Necromancer and Upgradable Skeletons

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
O_RenyRen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Necromancer and Upgradable Skeletons

Unread postby O_RenyRen » 28 Feb 2006, 01:09

I haven't been keeping up with the HOMM V news, so I was hoping one of you guys could help me out. Will any hero with the Necromancy ability be able to raise the upgraded form of Skeletons (Skeleton Warriors?) from the dead after a battle? In all the previous games, only Skeletons could be raised, and if you've maxed out in creature types in your army, and you had the Skeleton Warriors and not the normal Skeletons, you couldn't get any Skeletons (and you couldn't downgrade the SW into normal Skeletons in an a Necropolis either). And as I'm sure that anyone who has ever played as a Necromancer before knows that those skeletons that you raise from the dead add up fast (I once managed to get zounds of skeletons in my army in HOMM II).
I was thinking that it'd be possible to get fewer upgraded skeletons than regular ones, of that it'd only be an artifact ability, or structure in a Necropolis (though I haven't seen any information hinting at this), or a certain level of an ability (or anything hinting at this either), or a combination of these, but I really hope that it's possible to raise the upgraded skeletons from the dead after a battle. This has always been one of my biggest peeves in the game and I hope that it gets resolved in HOMM V.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 28 Feb 2006, 01:34

Actually, in H3, if you had all slots filled and Skeleton Warriors without any skeleton, you'd raise skeleton warriors. In H4, expert Necromancers could raise Vampires. In H5, there's a skill that lets Necromancers raise Skeleton Archers instead of skeletons.

There's also an unfortunate bug that let's them raise approximately 100% of slain troops. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 28 Feb 2006, 03:31

In the current Heroes 5 beta there is a Necromantic ability that allows you to raise skeletal archers.

While powerful this ability isn't TOO bad because the skeletons are not a terribly strong unit 1-on-1 esp. compared to pixies, assassins, master gremlins, etc.

Once the bugs are fixed I think that the faction can be balanced fairly well. Honestly there will always be certain types of maps that give necros an unfair advantage compared to other factions.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2006, 03:42

Alamar wrote: While powerful this ability isn't TOO bad because the skeletons are not a terribly strong unit 1-on-1 esp. compared to pixies, assassins, master gremlins, etc.
Yeah, but once you get Skel Archers you can actualy not loose any of them against other level 1's or even 2's if you have enough of them!

@Bandobras Took:
About the Skels inH3, was that always the case, or did they do that in one of the Exps?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

O_RenyRen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby O_RenyRen » 28 Feb 2006, 04:27

Bandobras Took wrote:Actually, in H3, if you had all slots filled and Skeleton Warriors without any skeleton, you'd raise skeleton warriors. In H4, expert Necromancers could raise Vampires. In H5, there's a skill that lets Necromancers raise Skeleton Archers instead of skeletons.
Hmm, I don't remember that ever happening for me :(. Could that have been a 'bug' that was 'fixed' in the III version of Platinum Edition of HOMM?
I also haven't played IV in a long time, so I guess I just forgot that that happens in that game.
But ok, V has a skill that lets you get the Archers, so me fears are at rest. Although now I fear that my memory has a couple of bugs in it. Anyone have any insight on that, hehe?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Feb 2006, 06:27

ThunderTitan wrote: @Bandobras Took:
About the Skels inH3, was that always the case, or did they do that in one of the Exps?
as far as I know, it was always that way.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 28 Feb 2006, 14:57

ThunderTitan wrote:
Alamar wrote: While powerful this ability isn't TOO bad because the skeletons are not a terribly strong unit 1-on-1 esp. compared to pixies, assassins, master gremlins, etc.
Yeah, but once you get Skel Archers you can actualy not loose any of them against other level 1's or even 2's if you have enough of them!
True but if you get enough of almost anything then you won't take any losses. The key is to make sure that you never get too many skeletons.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2006, 16:18

True with the current retal system. But with Archers you would need less in order not to lose them than if they were melee Skeletons.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”