The difference between intrusive and non-intrusive graphics

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Toge
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

The difference between intrusive and non-intrusive graphics

Unread postby Toge » 07 Mar 2010, 19:46

Why does it seem like every HoMM release is even more massive and bloated than it's predecessor? For a game that is supposed to focus on analytical strategy, HoMM V puts way too much emphasis on showering eye candy on player's face.

Example of intrusive graphics: the town fly-by camera view. Nothing's cooler than flying by your mighty fortress... *every single time* you visit it? Dude, I've seen it once, do I need to watch it every time I want to go check something or build another building? The designers thought "okay so there should be a way to skip it" and gave player a way to skip it by pressing the left mouse button. Then on latest patch there's a button to disable the fly-by view altogether. This begs a question why was the damn thing added in the first place? I can already fly by my town with arrow keys and page down/up keys.

Another example is the fully configurable camera view in adventure map. How come the last 4 games in the series got by with static camera view, but here it's suggested that I should click the pile of ore on just the right angle and height. Miss-click your right mouse button and you're back to re-adjusting your camera. Bloody hell.

Third example of intrusive graphics is the randomly moving and zooming camera on fighting screen. Why is this needed? It's a good thing I don't suffer from epilepsy, lest this "feature" would prevent me from playing.

Example of non-intrusive graphics: a kingdom overview button which lists every important detail you'd want to know to make your decisions. One click and you can check what you want. Second click to exit the screen.

Games like Mario series are so loved because they make good use of non-intrusive graphics. Non-intrusive graphics are those that show you exactly what you want to see, when you want to see it. Too much exposure to intrusive graphics lead to mental burn-out.

I still think Heroes II was the best game of series.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 07 Mar 2010, 21:07

I don't see your concern everything you listed is optional, except for the kingdom overview thingy, but I never used it in h3 so I don't really care
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Mar 2010, 18:13

Like he said, most of those are optional...

And didn't they add a kingdom overview after we whined about it for a while?! I recall they did...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Toge
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Toge » 08 Mar 2010, 21:08

ThunderTitan wrote:Like he said, most of those are optional...

And didn't they add a kingdom overview after we whined about it for a while?! I recall they did...
- It makes me worried that good features were only added later and bad features were there right at the start.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Mar 2010, 08:59

Well you're pretty late on that one...

But at least you know that if we complain enough they eventually listen.

Another example is the fully configurable camera view in adventure map. How come the last 4 games in the series got by with static camera view, but here it's suggested that I should click the pile of ore on just the right angle and height. Miss-click your right mouse button and you're back to re-adjusting your camera. Bloody hell.
There they really screwed up by not making sure the default view allows you to do everything without having to move the camera once.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 21 Mar 2010, 18:51

Wow, this reminds me some things i did complain about already long ago.

A major problem comes with the 3D, which according to H5 developers is a standard of modern games and therefore a must. The virtual 3D reality, complex skill system, emphasis on having small number of towns - it all has turned HoMM5 into a RPG with some strategy elements. No more strategy game with RPG elements.

For strategy one needs a good overview. Not stand in the middle of a virtually real forest and see moss on trees, but see the shape and passability of the forest and beyond. Particularly one needs info about objects with strategic value. Meaning that terrain (passability) features as well as buildings and armies have to stand out from background "noise". In 3D, either real or pseudo3D, it would require the important objects to have larger size. Like the units tower over terrain in Civ 3 for instance. The "2D" used in H1-3 was even better, because it is in fact not 2D, but nD as each object can be viewed from different, most characteristic, informative, angles. Independent 2D layers can be combined easily into a picture where everything is represented in the best way to give the player access to information necessary for strategic planning.

Ah, i'll not go further this time. The point is that H5 was a typical game made to sell with its good look, not with (re)playability.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”