Are you going to buy Heroes V?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Are you going to buy Heroes V?

Yes
53%
No
24%
I am undecided as of now
23%

Total votes: 126

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 07 Mar 2006, 21:50

It is not that I don't care what people have to say about their reasons for getting or not getting Heroes V, but I was under the impression that allowing such a discussion could very well turn the topic into a flame war. Nobody wants that. Pro HV people yelling at Anti-HV people and vice-versa, this was my assumption at the time. If people want to give their reasons then they can go right ahead(not as though I could have stopped them in the first place).

I am not getting the game because I did not enjoy the beta much at all. Obviously the beta is an unfinished product, and there will be changes to the final version, but the departure from the series in hopes of getting more fans is too much to bear. The Silent Hill series did this with their fourth installment, after having 3 exceptional games prior to this, and now I am skeptical of buying the next one(should it arrive that is). I suppose my point is this: the new turn system is utter garbage.
Hell has frozen over...

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Mar 2006, 23:05

Derek wrote:It is not that I don't care what people have to say about their reasons for getting or not getting Heroes V, but I was under the impression that allowing such a discussion could very well turn the topic into a flame war. Nobody wants that.
There there, no flame war "giive peace a chance" and all that … :victory: …*soothe soothe* :hug:

*whisper whisper* Image Truth be known, I probably wouldn't have bought Heroes V right away either, until I got the word from the other fans and RT members. Just don't like the look & feel of it, with the 3d camera angles & panning as well as many other elements … not to mention the hostile way many fans have been treated by UbiSoft. :tsdown:
Last edited by Anonymous on 08 Mar 2006, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

lilacperfection
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby lilacperfection » 08 Mar 2006, 00:25

My son and i will not be buying it- does that count as 2 votes? And you all know the reason- that "S" word.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 08 Mar 2006, 03:06

Derek wrote:It is not that I don't care what people have to say about their reasons for getting or not getting Heroes V, but I was under the impression that allowing such a discussion could very well turn the topic into a flame war. Nobody wants that. Pro HV people yelling at Anti-HV people and vice-versa, this was my assumption at the time.
That's what the moderators are for. :D We'll take care of things if a flame war develops. Until then, everyone is free to discuss things. The people here at the RT are among the most friendly and civil that I've encountered anywhere on the Net.

Back on topic, I voted No as well. While I haven't had any Starforce problems with the beta, the game itself is simply not good. I figure I'll give it one more chance if they release a demo or something. If that doesn't work out, then it's back to the beloved Heroes II.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 08 Mar 2006, 03:26

This is true, but saving you time is something that must be appreciated at some point. B-)

[random digression]And yes, I will likely be going at H2 again soon. THUNK shall be defeated.[/random digression]
Hell has frozen over...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Mar 2006, 06:56

Voted no,but I might reconsider it after I try it at my nephews.

Morannon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Morannon » 08 Mar 2006, 10:16

I'll buy it if it turns out SF is harmless to my security, I'm not yet convinced it is. It probably is safe but I want to be sure first. Just been too lazy to do any research yet...

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 08 Mar 2006, 12:20

Votet "yes"...

I've got Etherlords 2 and still Starforce didn't burn my computer, ate my DVD drive, punched old women in the face, robbed a bank or told bad jokes about me in chat forums....

.... sooo, i'll give it a try
('though i would prefer when it didn't include SF after all, but this is pitily only wishful thinking i guess)!

The only thing that could change my mind was if the map editor surprisingly wouldn't be in, would suck or would be shipped within an expansion!
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 08 Mar 2006, 14:05

It will depend on the quality of the map editor. If it has a campaign capability, I'll buy it otherwise I'll wait and see if the expansion has one. B-)
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

berntie
Scout
Scout

Unread postby berntie » 08 Mar 2006, 18:22

Vote no ... for now. Why?

Because:

- of Starforce
- I don't meet the SysReqs

Well, I'm a hopeless addict, too, so I will buy it sometime in the (far) future. I'm hoping for a Linux version which

- should come without Starforce
- have lower SysReqs.

My ultimate dream coming true would be a Linux version of the limited edition. But I fear this won't turn into reality :(

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Mar 2006, 19:13

HodgePodge wrote:
Derek wrote: I think the overall point is to just find out if they are going to buy it, not for the reason that they have decided to do so. It is a valid concern, but not the purpose of the topic.
Well then, let me say that without offering some sound reasoning, this topic is rather useless & boring! :snore:
Seconded. What's the point of the poll otherwise? Most people here are civilized. And those who can't be civilized will be taken out into the streets and beaten mercilessly until they agree to be so! :)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 08 Mar 2006, 20:43

I'm surprised that so many diehard fans are saying no or maybe :what:

Myself I'm not sure since there are some things I'm unhappy with and that I'm always trying to get all software for free (Cold hearted bastard way of thinking, I know....)

