Bad story telling....

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
jworley1977
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Bad story telling....

Unread postby jworley1977 » 18 Mar 2010, 22:13

Ok...just finished Heroes 5 (just the original, not the expansions yet) and I've got to say that the storyline left a lot to be desired. I mean a good story is one of the things I look for in a good RPG.

Does the story continue with the expansions?? Does the story telling get any better (not holding my breath..lol)?

For sheer fun, I enjoyed the game (could prolly play it through a couple of times). Maybe I'll try some of the earlier games after this one.....

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 18 Mar 2010, 22:44

It does get marginally better, but don't get your hopes up. Plot holes remain abundant and the voiceover doesn't improve.

I am quite biased here, but seek H2-4 if you want the real storyline in this series. They have believable campaigns told through strong narrative rather than force-fed cutscenes, and are better written by a factor of several thousand.

Dstr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dstr » 18 Mar 2010, 23:43

@jworley1977
congrats for playing this GAME... h2 and h3 were the best among all of them... h5 better than h4 ... i lost years playing them... every time on impossible/heroic, also multiplayer. they are the best game ever! forget about the storyline...
don't forget about expansions, they're harder than the original game. ;) i rememeber very hard missions even in h4, especially the last one in 'the gathering storm' ;)

lotusreaver
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lotusreaver » 20 Mar 2010, 16:46

To echo Corlagon's sentiments, the story itself doesn't get better as a whole, but some of the more technical things (the writing and overall blocking of the scenes) improves marginally. One might argue that the story actually becomes more convoluted.

lumpoor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby lumpoor » 21 Mar 2010, 23:25

really? you liked the h3 storylines? I plaeyed H3 a long time but whenever I tried to play the campaign I grew tired before finishing the first level, and went back to single scenarios.
So I only heard the first scene in every story.

Dragon slayer was the only campaign whee I completed the first level. The story was very bland. A guy who wants to hunt down the famous strongest dragon in the world? Kinda generic, and the story wasn't that deep, really.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 22 Mar 2010, 12:18

You have to read all the text boxes in Heroes 3 and 4 to get their stories.

Many of the campaign stories in previous heroes games weren't original but they were well written.

They actually bother to develop the characters and give them motivations for what they're doing. There was also plenty of exposition that make the setting more believable. For example, one of the themes in Heroes 3 and 4 is the fact that the people are unhappy with the constant warfare and they want to see an end to it. Although, the stories for the Heroes 4 expansions get much worse.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 22 Mar 2010, 16:42

Dragon Slayer doesn't have a storyline. :P Try Armageddon's Blade or Playing With Fire. The writing in those two campaigns is copious, immersive, relevant to the gameplay and develops Antagarich to a higher standard than 11 campaigns did for Ashan.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Mar 2010, 08:25

You bring back memories.. These two were simply remarkable, I also enjoyed most from shadow of death either due to gameplay or storyline.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

lotusreaver
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lotusreaver » 27 Mar 2010, 07:12

Heroes III does have a pretty basic story, told through mission briefings and text boxes throughout levels. However, for Heroes Chronicles and Heroes IV, they actually hired a fantasy writer to provide paragraphs and paragraphs of text which I found fascinating.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Mar 2010, 11:39

My favourite stories are definitely those of HoMM IV. Reading them while listening to the gorgeous music is still one of my top favourite gaming experiences.

I think I'll have to repeat that soon.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 08 Apr 2010, 13:30

I'm a huge fan of Heroes Chronicles myself, the storyline at least. Tarnum's journey over all 8 campaigns is pretty cool.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”