Are you going to buy Heroes V?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Are you going to buy Heroes V?

Yes
53%
No
24%
I am undecided as of now
23%

Total votes: 126

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 10 Mar 2006, 23:42

Heh, well in Serbia and Montenegro, we don't have games for rent, but on the other hand, if you're not sure about buying the original, you can get a glimpse of it easily and for a pretty miserable price, if you know what I mean :D

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 11 Mar 2006, 16:31

Corribus wrote:Well it's a shame I agree that you can't rent PC games. I certainly would have saved some money over the years.... .. .
Well my saved money is for a 'rainy day', so to speak, and not for a new way to fill up my computer. My computer sure would be shiny though after HV is installed...so shiny.
Hell has frozen over...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Mar 2006, 17:19

Corribus wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:
Corribus wrote:There is a time to be safe, that's for sure. But sometimes if you play it too safe in the hope that you are protecting yourself, especially from irrational fears, you just end up missing opportunities. If you play it safe your entire life, then by the time you die, you haven't really lived.
Says the guy that supports ubi for playing it (too) safe with HV :| :disagree:
There's quite a difference between playing it conservative with a multimillion dollar game title and with a 40-50 dollar personal copy.
Well,Im glad youre not my financial advisor.The reason they have millions of dollars is because they care about every single cent they spend.
Infiltrator wrote:Heh, well in Serbia and Montenegro, we don't have games for rent, but on the other hand, if you're not sure about buying the original, you can get a glimpse of it easily and for a pretty miserable price, if you know what I mean :D
Is that piracy your talking about?Nah..Im sure you know thats illegal,right? :devious: :devil:
Infiltrator wrote: That was
funny. It's reasonable to presume that it won't be as popular as H3, but in it's current beta state it's already twice the game that H4 was.
Youre kidding,right?
Infiltrator wrote: Haha.. No. Many of the H3 fans including myself have faith in H5.
Yet many of them dont.Its not about which part youre fan of,its about how much you like inovation.If you are conservative,of course youll like HV
Infiltrator wrote: H4 did that, and much more.
Infiltrator wrote: If you are ready to close your eyes and admit H4 was a "wonderful game" then no sequel can dissapoint you.
Youre kidding again?Just take a look at how many people still play HIV dispite all of its flaws.Tell me,what other game can make you disregard crapy AI,poor balance,overpriced sequels and lack of multiplayer?

Btw,not some source that is 100% correct,but still

conjurer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby conjurer » 11 Mar 2006, 20:01

Voted no. It may just be that Heroes of Might and Magic V will be a hit, but for me it looks like heroes, it has the title, it works in general on the same principles, but it just doesn't feel heroes (can't really place my finger on it why... it's that "je ne sais quoi"). Maybe it's because I grew up with the heroes series (Heroes I, II and III), when the time computers still had that TURBO button and 100MHz meant something (it was that romantic period when it was all so new, when the Heroes series and a lot of other games had substance and a certain 'magic' about them, it's a feeling that you can't really describe it...) and all of this became a part of my life. Heroes V just doesn't have the same spirit and I guess it's because of the people involved in the making of the game, sry to say, they may have did their best, but they only succeded to copy the form... they just don't have it in them.(JVC where are you?). Well a chapter is closed and it's history now, the authentic heroes feeling ended with 3DO and NWC and the people there and for now we must look to the future...
THE HEROES SERIES IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE HEROES SERIES!

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 11 Mar 2006, 21:29

Is that piracy your talking about?Nah..Im sure you know thats illegal,right? :devious: :devil:
Right :D
Youre kidding,right?
Youre kidding again?Just take a look at how many people still play HIV dispite all of its flaws.Tell me,what other game can make you disregard crapy AI,poor balance,overpriced sequels and lack of multiplayer?

