Selecting magic schools and skills

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
jworley1977
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Selecting magic schools and skills

Unread postby jworley1977 » 08 Mar 2010, 18:53

OK....I'm new to the Might and Magic series (playing Heroes V atm). Kinda just winged my way through the first 3 campaigns, then ran into some trouble of the Warlock one, so decided to go back and do some research, figure out some of the game mechanics, etc, and I'm a little confused about something. Hoping you guys can help out.

I've played through the Warlock campaign a couple of times now. My thought was to build Raelag with a focus on destructive and light magic schools. The problem is that I never show anything allowing me to select the light magic school. When I level up the choice for abilites, skills, etc seem kinda random. Obtaining the destructive school wasn't a problem, but then choices forced me in conjuction school and then in logistics and the basic attack/defense skills.

Is there any way to direct your character or is it just a random roll of the dice?

I'm playing version 1.6 btw, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Mar 2010, 19:16

I think Warlocks have a very small % chance to get Light Magic... each class has it's own preferred skills it tend to get more often, i think with the Warlock it would be easier to get Dark Magic...

Oh, looks like i'm wrong, the other one is Summoning for teh Warlock: https://www.celestialheavens.com/550
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

kcwong
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Selecting magic schools and skills

Unread postby kcwong » 10 Mar 2010, 04:55

As ThunderTitan said, Summoning is the secondary spell school for Warlocks. And Summoning is indeed quite good for Warlocks, more so in the campaigns.

- Warlocks' huge Spellpower makes them very powerful, e.g. Phoenix.
- In the campaigns you sometimes have no town. Summoning provides a disposable and reusable meat shield for your real troops.
- Warlocks' troops are powerful, but most of them are fragile and all come in low numbers. Unless you are very lucky to get Light Magic in a skill hut, Summoning is a good replacement.

The only thing you have to watch out for is their steep MP costs - don't run out of MP before a big battle.
jworley1977 wrote:Is there any way to direct your character or is it just a random roll of the dice?
By my observation HoMMV keeps a separate random number generator for leveling up heroes. Which means simply by reloading won't give you new level up options. You will need to do things in a different way (e.g. have another hero level up first), or even restart the whole map.

But In a certain way, yes, you can direct your hero's growth. Since some abilities have prerequisites, you can restrict what options the game can give you.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 10 Mar 2010, 09:54

That said skip everything else and try destructive/warlock's luck/sorcery and enlightenment :) You won't even need summoning if you have good destructive.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Selecting magic schools and skills

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Mar 2010, 10:44

kcwong wrote: By my observation HoMMV keeps a separate random number generator for leveling up heroes. Which means simply by reloading won't give you new level up options. You will need to do things in a different way (e.g. have another hero level up first), or even restart the whole map.

But In a certain way, yes, you can direct your hero's growth. Since some abilities have prerequisites, you can restrict what options the game can give you.
As i recall reloading won't work on purpose, but there where ways around it... i was discussed at length in the forum.

But each hero class has it's own chances for skills to show up, learn those and you should be able to get an idea on what skills to take if they show up and which will just show up again so you can get them later.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

jworley1977
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jworley1977 » 11 Mar 2010, 20:42

Thanks for the insight guys. Looking through some of the faction guides has helped me understand a little better about the game as well. Looking forward to some of the other campaigns..:)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”