heroes V not showing me computer moves

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

heroes V not showing me computer moves

Unread postby Arzang » 10 May 2009, 05:30

the screen is entirely black when I'm waiting for the cpu turns. this would not have been a problem if it weren't for my leisurely attitude. Yesterday I played a game only to realize that my town had been taken the day after. which to me, seems entirely stupid. no popup, and no sign of the computer AT ALL. If I look at the map on my turn, sure I can see him, but I should get a heads up.

am I the only one suffering from this issue? and why does the tooltip say stuff like "del_d, num_n" and so forth when hovering over the "end day" button?

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 10 May 2009, 17:30

Hmm are you playing in Hot Seat? Because in that mode other player's turns (including AI) are blacked out so that you can't spy on the other player that way.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 10 May 2009, 19:20

Yes I once made the same mistake. Play in single player mode. Click 'show multiplayer maps' check box.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 11 May 2009, 06:01

I find this "idea" annoying like a f@ck. Why can I see it in single and not in multiplayer? In H3 you were also seeing the AI moving on your revealed part of the map, which I think is the most correct thing to be. I am praying for a mod about since I start playing multiplayer maps...

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 11 May 2009, 08:46

Yes, but generally, only the last player can see the AI move. I guess Ubival saw it as... "fairer" to have neither players (if more than one) see a single thing. However, those who play alone in HotSeat (like OP) got the dark problem. Good measure? I THINK NOT!!! :no:

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 11 May 2009, 17:14

I'm struggling to see the problem here.

If you are playing alone then there is no difference between single player and multiplayer mode except the black screeen. Play single mode and the issue is solved.

If you are playing with two people in hot seat on the same machine then it is questionable to include AI in such a situation. Play against each other.

I saw no mention of an allies match anywhere. In that case it could be annoying and problematic. But hey, two pairs of eyes are better than one.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 11 May 2009, 18:33

You can't play the same maps in Single and "Hot Seat". The black screen is extremely annoying. You have to ALWAYS pick out your eyes on the small map to check for other players, instead of just spot them between the terms. I find this one as one of the small cheats of the AI (in MP mode). It's just annoying. I like to do quick turns without waisting my time to scroll all around the map, checking about possible computor players invading my territory.

Two people on the same computor is a completely different thing, I am talking about the AI here.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 11 May 2009, 18:36

parcaleste wrote:You can't play the same maps in Single and "Hot Seat".

Hi Parcaleste. In fact you can. As I wrote earlier check off the 'show multiplayer maps' at the top of the single player map selection screen. This also shows fan maps as well as the mp missions that come with the game.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 11 May 2009, 21:06

Asheera wrote:Hmm are you playing in Hot Seat? Because in that mode other player's turns (including AI) are blacked out so that you can't spy on the other player that way.
is it just me or does this seem stupid? hot seat is played in the same room, so either I peek or I don't. It can't be black for him when he is playing his turn, right?
PhoenixReborn wrote:If you are playing with two people in hot seat on the same machine then it is questionable to include AI in such a situation. Play against each other.
questionable yes, but if they see it as a problem they need to realize that the subset of their fanbase that will recognize the issue is comprised of people at least of 13 years of age. If you are over 13 and you play a turn based strategy game and think so far as to question certain game mechanics, you are guaranteed to be intelligent enough to make your own decision. A simple check box would have been a simple effective solution to this problem. Seems like Nival took a lot of unnecessary measures in making this game, which could explain why some choices just strike me as odd and reignites the oh-so-awful "I should've made this game instead!" feeling.[/code]

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 12 May 2009, 01:33

Arzang wrote:is it just me or does this seem stupid? hot seat is played in the same room, so either I peek or I don't. It can't be black for him when he is playing his turn, right?
No but it turns black when you end your turn and a message "It is Player X's turn" appears. Otherwise there is no way any of you could avoid taking a peek, even unintentional.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 12 May 2009, 21:00

Never noticed this one, thanks. Still, I think this double standard is stupid.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 24 May 2009, 07:32

Asheera wrote:No but it turns black when you end your turn and a message "It is Player X's turn" appears. Otherwise there is no way any of you could avoid taking a peek, even unintentional.
it was like this way back when as well, right? I understand them trying to make some good but IMO it just backfired.

in any case, thanks to everyone for all the answers.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”