Heroes VI pictures

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 24 Sep 2010, 19:59

Zenofex wrote:The art direction remains somewhat childish with these ridiculous weapons and armors - especially regarding the Haven troops, where even the most basic infantry is equipped with ornameted plate mails and sophisticated looking offensive armament. At least for the time being however, the concept art and the actual units look better compared to what we have in HoMM V.
Did you want more peasant-looking creatures ? :P Seriously! :)

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 24 Sep 2010, 20:48

Think those vampire arts were discussed in news section, but still nice arts. Pale hair for vampire/undead is getting little cliche after Legacy of kain and warcraft but still not bad concept. Just form of faces is somewhat unnaturally stretched

Zenofex
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Zenofex » 24 Sep 2010, 21:53

Nelgirith wrote:Did you want more peasant-looking creatures ? :P Seriously! :)
No, something even lower than peasants. I want the creatures to look like the very bottom of the society, the lumpenproletariat at its disgusting worst. Seriously!
... or serious. I want the creatures to make some sense. That's achievable and we've had it before. In HoMM I - IV the lower tier human infantry looks like lower tier infantry - little to no armor, basic but effective for their purpose weapons and nothing shiny on them. If you train these fellas in thousands and give every single one of them a full plate mail and a ceremonial weapon, the debt collectors will crush you much before the demons/undead/everybody else arrive.
And yes, a reasonably looking lower tier creature still could be drawn beautifully. That's just not the aim of whoever's drawing the units.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 24 Sep 2010, 22:32

The Haven units fit in the theme of Fighters of the Light God and Protectors of Ashan. I doubt Angels would ally themselves with crappy units like peasants (as in H5)

If you read the way the Haven is described on the Facebook preview :
The Haven nobles are excited when they hear that a Demon invasion has been prophesized. This is the chance for them to demonstrate their superiority to all other factions for the first time in history, by brilliantly and courageously shining in the exciting battles about to come. Their empire is ready to take place as the legitimate defenders of Ashan.
It makes sense that they have good looking and shiny units.
Zenofex wrote:I want the creatures to make some sense. That's achievable and we've had it before. In HoMM I - IV the lower tier human infantry looks like lower tier infantry - little to no armor, basic but effective for their purpose weapons and nothing shiny on them.
Which is most likely why the Haven is the dullest faction through all the HoMM. Too normal, too basic, they had nothing special except the Angels.

So far, the H6 Haven reminds me a lot of those Warhammer Empire or Bretonnian armies - which is far more interesting than the crap Haven we've had since Heroes 1 with its super peasants. I want to see more units like the H1/H2 Paladin and less like the ridiculous peasants.

Zenofex
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Zenofex » 24 Sep 2010, 22:50

No one gets so excited about incoming war (if this thing is possible at all) to forget that he'll have to pay from his pocket for the equipment. These show room armors and weapons are below even the least cost-effective thing for any sentient commander or landlord. I for one vote the wood/dark elves to keep the monopoly over the weaponry produced by Versace and the humans to receive something that's actually usable.
Haven is a dull faction because it's monotonous and homogeneous in a world that is colourful and heterogeneous, not because its lower tier units look like lower ties units. For the very same reason HoMM V Fortress, Stronghold and Dungeon are dull factions (and Sylvan is just gay).

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 25 Sep 2010, 07:58

The Haven units fit in the theme of Fighters of the Light God and Protectors of Ashan. I doubt Angels would ally themselves with crappy units like peasants (as in H5)
Its conscription. Its hard to imagine all out war without it, country dont have money to train into professional swordsman, although homm5 offers that option or at least some 20 per week.

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 26 Sep 2010, 02:18

Zenofex wrote:
Nelgirith wrote:Did you want more peasant-looking creatures ? :P Seriously! :)
No, something even lower than peasants. I want the creatures to look like the very bottom of the society, the lumpenproletariat at its disgusting worst. Seriously!
... or serious. I want the creatures to make some sense. That's achievable and we've had it before. In HoMM I - IV the lower tier human infantry looks like lower tier infantry - little to no armor, basic but effective for their purpose weapons and nothing shiny on them. If you train these fellas in thousands and give every single one of them a full plate mail and a ceremonial weapon, the debt collectors will crush you much before the demons/undead/everybody else arrive.
And yes, a reasonably looking lower tier creature still could be drawn beautifully. That's just not the aim of whoever's drawing the units.
I agree. Totally. But since these two are probably elite units, there's nothing wrong with fancy armor. :)

(In principle. I'm actually not a fan of fancy armor.)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Sep 2010, 14:09

King Imp wrote:Some clearer pics of two Necro units.