Btw,not some source that is 100% correct,but still
I'm deadly serious. Sucky games will be played no matter what, I see tons of games that are far worse then H4 and are still getting played. H4 by itself isn't as much of a crappy game, but coupled with the high standard the previous series raised, it's ultra crappy. You go ahead and consider it the best of the series, frankly I don't don't care one bit, but if anyone wants to convince me into being even slightly close to H2/H3 you are just wasting your breath, so let's just leave it at that and not make this another "How good was H4" thread.

P.S.

That poll doesn't prove anything, less then 100 people voted and so far CH is the biggest place where H4 fans hang out I ever seen, so it's obviously biased.

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 11 Mar 2006, 22:43

That poll doesn't prove anything, less then 100 people voted and so far CH is the biggest place where H4 fans hang out I ever seen, so it's obviously biased
thats not true, in other poll done in Ubi site mostly guys voted that H4 wasnt bad but had a potential lost, dont know who started guess was sandrothemaster

the option "it plainly sucks" didnt won -actually didnt optained too many votes-, and that despite that that is the fortress of some H4 haters, lol

mostly ppl didnt like the poor AI, that was the main deception in the game

obviusly there are guys that have that mental state "i hate H4", but as i read also "the logic isnt on their side"

but, i agree, IMO as finished product H3 was better, but there isnt any reason to hate or fear H4, such overreaction of few guys results on this new boring game

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 12 Mar 2006, 02:39

Infiltrator wrote:
I'm deadly serious. Sucky games will be played no matter what, I see tons of games that are far worse then H4 and are still getting played. H4 by itself isn't as much of a crappy game, but coupled with the high standard the previous series raised, it's ultra crappy.
Now you see this is why the opinions on H-V are so diverse. I will admit to not playing the Demo, why? Simple except for its graphics there is nothing about the game in its current state that is compiling. The story line has is brand new with little connection to previous editions. The old heroes are gone; at least they were there in H-IV even if they did change worlds. The editor may or may not be complete. The SF issues real or otherwise led me to stay away and let others find out whether it’s truly safe. Besides that I have been suspicious of UBI ever since their releases of Pool of Radiance 2 (there’s a disaster, though patch 1.4 fixed most issues) and Warlord IV (also a disappointment to those fans me included). :mad: You attack H-IV because of its poor AI, a valid criticism, you can correct me but I thought the closed beta was mostly multiplayer and if so the AI could not have demonstrated if it is a worthy opponent or not and since a good AI is difficult to develop. Has the open beta shown the AI up to the task? I would like to know. 8|

So if you are dead serious about the fact H-V in its current pathetic state is better in your eyes than H-IV, :please: well you need glasses (joking) and you need to try playing some of the better fan made maps. :D They will give you a great deal of enjoyment. The game itself had many good points and when maps are properly designed they can be very enjoyable and challenging. H-V on the other hand is just eye candy from where I sit at this point and I do not buy eye candy. :tsdown:
Infiltrator wrote:
You go ahead and consider it the best of the series, frankly I don't don't care one bit, but if anyone wants to convince me into being even slightly close to H2/H3 you are just wasting your breath, so let's just leave it at that and not make this another "How good was H4" thread.
If you are that adamant about it and everyone has a right to their opinion, but expect others to jump in. If you are not interested in comment, it’s best then to keep it to yourself. Most of us that have played all of the series recognize the good in each game. I also agree HIII was the best of the line, but I enjoyed H-IV particularly as I said playing the fan-made maps. I am hopeful that H-V will also have good points, time will tell.
;)
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 12 Mar 2006, 13:02

