Are you going to buy Heroes V?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Are you going to buy Heroes V?

Yes
53%
No
24%
I am undecided as of now
23%

Total votes: 126

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Mar 2006, 00:06

berntie wrote:Yeah, but those crappy games will probably not be Heroes sequels.
It's not like they've never made sequels to bad games before.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Mar 2006, 00:11

Derek wrote:I must say that I envy the fact that you, Corribus, have the ability to spend all that money on something that you think may not be the best investment. Oh...how nice that would be.
You miss the point of what I'm saying. I'm not rich. 50 dollars to me, while definitely not life-changing by any means, is still not something I'd flush down the toilet or waste on something frivolously. The point is: if you are a Heroes fan, and if you are unsure if you will ike H5, 50 dollars is not so much that if H5 didn't turn out to be everything you wanted, that you'd never recover. I wouldn't (and don't) just go out and plunk 50 bucks down on every game that comes around the corner. But this is Heroes 5! If my computer will run it, I'll buy it, because I'm a huge fan of the series and I'd like to see what someone else does with the title, for good or ill. You can save your money for ten years to go on the dream vacation and it might suck. Nothing is sure. 50 dollars is a small price to pay for a game in a series we've all loved a long time, and, while it might not be up to the standard set by the first couple, will probably at least be playable and may, just may knock your socks off.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

lilacperfection
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby lilacperfection » 10 Mar 2006, 00:31

The thing is Heros is something different to each individual- every one loves it for different reasons. I am not good enough to finish a campaign, I play eveything in the easiest mode I can. I couldnt tell you the name of any of the "heroes". but I have a blast playing it in my own way. And hey- I even like Heros 4!
Having a new version come out with new maps to try was fantastic. All the hype that went along with it! To find a group of people who loved it as much as I- we all fueled the hype. I guess you could say there is now great disapointment that this game will not live up to what I expected- what we all expected.
Would I buy it with out SF? Probably- I could try to live with the game play issues- as I said I dont play it as well as all you people do. But I respect your reasons that this game will not be as you wish it to be.
If Ubi would come out and answer our questions and really listen to us- that would make a big difference with me as well as most of us. As I see it- they have alot of damage control at this point- and the game isnt even out!

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 10 Mar 2006, 02:21

really i dont think that H5 will be a failure, if the game wont have to many bugs, they can sleep safer

but i think that the game will turn boring in few weeks, anyway my opinion only

Heroes story was bland and boring IMO, i always plays first the skirmish games in ALL the games i buy, then i try campaing, one only need the first 2 to know if the story is interestiong or not, an example is AoW campaings, great BTW, i have played some of them more than 1 time, great story

in the other side H4 story was much better than H3, and actually is the first heroes that i have played campaings -and finished too-

with that i dont mean that all the heroes have bad campaing, but i was talking about H3 mostly, guess will be the same in H5

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Mar 2006, 06:07

Corribus wrote:There is a time to be safe, that's for sure. But sometimes if you play it too safe in the hope that you are protecting yourself, especially from irrational fears, you just end up missing opportunities. If you play it safe your entire life, then by the time you die, you haven't really lived.
Says the guy that supports ubi for playing it (too) safe with HV :| :disagree:
Kareeah Indaga wrote:Those are counted among “Heroes IV fans”. They may not be actual Heroes IV fans, but their reasons for not being excited about HV are the same—it’s largely a rehash of Heroes III, it’s missing newer features etc...
Are you suggesting HIV fans hate HIII?Could you be farther from the truth?I enjoy both HIII and HIV.In fact,Im currently playing HIII,not HIV.And I dont consider either one of those a better game.But I still dislike HV very much.Besides,I never heard anyone sying "HIII bad!Everything used there mustnt be mentioned ever again!".

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 10 Mar 2006, 07:00

Wonder if H5 will be more popular than H3 or H4. ;|
One thing is sure there will be drawn out two groups from both H3 and H4, one hate it and one like it group, but will the "I like it" groups from both H3 and H4 be bigger in total than the hate group? Well only time will tell.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 10 Mar 2006, 08:15

Orfinn wrote:Wonder if H5 will be more popular than H3 or H4. ;|
One thing is sure there will be drawn out two groups from both H3 and H4, one hate it and one like it group, but will the "I like it" groups from both H3 and H4 be bigger in total than the hate group? Well only time will tell.
Heroes V will never reach the level of quality, pleasure or fan loyalty that Heroes III & Heroes IV reached. It can only rise to the level of a cheap copy.

It won't be a matter of "I like it" or "I hate it" groups. Those who love Heroes III will see Heroes V as just a clone with 3D graphics … and those who love Heroes IV are pissed that UbiSoft didn't listen to the fans and include any of the improvements which Heroes IV brought to the series.

