Am I the only one who really doesn't care about strategy?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
EvilNed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Am I the only one who really doesn't care about strategy?

Unread postby EvilNed » 09 Aug 2009, 21:33

I love the Heroes games. Infact, I love them all. I'm not one of them "HoMM5 sucks!" crowd, or even the "HoMM4 sucks!" crowd. I've had tremendous amount of fun playing them all, because they're all based on the same concept. Since they're all very similar, I see no logic in loving one game and hating another. They're pretty much the same, no?

Anyway, I understand that alot of people follow strategy and tactics. And while I like tactics, strategy is something that just takes away too much fun for me. But then again, I never play online. Takes too much time, and I don't have it. I like being able to save and load when I have some free time. And when I play singleplayer or Hot Seat I just wanna have a good ol' time. I like experimenting, taking my time and you know. Just fool around somewhat.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 09 Aug 2009, 21:59

I enjoy all of them as well, but Heroes 4 the least. My heroes always wind up black dragon food, and that just makes me feel like I've wasted the time leveling them. Nonetheless, I still enjoy the game (though not to the degrees of 1-3, 5) in hotseat (I only play hotseat really).

Each game is different, but fun in its own way.
Last edited by Shyranis on 10 Aug 2009, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 09 Aug 2009, 22:05

They're pretty much the same, no?
I think this is where divergent opinions emerge :) Some people don't just look a the 'big picture' and consider the differences more attentively.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Aug 2009, 08:02

I think you're confusing strategy with powergaming...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 10 Aug 2009, 10:36

I'm not sure what you mean ...

If you mean "strategy" as in the maneuvering and chaining and player-vs.-monster battles that make up 95% of the PvP game, then I can understand. The final battle, the "tactics" part, is much faster. There's less time to brood over a mistake because you can launch a counterstroke almost at once, your turn comes a lot quicker, and even if you lose you can always remake the game and play again - which is what makes Random Tactical Arena appealing. To play a H5 game to at top level takes a fair bit of concentration, and much of the game is pretty boring. If you like tactics, I'd suggest you play more Random Tactical Arena.

If you mean powergaming ... then probably the only thing more fun than winning is winning with an ostensibly underpowered strategy :D
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

EvilNed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EvilNed » 10 Aug 2009, 11:57

By strategy I pretty much mean the "hero runs around on the map" part, which is very fun, but I just never bother with strategy that much. It's like in WarCraft, or any such game. A good player will quickly pop up the buildings he needs and pumping units. While I more care about you know... Making it look nice. :p

By tactics I mean the tactical display. The battles between hero and hero or such stuff.

I find the game very fun, but yeah. As you might have suggested, I guess powerlevelling is just something I never really bothered with. I just want to have fun. And sure, winning is fun too...

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 11 Aug 2009, 16:34

I like defeating neutrals and collecting artifacts, you know exploring the map a lot more then running around chasing enemy heroes
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Aug 2009, 06:26

Unless you're randomly clicking around on the adv map you're still using strategy... and even then "randomly clicking" could be argue to be a strategy...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 14 Aug 2009, 09:15

Saying that all heroes games are about the same is an oversimplification and couldn't be father from the truth. Tactics and strategy aside gameplay varies to a good degree whether it is combat, features, skill system.

There are similarities of course but that's about it. And strategy is food for thought, adds depth to the game as well as replayability. It is the sole reason I still play H5 but of course had I been playing the AI I'd have stopped ages ago. Any strategic potential you might have had is wasted on a straightforward minded AI that will never show creativity or even a hint of intelligence. But against a human.. It is there where you truly appreciate what H5 is really about. If you see a replay of a battle between experts you will realize how beautifully designed this game is.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

EvilNed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EvilNed » 14 Aug 2009, 22:18

Elvin wrote:Saying that all heroes games are about the same is an oversimplification and couldn't be father from the truth. Tactics and strategy aside gameplay varies to a good degree whether it is combat, features, skill system.
Agree to disagree, but I can myself think of a vast number of statements that would be even farther from the truth. :P

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 17 Aug 2009, 18:28

I think strategy in Heroes games is a set of either/or decisions:

Do I want high-powered creatures or high-level spells?
Do I rush another player or should I turtle?
Can I leave one area undefended to apply more forces somewhere else?
Gold or experience?
etc.

In most cases, you can't legitimately do both sides of these questions until you're well into the game and victory is already likely. Now, if you truly don't enjoy the strategic aspect of the game, I wonder how you win consistently. (You probably do win a majority of your games or you wouldn't be having much fun.) Have you already answered all of these questions and simply play the same way every time? Are you playing by intuition, i.e., making all of these decisions without realizing it? Are you so good at Heroes that you can win without thinking?

I'm trying very hard to not sound incredulous here, but I find it amazing that someone could enjoy the Heroes games but dislike the strategy part.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 17 Aug 2009, 19:01

It is possible that he has misunderstood the definition of strategy and tactics.
- Metathron

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 17 Aug 2009, 22:24

Heroes certainly is a strategic game (and it's more strategic than Disciples II for sure), but most of the strategy isn't completely obvious.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 17 Aug 2009, 23:52

So much depends on creeping. Doubt many would risk taking a pack of archangels week 2 and succeed :) Though it is a pretty specific case according to hero, map, level, spells.. Once you learn how much you can push your limits there is little you cannot do, all it takes is knowledge and some luck.

So many shortcuts and exploits to use at your own discretion.
- Metathron

EvilNed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EvilNed » 18 Aug 2009, 12:32

Elvin wrote:It is possible that he has misunderstood the definition of strategy and tactics.
Actually, I'm quite aware of the meanings of strategy and tactics. There is a difference between the two. What I'm saying isn't that I dislike it, not at all, it's just that I... Like Haloswift mentioned, the exploration rather than the conquest.

I was just wondering if all people here are power-gamers or if there are a few around who just like to sit down and play for awhile and you know, collect artifacts, explore the map and such.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 18 Aug 2009, 13:21

EvilNed wrote:
Elvin wrote:It is possible that he has misunderstood the definition of strategy and tactics.
Actually, I'm quite aware of the meanings of strategy and tactics. There is a difference between the two. What I'm saying isn't that I dislike it, not at all, it's just that I... Like Haloswift mentioned, the exploration rather than the conquest.

I was just wondering if all people here are power-gamers or if there are a few around who just like to sit down and play for awhile and you know, collect artifacts, explore the map and such.
I am one of those players. I take my time with every map,take it easy, explore the whole map. If I see an enemy,he s mine,and hes going down!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Rife
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Rife » 18 Aug 2009, 14:30

I like both styles of play, and prefer a balanced mix between the two but 'hardcore' strategists are the only ones left playing multiplayer years after it's released so it sort of skews things that way. Add to that the fact that singleplayer AI trains new players to powergame due to it's insane rush mentality. There's simply no time to explore because you have to prepare for the computers' inevitable and miraculously strong and fast assault.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 18 Aug 2009, 14:50

I think the "insane rush mentality" is unique to H5. The AI players from the earlier games will support a more relaxed approach.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 18 Aug 2009, 16:36

Possibly but then I don't think H3 allowed for such crazy creeping with little army.
- Metathron

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 18 Aug 2009, 19:59

Six Efreet Sultans by day 8 is a pretty crazy creeping army.

Anyway...

I would imagine that a leisurely exploration approach to the game is pretty map-specific, no? For example, I've heard of one person spending a game year on Beltway from H2. But I've played many games where the AI would make your life miserable if you weren't aggressive enough, even on normal difficulty. Do you simply avoid those maps?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”