Rewrite of the original campaign?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Rewrite of the original campaign?

Unread postby Sikon » 09 Nov 2009, 17:30

I usually tend to defend the Heroes V original campaign against critics, but I can agree that it could have been done better. Especially seeing the expansions, which, while not ideal, are a great improvement. There are inconsistencies and plot holes you can drive an elephant-mounted Zehir through. [casts random spell]

The reason, I presume, is time constraints. The campaign was apparently one of the last things finished in the game, and there was just no time to polish it. For one, I remember Nival saying that all opening and ending cutscenes were supposed to have animation and lipsync [casts random spell], much like in the expansions or the few "advanced" cutscenes in the original game.

So I was thinking about writing an unofficial "novelization" of the original campaign. I'd leave the core story intact and introduce various retcons and changes, some of them in the light of the expansions - and try to make the characters less clueless and annoying, Isabel and AgRaelag first and foremost.

It's something I've long thought of doing, but I'm wondering how much interest there would be to such a story here.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 09 Nov 2009, 18:18

It would be nice to see any improvements, feel free to rewrite away as far as I'm concerned. I however hold that the Heroes IV campaigns would be far more deserving of a novelised conversion. They already have stories, character development and skilled plotting, you see. :creative:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Rewrite of the original campaign?

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Nov 2009, 19:11

Sikon wrote:but I can agree that it could have been done better.

And the forum understatement of this generation of this decade prize goes to...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 10 Nov 2009, 03:35

Corlagon wrote:I however hold that the Heroes IV campaigns would be far more deserving of a novelised conversion. They already have stories, character development and skilled plotting, you see. :creative:
And I'm not going to touch them, exactly because they're already good. :)

The expansions, on the other hand... basically have excuse plots, nowhere near the level of writing in the original game.

(Although seeing all the skepticism and snark towards the Heroes V campaign here really makes my hands drop.)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Nov 2009, 12:46

Relax, there's no story that good writing can't fix... you just have your work cut out for you...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 10 Nov 2009, 16:48

To be fair, with the H4exp/H5 vanilla comparison there is a difference to be duly noted, more specifically the fact that NWC's budget and staffing had hit the negatives whereas Ubi invested a full team of qualified storywriters and several million into the original H5 alone.

H4's campaigns were written by one guy... I guess too many cooks spoil the broth :lol: Good luck, Sikon.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Nov 2009, 17:14

Corlagon wrote: Ubi invested a full team of qualified storywriters
Says who... coz if those guys where qualified i'm the queen on england...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”