Each game has to stand on its own merits. Heroes II & III were so fantastic that Heroes V will seem like a shallow shell of a game in comparison. And Heroes IV, even with its shortcomings, is a wonderful game. It has originality … something that Heroes V seems to be sorely lacking.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Mar 2006, 08:18

HodgePodge wrote: Heroes V will never reach the level of quality, pleasure or fan loyalty that Heroes III & Heroes IV reached. It can only rise to the level of a cheap copy.
I dont see 50$ as cheap.Its more like an expensive copy :devil:

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 10 Mar 2006, 09:35

HodgePodge wrote:
Orfinn wrote:Wonder if H5 will be more popular than H3 or H4. ;|
Heroes V will never reach the level of quality, pleasure or fan loyalty that Heroes III & Heroes IV reached. It can only rise to the level of a cheap copy.

It won't be a matter of "I like it" or "I hate it" groups. Those who love Heroes III will see Heroes V as just a clone with 3D graphics … and those who love Heroes IV are pissed that UbiSoft didn't listen to the fans and include any of the improvements which Heroes IV brought to the series.

Each game has to stand on its own merits. Heroes II & III were so fantastic that Heroes V will seem like a shallow shell of a game in comparison. And Heroes IV, even with its shortcomings, is a wonderful game. It has originality … something that Heroes V seems to be sorely lacking.
Are you beta testing the game HP, have you ever tried HV? If not you lack in arguments, noone knows how H5 turns out, it may turn out great or abysmal. Recent events have made it clear that we cant in fact say anything about the game yet (besides those details and features that alredy are stated), because noone have played the finished game. The history is interesting, some of the creature names are out of place that can I say for sure.
Im pretty neutral in this hate and love war about H5, sides like those sickens me because we cant argue yet if the game is good or bad because we havent played it yet, you may have only played or seen the beta, but you cant tell anything about it before its out, playing it at your friends PC or on your own and then make statements and say if it crap or awesome.

I love the style of this game it has class but hate it because its infested with SF, so here I am sitting on the fence, shall I buy it or not, tempting both :-D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Mar 2006, 09:51

Orfinn wrote: Recent events have made it clear that we cant in fact say anything about the game yet (besides those details and features that alredy are stated), because noone have played the finished game.
Orfinn wrote: Im pretty neutral in this hate and love war about H5, sides like those sickens me because we cant argue yet if the game is good or bad because we havent played it yet, you may have only played or seen the beta, but you cant tell anything about it before its out, playing it at your friends PC or on your own and then make statements and say if it crap or awesome.
But lets be realistic,shall we?What are the chances that the game will change alot in just a few months from what it is now?Remember that beta is not a demo,it is the game itself at the current stage of development.Sure,we found out that some features can be corrected(necro bug,scalable BF,etc),but there are some core elements that are bad and wont change until the final release(chaining for example).For me,this game isnt bad,but its not good either.Its just about average.And heroes should never be average.Were used to having a marvelous game that we can play over and over and over and over again for years and years.I mean come on!HIV was so poorly done,yet so many people still love it dispite its flaws.Major flaws I might add.Im not so optimistic about HV holding players attention in such a manner.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 10 Mar 2006, 11:37

HodgePodge wrote:Heroes V will never reach the level of quality, pleasure or fan loyalty that Heroes III & Heroes IV reached. It can only rise to the level of a cheap copy.
That was
funny. It's reasonable to presume that it won't be as popular as H3, but in it's current beta state it's already twice the game that H4 was.

It won't be a matter of "I like it" or "I hate it" groups. Those who love Heroes III will see Heroes V as just a clone with 3D graphics ?
Haha.. No. Many of the H3 fans including myself have faith in H5.
Each game has to stand on its own merits. Heroes II & III were so fantastic that Heroes V will seem like a shallow shell of a game in comparison.
H4 did that, and much more.
And Heroes IV, even with its shortcomings, is a wonderful game. It has originality ? something that Heroes V seems to be sorely lacking.
If you are ready to close your eyes and admit H4 was a "wonderful game" then no sequel can dissapoint you.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Mar 2006, 14:46

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Corribus wrote:There is a time to be safe, that's for sure. But sometimes if you play it too safe in the hope that you are protecting yourself, especially from irrational fears, you just end up missing opportunities. If you play it safe your entire life, then by the time you die, you haven't really lived.
Says the guy that supports ubi for playing it (too) safe with HV :| :disagree:
There's quite a difference between playing it conservative with a multimillion dollar game title and with a 40-50 dollar personal copy.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Mar 2006, 14:48

HodgePodge wrote: Heroes V will never reach the level of quality, pleasure or fan loyalty that Heroes III & Heroes IV reached. It can only rise to the level of a cheap copy.