My reasoning to buying and not:

+Support the maker of HoMM
+Original with manual and stuff
+Good consience

-Loses money

Well, regarding software and big publishers my consience can take a hit. Multiplayer can always be taken care of with other programs and there's no way I would play against strangers online (except for RT people since you seem so nice :hug:)

And Galactic Civilizations II just got released so my yearly "buy games" money will go to that :p

Oh, StarForce v.4.0 will come soon btw so forget about Daemontools and the like :wave:

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 08 Mar 2006, 22:11

Campaigner wrote:I'm surprised that so many diehard fans are saying no or maybe :what:
I’m not surprised, but I think Ubi should be concerned. There are a lot of sub-divisions among us Heroes fans, and several of them have good reasons to be unhappy. For example:

--People without high-end computers
--People who won’t buy games that aren’t rated ‘E’, either because they have kids and want to protect them or solely on principle
--People who won’t buy games with Starforce attached
--People who actually care(d) about the old world’s story, history, etc. *cough*like me*cough*
--Heroes IV fans, who want heroes on the battlefield etc…

There are those who are willing to overlook a few of these things—out of hope that the expansion/HVI will change things towards their liking, for instance, or because the facet in question isn’t the most important one to them. But there are others who do put a lot of weight in one of the above, or are members of several of the above groups. It’s hard to want to buy a Heroes game that’s missing most of the things that made it Heroes. :S

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 08 Mar 2006, 23:09

Corribus wrote:
HodgePodge wrote:
Derek wrote: I think the overall point is to just find out if they are going to buy it, not for the reason that they have decided to do so. It is a valid concern, but not the purpose of the topic.
Well then, let me say that without offering some sound reasoning, this topic is rather useless & boring! :snore:
Seconded. What's the point of the poll otherwise? Most people here are civilized. And those who can't be civilized will be taken out into the streets and beaten mercilessly until they agree to be so! :)
Would you like for me to change the poll at this point? It seems to me that it's too late as of now...
Hell has frozen over...

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 08 Mar 2006, 23:12

Derek wrote:
Would you like for me to change the poll at this point? It seems to me that it's too late as of now...
No, don't change the poll. Just be satisfied that so many people are voting in it and expressing their opinion(s). That's the sign of a successful poll. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 09 Mar 2006, 00:56

Kareeah Indaga wrote: I’m not surprised, but I think Ubi should be concerned. There are a lot of sub-divisions among us Heroes fans, and several of them have good reasons to be unhappy. For example:

--People without high-end computers
--People who won’t buy games that aren’t rated ‘E’, either because they have kids and want to protect them or solely on principle
--People who won’t buy games with Starforce attached
--People who actually care(d) about the old world’s story, history, etc. *cough*like me*cough*
--Heroes IV fans, who want heroes on the battlefield etc…

There are those who are willing to overlook a few of these things—out of hope that the expansion/HVI will change things towards their liking, for instance, or because the facet in question isn’t the most important one to them. But there are others who do put a lot of weight in one of the above, or are members of several of the above groups. It’s hard to want to buy a Heroes game that’s missing most of the things that made it Heroes. :S
I guess I qualify as a diehard, since I’ve owned and played every one of both series since MM2 and Heroes 1 including all add-ons, and enjoyed everyone of them yeah I did enjoy Heroes IV though it was not all it should have been, several fan made maps have compensated for many of the AI shortcomings. Ok I’ll admit I never did finish MM9, I have been hoping TELP would finish their 1.4 patch, well maybe someday.

I’m on the fence for several reasons, the main one I mentioned earlier the lack of a campaign function in the map editor kills the overall interest, since I rarely play single map scenarios. However other items have been causing me concern. Their ridiculous replacement of the entire Hero set of characters, and Fabrice’s explanation we did it because it was too much fun not too. Hello does anybody know what the first word in the title of this game is, and as I have said before what it the one thing that’s not carried over. You change the world, the characters and the story/history of a game all at the same time and you know what, you do not have the same game line anymore except in the name. Their changes are so extensive one wonders is this basically a game theme they have been sitting on waiting for a game line to publish it under. Time will tell. The starforce issue is beginning to worry me, but like many I have not researched it very thoroughly but will before I buy. I could care less about an ‘E’ rating, if I still had kids at home I might, but it has always baffled me, people get upset at women lightly dressed (or not dressed) but do not seem to mind the whole sale slaughter going on in the battlefield, I thought only us Americans were screwed up, I guess it’s a world-wide affliction. UBI needs to be worried, I am worried, I want Heroes to succeed if for no other reason than to see a MM10 finally made.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 09 Mar 2006, 04:35

Kareeah u forgot...

-and ppl that just arent interested to play only H3 in 3d

u know the guys that say "well, where is the big deal with this stuff??"

the story in the game was always somewhat bland, and will be the same in this new, but with different names, i really dont think that a lot of ppl joined heroes by it story

anyway i still not decided

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Mar 2006, 06:14

Campaigner wrote:I'm surprised that so many diehard fans are saying no or maybe :what:
We maybe are diehard fans,but we arent brainless :disagree:

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 09 Mar 2006, 12:06

berntie wrote:
My ultimate dream coming true would be a Linux version of the limited edition. But I fear this won't turn into reality :(

...and afterwards Ubisoft will do something against worldwide famine, put an end to all wars, turn everything bad into good and crap into credible...

Oh oh.... better take the first motorway out of this Utopia :D

*Grüße nach Wofliland*
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Gyx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gyx » 09 Mar 2006, 15:18

I am going to buy it straight away. I have waited for years for a new Heroes game to come out and I assume that when it will be sold at stores, the quality will be sufficient for a satisfying Heroes experience! I can't imagine that Starforce will take away from that experience. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that so many frequent visitors of the Round Table are uncertain about pruchasing the game. I mean, is the development of Heroes V not what we have been waiting for, for all these years? Even if the endresult can be something else from what you would have hoped for? :|

Return to “Heroes V-VI”