jeff wrote: Now you see this is why the opinions on H-V are so diverse. I will admit to not playing the Demo, why? Simple except for its graphics there is nothing about the game in its current state that is compiling. The story line has is brand new with little connection to previous editions. The old heroes are gone; at least they were there in H-IV even if they did change worlds. The editor may or may not be complete. The SF issues real or otherwise led me to stay away and let others find out whether it’s truly safe. Besides that I have been suspicious of UBI ever since their releases of Pool of Radiance 2 (there’s a disaster, though patch 1.4 fixed most issues) and Warlord IV (also a disappointment to those fans me included). :mad: You attack H-IV because of its poor AI, a valid criticism, you can correct me but I thought the closed beta was mostly multiplayer and if so the AI could not have demonstrated if it is a worthy opponent or not and since a good AI is difficult to develop. Has the open beta shown the AI up to the task? I would like to know. 8|
First off, that's not a demo, it's a beta, two very different things. Some of the old heroes are back, and we don't know how many more will make it untill retail. In H4 they may have been there but they have been disgraced (Sandro portrait, anyone?). SF - I can tell you first hand that it is not an issue, it's an excuse for those who won't buy the original product.

I don't attack H4 because of poor AI, where did you get that idea? H3 had a pretty dumb AI as well, but it had so many qualities they simply overflown the shortcomings. H4 lacked not only AI, but combat grid, plastic-graphics, town design (ruined necro/inferno), creature design and a host of un-needed "innovations". Again I will say this is my own opinion, you may feel however you want about it, but just so we're clear I did NOT hate H4 because of the AI only.

As for the H5 AI, I can't say but in this unfinished state it's pretty close to what we had in H4. Time will tell.

So if you are dead serious about the fact H-V in its current pathetic state is better in your eyes than H-IV, :please: well you need glasses (joking) and you need to try playing some of the better fan made maps. :D They will give you a great deal of enjoyment. The game itself had many good points and when maps are properly designed they can be very enjoyable and challenging. H-V on the other hand is just eye candy from where I sit at this point and I do not buy eye candy. :tsdown:
I tried to love H4, couldn't do it no matter what. I gave up on it and I sure as hell am not going to give it another try. If you like it - have fun with it. As for the eye-candy - you didn't play the "demo" as you say, so you are in no position to criticize it as it's based on prejudice. (not to mention you are trying to compare a finished product and a beta product).
If you are that adamant about it and everyone has a right to their opinion, but expect others to jump in. If you are not interested in comment, it’s best then to keep it to yourself. Most of us that have played all of the series recognize the good in each game. I also agree HIII was the best of the line, but I enjoyed H-IV particularly as I said playing the fan-made maps. I am hopeful that H-V will also have good points, time will tell.
;)
You can jump in, but it will be futile, I'm just saying - save your breath, or keyboard, in this case. When I am intrested in comment I will post my opinion in a representing topic, and this is not one. Good luck with H4, and have lots of fun with it.

Agreed with your last sentence.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 12 Mar 2006, 15:46

Infiltrator wrote: First off, that's not a demo, it's a beta, two very different things. Some of the old heroes are back, and we don't know how many more will make it untill retail.
I stand corrected, but listening to many of those who played it, it sounded more like a alpha than a beta. I sure would like to see a list of the old heroes who are included, and I am not talking about pictures that resemble old heroes, or heroes who are mentioned in a new hero's biography but that are not actually present.
Infiltrator wrote: You can jump in, but it will be futile, I'm just saying - save your breath, or keyboard, in this case. When I am intrested in comment I will post my opinion in a representing topic, and this is not one. Good luck with H4, and have lots of fun with it.

Agreed with your last sentence.
You're right you can make a person hear but you can't make them listen. But hey as long as we stay friendly then the banter will remain fun. :D

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 12 Mar 2006, 18:04

I stand corrected, but listening to many of those who played it, it sounded more like a alpha than a beta. I sure would like to see a list of the old heroes who are included, and I am not talking about pictures that resemble old heroes, or heroes who are mentioned in a new hero's biography but that are not actually present.
As far as I remember there will be quite a few Haven guys who return (I'm not a Haven fan though so I don't know them well). We'll see I guess. I'd like Alamar to return to the Warlocks' side as I've grown somewhat attached to him in the early series. But if he's out, I'll adapt. Characters from the heroes series didn't leave a mark on me such as the ones from Warcraft or Starcraft, who have a lot more depth, imo.
You're right you can make a person hear but you can't make them listen. But hey as long as we stay friendly then the banter will remain fun. :D
True that :)