THE ORACLE HATH SPOKEN!! BOW, YE FANS OF HEROES, FOR THE FATE OF HEROES V HATH BEEN DETERMINED.

Phew, that's a load off... and here I was worried that I'd have to play the game myself before determining how I felt about it. Thanks HodgePodge for assuring me that you could make that determination for all of us. We're all so lucky to have you around to divine the future for us. Perhaps you can supply some stock tips for us, too?

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 10 Mar 2006, 15:54

DaemianLucifer wrote: Are you suggesting HIV fans hate HIII?
Are you hallucinating, or merely seeking out something else to spam on? Because I never said anything of the sort. My point was (and still is) that people who want to see heroes on the battlefield, caravans, and other features unique to Heroes IV will be disappointed by their disappearance in HV.
Corribus wrote:THE ORACLE HATH SPOKEN!! BOW, YE FANS OF HEROES, FOR THE FATE OF HEROES V HATH BEEN DETERMINED.
LOL. :D

Zombie
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zombie » 10 Mar 2006, 16:35

chaosgorgon wrote:believe me there are guys that loved H3, hated H4, but even they wont buy the same H3 again wit fancy graphics
I wouldn't buy the same H3 again with fancy graphics, because i hate fancy graphics. However i would buy the same H3 again without fancy graphics!

All this is irrelevant of course since H5 is very far from H3! There are a lot of new features in this game, more so than there were between H2 and H3, and that didn't keep people from buying H3!

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 10 Mar 2006, 16:59

h2 and h3 are quite different, h3 is better in the gameplay, and more "balanced", since some skills were added (like the overpowered ranged skill in H2 that was more balnced with offencive in H3)

H3 basically was more, more, more but even was less strategic than H2 in some aspects

in H5 u have less towns and with the H3 "strategic" stuff, just see the ultimate monsters all fliers and 1 ranged, h5 is less, less,less, but is an lesser H3, bad idea IMO -but the skill system is nice, but im not really sure about the straigth town-monster-hero relation, how they done that is a "less"-

i know that there are new features like the new combat system , that is quite nice, but is pretty well exploited with the old retaliation system

from h2 to h3 u saw the towns and said "hmm these guys what gonna do?" or "what is the big deal with this unit???", in H5 everything is well known, again i tell u the AoW example, from AoW1- to 2, there are inovation in the factions

the problem in this H5 is that is neither an improved H3 -like WoG was or tried to be- even some old gameplay problems of H3 are returning

BUT, im not saying that the game is cursed, but im pretty sure that it will turned boring fast

also the game is somewhat retrograde to modern times, just see that "FoW"

and i wouldnt buy again H4 or H3s, i mean im not so hard -die fan...

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 10 Mar 2006, 18:22

Corribus wrote: THE ORACLE HATH SPOKEN!! … We're all so lucky to have you around to divine the future for us. Perhaps you can supply some stock tips for us, too?
Thank you, I try! :-D Sorry, I don't play the stock market. If you want some tips, perhaps you should ask UbiSoft's customer service department.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 10 Mar 2006, 20:32

Corribus wrote:You miss the point of what I'm saying. I'm not rich. 50 dollars to me, while definitely not life-changing by any means, is still not something I'd flush down the toilet or waste on something frivolously. The point is: if you are a Heroes fan, and if you are unsure if you will ike H5, 50 dollars is not so much that if H5 didn't turn out to be everything you wanted, that you'd never recover. I wouldn't (and don't) just go out and plunk 50 bucks down on every game that comes around the corner. But this is Heroes 5! If my computer will run it, I'll buy it, because I'm a huge fan of the series and I'd like to see what someone else does with the title, for good or ill. You can save your money for ten years to go on the dream vacation and it might suck. Nothing is sure. 50 dollars is a small price to pay for a game in a series we've all loved a long time, and, while it might not be up to the standard set by the first couple, will probably at least be playable and may, just may knock your socks off.
See, this is why I am a much bigger fan of console games than those on the PC. I could just go and rent the game to find out if I wanted it, for 2 dollars. I do not just go and hope that a game is good, even if the name of the series is something that I enjoyed in the past. 'But this is Heroes V'...brand loyalty is not something that I am into so much, quality loyalty is quite something else. As of right now I can see of no reason to go out and slap down $50 for a game that has less then 'knocked my socks off'.
Hell has frozen over...

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Mar 2006, 22:45

Well it's a shame I agree that you can't rent PC games. I certainly would have saved some money over the years.... .. .

Toejam
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Toejam » 10 Mar 2006, 23:41

Yes, non are the less, Heroes is still one of those games i play for month's and month's ,while other titles i get bored after a couple of day's
Keep your friends close... And your enemy's closer !

Return to “Heroes V-VI”