sep 2010, 03:24

Soronarr wrote:Compared to 3D? Dirt cheap.

2-3 black and white pictures don't require no motion capture nor time of modelers and texturers...and they can easily show thing the game engine cannot.
No - 2D art is vastly more time-intensive to create, especially for a game of this scale, and, in high resolution, is harder for the GPUs to process.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Sep 2010, 06:13

LongDarkBlues wrote: No - 2D art is vastly more time-intensive to create, especially for a game of this scale, and, in high resolution, is harder for the GPUs to process.
Harder for GPU's then what, 3D?! Are you high?!

The reason 2D takes longer if because almost every animation needs you to draw the whole creature again from zero, while a 3D model can just be made to move.
Soronarr wrote:By being good 2D art?
Hahaha... you're funny.

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 02 Sep 2010, 12:39

How are several images more cost and time-intensive than GCI or in-engine cutscenes?

See this:
http://stopgame.ru/files/wallpapers/763 ... ance-7.jpg

You tel la story with a series of several images like this, instead of a half-assed in-game cutscenes that cannot really show what you want.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 02 Sep 2010, 13:19

Or how about they basically copy what Starcraft did over a decade ago and make the cut-scenes separate from normal play?

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 02 Sep 2010, 16:56

Likes so far:
- Love the look of the new units (especially the Griffin)
- Converting towns is very interesting
- They kept the battlefield the same size (could be bigger, but at least they didn't shrink it like Nival tried to do)
- LOVE that they are going back to the Heroes 3 method of Might and Magic heroes

Dislikes so far:
- Less resources
- Only 5 factions (there needs to be 6 minimum to start, with the option of adding 2 more in the expansions)
- Will not be happy if this new storyline means the Angels/Archangels are no longer part of the Haven (or whatever it's being called this time) castle
- No caravans = BAD (I sure hope there is a valid reason for this and not an idiotic decision to scrap things like Nival was prone to do)
- Will miss the Initiative part of combat. I was one who actually liked it and understood it. To me every unit having one turn per round was always stupid. Why should a slow unit like a Golem or Zombie be able to go as many times as a fast unit like a Griffin or a Sprite?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 02 Sep 2010, 20:25

There will be larger battlefield sizes, also caravans are out because they won't be needed in the new system.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 02 Sep 2010, 21:22

Elvin wrote:There will be larger battlefield sizes, also caravans are out because they won't be needed in the new system.

Very cool on the larger fields. While I grew accustomed to what Nival gave us, it still could have been a bit larger.

As for the caravan situation, is there any real news as to why it won't be needed? I only ask because Nival didn't think caravans were needed either, but because they were morons that couldn't see the big picture they had to be convinced as to why it was. I just hope this isn't another case of not seeing the big picture and there is a real reason as to why it's not needed.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 02 Sep 2010, 22:09

King Imp wrote:As for the caravan situation, is there any real news as to why it won't be needed? I only ask because Nival didn't think caravans were needed either, but because they were morons that couldn't see the big picture they had to be convinced as to why it was. I just hope this isn't another case of not seeing the big picture and there is a real reason as to why it's not needed.
One of the changes is that the mobs spawning in external dwellings will :
1) boost your city growth (that's not new though)
2) be directly recruitable in your cities

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 02 Sep 2010, 23:29

What about transferring creatures from one town to another?

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 03 Sep 2010, 06:48

MattII wrote:Or how about they basically copy what Starcraft did over a decade ago and make the cut-scenes separate from normal play?
What part of "cost" and "time" do you have trouble with?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Sep 2010, 10:06

Soronarr wrote: See this:
http://stopgame.ru/files/wallpapers/763 ... ance-7.jpg

You tel la story with a series of several images like this, instead of a half-assed in-game cutscenes that cannot really show what you want.
If you suck at telling a story together with visual cues it doesn't really matter what you use to the visual part.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”