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 12 Mar 2006, 19:48

Infiltrator wrote: As far as I remember there will be quite a few Haven guys who return (I'm not a Haven fan though so I don't know them well). We'll see I guess. I'd like Alamar to return to the Warlocks' side as I've grown somewhat attached to him in the early series. But if he's out, I'll adapt. Characters from the heroes series didn't leave a mark on me such as the ones from Warcraft or Starcraft, who have a lot more depth, imo.
I agree heroes do not have the same impact perhaps as a carry over party in a game like Wizardry 8. The party I used in that game started with me in Wizardry 6 almost 10 years earlier. However there were several heroes I always hired whenever possible. Their biographies helped tie the story from edition to edition and while this is not a buy no buy decision after all not all heroes from H-III make the move to H-IV, I would like to see as many of the founding heroes appear as possible.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Mar 2006, 09:56

@nfiltrator
First:HIV had a combat grid,though it was poorly designed.But even so poorly designed,I find HIV BF far better then the current slaughter BF.

Second:cities couldve been designed a bit better,but theyre still far better then lets have all buildings upgraded,and lets have cities hanging from the ceiling.

Third:unnececary inovation?Oh come on!Youre saying that chaining is better than each unit having its own movement?Even withouth heroless armies this can be done.Are you saying that no loss battles are better than simretal?More strategic?Are you saying that no flaging of banks is better than flaging them?Are you saying that trails are better than FoW?

Zorlag
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zorlag » 13 Mar 2006, 11:32

Not going to buy because of the invasive copy-protection system being used. If it is removed later on then I'll reconsider (and save money on game price as well most likely).

Morannon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Morannon » 13 Mar 2006, 18:20

Little update on my part

I have SF on my computer now and so far no problem. If things continue like this then H5 is a sure buy for me.

crislevin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby crislevin » 14 Mar 2006, 14:53

As much as i like to, i can not decide for now, I am not crazy enough to get a new computer just for a game if that will be the case, when I played Heroes 2,3,4, the feeling of the story is so good, i really dont think 3D is the answer for the renewing of HoMM. Especially when this 3D-renewer seems going to be a hardware hog. Game is always a game, its for its spirit, look at Blizzard, their game is classic, and they do not chase the top-tech of present day, coz thats not the point of a game at all(well, maybe for shooting, racing game, top-tech is the right answer). If HoMM is going to require high-end sysreq just because they got a new clothes, I would rather go back to HoMM3 and get some new maps from CH.
There is always a balance, improvement (3D) and cost (a new computer), i dont think 3D-ization worth a total upgrate of my computer.

PS. if SF is dangerous, which I dont know yet, that sure will prevent me from buying too.

davidtaylorsmith
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby davidtaylorsmith » 14 Mar 2006, 19:55

I'm going to buy the gameand PRAY
"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." -Steven Wright

http://s2.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=39177

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 14 Mar 2006, 20:01

davidtaylorsmith wrote:I'm going to buy the game and PRAY
Praying ain't gonna do much good AFTER the game is released. It maybe needs to be done before. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Mar 2006, 20:04

How about you PRAY and then buy the game? It might work better.

EDIT: Ups, didn't see u there HP.
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 14 Mar 2006, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

davidtaylorsmith
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby davidtaylorsmith » 14 Mar 2006, 20:05

HodgePodge wrote:
Praying ain't gonna do much good AFTER the game is released. It maybe needs to be done before. :-D
Good point - I will PRAY now and then buy the game and then PRAY
"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." -Steven Wright

davidtaylorsmith
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby davidtaylorsmith » 14 Mar 2006, 20:19

Now if ony I could decide which Dragon I should pray to........

Return to “Heroes V-VI”