Countdown to TT showing up and saying these are not new and he hates them begins... NOW. ;)
Why would i say the're not new when you clearly state that they are simply clearer pics?!

And Vampires with swords are still wrong dammit. Also, the Lich could use looking more skeletal... they look more like necromancers to me.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 26 Sep 2010, 15:39

ThunderTitan wrote:And Vampires with swords are still wrong dammit.
I quite agree. Also, I wish they would make them more powerful again, like in H4.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 26 Sep 2010, 16:35

Thirded. Get rid of the stupid sword, already!
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 26 Sep 2010, 17:00

I figure these are vampire warriors , so wielding a sword is perfectly acceptable. I suppose they could return to the the classic Nosferatu look of HOMM III but having seen these new units on the screenshots, they look pretty good imo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Sep 2010, 17:01

And if they really want to give them weapons it should be something with which they can grapple the opponent so they can bite, like hook-swords or something: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Swords.jpg

Metathron wrote:Also, I wish they would make them more powerful again, like in H4.
I think the main reason why they where OP in H4 was because of the instant retal thing, as they would resurrect themselves by 50% of the full stack dmg... they weren't really better then their previous incarnations otherwisse.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 27 Sep 2010, 09:59

Nelgirith wrote:The Haven units fit in the theme of Fighters of the Light God and Protectors of Ashan. I doubt Angels would ally themselves with crappy units like peasants (as in H5)
Zenofex wrote:I want the creatures to make some sense. That's achievable and we've had it before. In HoMM I - IV the lower tier human infantry looks like lower tier infantry - little to no armor, basic but effective for their purpose weapons and nothing shiny on them.
Which is most likely why the Haven is the dullest faction through all the HoMM. Too normal, too basic, they had nothing special except the Angels.

So far, the H6 Haven reminds me a lot of those Warhammer Empire or Bretonnian armies - which is far more interesting than the crap Haven we've had since Heroes 1 with its super peasants. I want to see more units like the H1/H2 Paladin and less like the ridiculous peasants.
No, it doesn't make sense for them to have ALL of their units shiny and well equipped. Do you have any idea how expensive plate mail is?

For higher tier units - yes. Fully equipped in head to toe in best armor. They are the elite after all. Lower tier units, units that are suppsoed to be fileded in large numbers - they do not have that luxury. Leather armor and chainmail/scailmail, if they are lucky enough.

And no, Haven is not dull. Quite the opposite.

And no, it doesn't make sense for angels to leave the pesants to die, just because they're not shiny enough.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 27 Sep 2010, 10:07

Soronarr wrote:And no, Haven is not dull. Quite the opposite.
Tastes and opinions ...

Soronarr
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Soronarr » 27 Sep 2010, 10:17

Well, if that is so, then you cannot claim it's "dullness" as a state of fact, now can you?

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 27 Sep 2010, 10:59

Soronarr wrote:Well, if that is so, then you cannot claim it's "dullness" as a state of fact, now can you?
Neither can you claim it's a cool faction then :P

You don't want them to be heavily armored, I don't want them to look as dull as they are in previous Heroes. So we can only agree that we disagree ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Sep 2010, 11:25

Now see, these are proppa vampires: http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/img/media ... ary_04.jpg They're so cool they even have shades.

Soronarr wrote:<<No, it doesn't make sense for them to have ALL of their units shiny and well equipped. Do you have any idea how expensive plate mail is?>>
In a land where magic is commonplace i doubt that it would be as expensive as in RL.

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 27 Sep 2010, 11:40

ThunderTitan wrote:Now see, these are proppa vampires: http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/img/media ... ary_04.jpg They're so cool they even have shades.
Lol, that looks so ridiculous that it's just plain cool. :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Sep 2010, 11:53

That's Blood bowl for ya.

But what i really like is how his clothes kinda evoke Lugosi's (and H4's) suit wearing vampire...

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 27 Sep 2010, 13:46

That Blood Bowl Vampire is superbly done! :tsup:
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Return to “Heroes V-VI”