Heroes VI pictures

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Jan 2011, 22:30

Looking at this one it dawns on me that the Jaguar Warrior model also has some elements in common with those 3... so it's the artist having a bit of a fixation instead of just reusing the same 3D models?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 19 Jan 2011, 22:31

The sea looks good from afar, however they better make it come alive with fish and other creatures. Think King's Bounty for example, where I sometimes stop playing for a moment to enjoy the lovely and lively surroundings. The sea in HoMM V was virtually dead.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Jan 2011, 22:39

Metathron wrote:The sea in HoMM V was virtually dead.
Well that water dragon things probably ate all the fish by the time of H5... and died from starvation afterwards... that's why it's not there either...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

sezerp
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sezerp » 20 Jan 2011, 08:22

I see that obsession to guard every resource pile is still there...
Mission: defeat crossbowmen, reward: whatever you'll find in that campfire:-)
(picture for Jan 20, lower left corner)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Jan 2011, 18:57

As i recall H3 had no guarded piles of resources together with guarded ones... and guarded mines are important for pacing the game.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jan 2011, 21:02

So you'll get resources and exp. I won't complain. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 20 Jan 2011, 21:37

Meh, the adventure map still has that ugly H5 feeling to it. I know, it's probably unfair to judge it by some static pictures (the game might look better in motion), but come on, it looks like H5 with updated/better textures.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jan 2011, 21:43

I ilke the new and hightened picture output Ubi policy - a picture every day. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

sezerp
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sezerp » 20 Jan 2011, 22:39

ThunderTitan wrote:As i recall H3 had no guarded piles of resources together with guarded ones... and guarded mines are important for pacing the game.
Exactly. Dear mapmakers: guarded resource piles are an option :-)
Kalah wrote:So you'll get resources and exp. I won't complain.
..and quite possibly lose some of your precious starting army. These are shooters, you know :-) But who knows, maybe with that new core/elite/champion thing it is not that bad.

On more serious note: not much to do on those maps... Lots of pretty, little stuff to interact with. I wonder if it will change.

LongDarkBlues
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby LongDarkBlues » 21 Jan 2011, 08:10

sezerp wrote:Lots of pretty, little stuff to interact with.
Oh for chrissakes - we've been hearing this baseless complaint since H5 - I know that 3D is scary and the change of relative object size is terrifying, because GOD KNOWS the last thing the internet wants is anything that differs from H3 in any tiny way at all. Today's screen shot:

is just as filled with stuff as you average tiny area of a H3 map - is this really disastrously vacant?

Because that looks fine to me. If anything, the H3 version could be even more compact to match the H6 version.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 21 Jan 2011, 10:41

You have to admit though, the 3D perspective does make it at least a little bit tricky to judge how big that map is.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

H6 Map Editor

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Jan 2011, 13:43

My contacts just sent me a screenshot of the H6 map editor ...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Jan 2011, 13:59

Kalah has contacts... how gangsta of him.

Now ask them if Nixon knew about the Naga or not.
LongDarkBlues wrote:
sezerp wrote:Lots of pretty, little stuff to interact with.
Oh for chrissakes - we've been hearing this baseless complaint since H5 - I know that 3D is scary and the change of relative object size is terrifying, because GOD KNOWS the last thing the internet wants is anything that differs from H3 in any tiny way at all. Today's screen shot:
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3570/23588580.jpg

is just as filled with stuff as you average tiny area of a H3 map - is this really disastrously vacant?

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5360/h3forh6screen.jpg

Because that looks fine to me. If anything, the H3 version could be even more compact to match the H6 version.
Actually the reason why it seems that there's less stuff in the 3D maps is because the hero-on-horse is smaller and also 3D maps tend to have a smaller max size too, thus the whole island takes more room so people have an expectation to see it have more stuff on it...

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 21 Jan 2011, 15:12

I do not use the current (H5) map editor much; mostly because I really struggle with. It's a little too complicated.

sezerp
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sezerp » 21 Jan 2011, 16:48

LongDarkBlues wrote: I know that 3D is scary and the change of relative object size is terrifying, because GOD KNOWS the last thing the internet wants is anything that differs from H3 in any tiny way at all.
Right, because I totally said that. Oh wait, I actually said quite the opposite, that a certain _new_ feature has a chance to turn up well.... :disagree:

Change of scale is not terrifying, but if it means sacrificing gamplay then it's stupid. It's a goddamn map, no reason for it to be 'proportional', or 'realistic' except that large trees look nice.

Look at this:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/her ... screenshot

A town, 2 mines, witch hut, 2 dwellings, watermill and lots of water and foliage. If you can sqeeze all that on comparable space on H6 map, then indeed, no reason to complain.
LongDarkBlues wrote:
If anything, the H3 version could be even more compact to match the H6 version.
Wait, so you're saying the same can be achieved in H3 using less of map's real estate ? ;|

LongDarkBlues
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby LongDarkBlues » 21 Jan 2011, 17:35

That's about 1/8 of a Small map in H3. Have they published anything about map size limits in H6? Regardless, look at that map editor above - I can't see why you couldn't make a horribly designed trainwreck of a map like the image you linked to if you really wanted to.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: H6 Map Editor

Unread postby King Imp » 21 Jan 2011, 17:38

Kalah wrote:My contacts just sent me a screenshot of the H6 map editor ...

12 players, huh? Interesting.

As for the rest, I'd have to play around with it to see if it's better or worse than the H5 editor.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 21 Jan 2011, 23:06

King Imp wrote:As for the rest, I'd have to play around with it to see if it's better or worse than the H5 editor.
Technically, it can only be better. Nothing can be worse than the H5 editor :D

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 22 Jan 2011, 05:16

Nelgirith wrote:
King Imp wrote:As for the rest, I'd have to play around with it to see if it's better or worse than the H5 editor.
Technically, it can only be better. Nothing can be worse than the H5 editor :D

That's true. That thing was a major clusterf***. Worst part about that garbage was if you downloaded someone else's map that had changed the parameters, then it ended up messing up every map you had. Yeah, well thought out project there Nival. :tsdown:

I'm actually hoping this new editor is more like the Heroes 3 one. That to me was perfect as it was simple to use and easy to understand.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”