Heroes 6 wishlist (draft)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 08 Jan 2010, 03:41

Haven't played H4 or H5, so some of this is probably going to be a bit off:
Caravans - I like the idea of being able to send creature to my big attack heroes without having to waste 2-3 smaller heroes doing it.
War Machines - Let us control them right from the get-go, because it really makes no sense otherwise, you can order 'dragons' around, but not the FATent or the Ballista?
Battlefields - Make them bigger, give us at least a chance to employ some real tactics.
Retreats - Give us some way to do it without sacrificing our whole army.
Grail - Replace it with Ultimate Artifacts like in H2, it increases replayability.
Creature Experience - Like in WoG, except that it only boosts stats.
Heroes - As Variol said, make different heroes available in different towns.
Diplomacy - Creatures of your own town are even more likely to join you than creatures of other towns.
Campaigns - Give us side campaigns (eg, Spoils Of War from H3), and maybe a few long ones as well (eg, Armageddon's Blade from H3).
Last edited by MattII on 02 Feb 2010, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jan 2010, 09:35

MattII wrote: Caravans - I like the idea of being able to send creature to my big attack heroes without having to waste 2-3 smaller heroes doing it.
Actually caravans refers only to sending creatures between towns.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 08 Jan 2010, 17:43

ThunderTitan wrote: Actually caravans refers only to sending creatures between towns.
LikeI said, I haven't played H4 or H5, was this ever possible?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jan 2010, 20:07

In H4 creatures could travel by themselves and in H5 there was a spell to teleport them to you from the nearest town. Neither way was very satisfying imo (the spell basically paralysed your hero, so hero chains where more effective).

Maybe if creatures without a hero where not allowed to attack, but just move and defend themselves... hmmmm.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 11 Jan 2010, 10:33

Also, how do people feel removing level-up learning of new skills, but having way more Witch Huts around, and maybe a few Universities (like the ones from H3)?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 11 Jan 2010, 13:12

I think that would result in every hero being about the same in terms of skills. You might be able to make it work if a Witch Hut gave a random skill to each hero instead of one skill chosen randomly at the start of the game.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 11 Jan 2010, 19:24

Okay, what if towns themselves gave a couple of skills (selected semi-randomly at the start of the game) would that make things a bit better?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 14 Jan 2010, 17:23

I guess I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. A choice of random skills has been offered at level up since H2. What do you hope to gain by removing this choice?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 14 Jan 2010, 20:25

Well I suppose it wouldn't be so bad in H4-5 where you have few skills but they're all useful, but I really disliked it in H3 where I got a Knight on a land map with 5 skill-slots fully upped, and the next level level-up gave me a choice of Eagle Eye and Navigation when I was really after Pathfinding or First Aid.

I also find it unrealistic (yes I know this is a fantasy game, but even so) that a hero can learn a skill without help, but can't (as I haven't mentioned yet, but do want) learn said skill from another hero.

Sathasarus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

My Wish List Item

Unread postby Sathasarus » 14 Jan 2010, 20:53

Barbarians get some way to regenerate themselves...

vampirism item

skill that lets u cast ress on them
something

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 14 Jan 2010, 23:31

MattII wrote:Well I suppose it wouldn't be so bad in H4-5 where you have few skills but they're all useful, but I really disliked it in H3 where I got a Knight on a land map with 5 skill-slots fully upped, and the next level level-up gave me a choice of Eagle Eye and Navigation when I was really after Pathfinding or First Aid.

I also find it unrealistic (yes I know this is a fantasy game, but even so) that a hero can learn a skill without help, but can't (as I haven't mentioned yet, but do want) learn said skill from another hero.
Wouldn't it be simpler to just let you pick whatever skill you wanted at each level? Then you could build the hero you wanted every time. Ubisoft could even outsource the skill balancing to the fans. Just wait for enough people to post on forums which skills are best in combination and which skills no one picks, then patch accordingly.

This was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but you do have a valid concern. It's wrong that any skill could be utterly useless (e.g., Navigation on a land map). That's the core problem that needs addressing.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Edwintje
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Edwintje » 15 Jan 2010, 00:20

Isn't that where the map-editor comes in handy?
You could disable the skills, you don't want for a certain map.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 15 Jan 2010, 07:54

Kristo wrote:Wouldn't it be simpler to just let you pick whatever skill you wanted at each level? Then you could build the hero you wanted every time. Ubisoft could even outsource the skill balancing to the fans. Just wait for enough people to post on forums which skills are best in combination and which skills no one picks, then patch accordingly.
Too much choice, at least if it means learning new skills rather than improving the ones you have, but I'll agree if it is only for upping the ones you already have.

You also mentioned earlier about the Witch's Hut giving random skills. Now this I disagree with only because the skills in Witch's Huts are expected to remain the same through the game, but if there were to be a new building, (Journeyman's Rest maybe) I could quite agree, a building that can give you one or two random skill choices, perhaps for a cost, and the skills change every week, yeah, I can go along with that.
This was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but you do have a valid concern. It's wrong that any skill could be utterly useless (e.g., Navigation on a land map). That's the core problem that needs addressing.
Actually, I believe the problem was partly solved in H5 by the reduction in the number of skills, and making all the 'useless' skills (the ones that aren't worth a proper slot) perks. Of course, they then managed to botch it up with the ultimate perk (really hard to get, but game-changingly powerful, and if you 'did' go for it you have to take certain skill choices).
Edwintje wrote:Isn't that where the map-editor comes in handy?
How do you do that in a campaign?

Edwintje
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Edwintje » 15 Jan 2010, 10:42

MattII wrote:
Edwintje wrote:Isn't that where the map-editor comes in handy?
How do you do that in a campaign?
I don't know, I thought you were talking about standalone maps.
I guess, you'd have to find the campaign-file, but I can only find the randomly generated maps.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 15 Jan 2010, 17:17

Edwintje wrote:I don't know, I thought you were talking about standalone maps.
I guess, you'd have to find the campaign-file, but I can only find the randomly generated maps.
Pal, this is a H6 Wishlist, not a conversation about what can be done in H5.

Edwintje
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Edwintje » 15 Jan 2010, 20:58

MattII wrote:
Edwintje wrote:I don't know, I thought you were talking about standalone maps.
Pal, this is a H6 Wishlist, not a conversation about what can be done in H5.
Yeah, my bad. I'm still trying to figure out what happened here.
Sorry for the inconvenience, really didn't mean to.

jigsaw2008
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jigsaw2008 » 28 Jan 2010, 12:37

I think that H4 is the best game of the Heroes series. The strategies that someone can develop exceed the ones of the others series. In Heroes III or V it is difficult for an army that is less powerful than another to win. For example in H4 an army that is 10 times weaker than in another army can win!!! In H5 I think it is impossible.

My suggestion for H6 is to develop according to H4 with some differences I refer to.
1) The skill system to be like H5 (skill system of H5 is excellent!!!)
2) The classes of the Heroes to be like H3 (2 classes/castle)
3) The combats to be as H4 AND not as H3 or H5 with the exception of siege battles where the moats to do damage and to be present arrow towers like H3 or H5.
4) The spell system to be like H5 and to add more spells. In H5 the spells are too few.
5) The heroes can act as H4 in armies with creatures or individually and to have special abilities like H5 and advanced hero class like in H4.
6) It is obvious that according to all I said there will not be the H3 or H5 primary stats (attack, defence, power, knowledge). It will be the H4 system so that a hero can affect the whole army only in some cases and occasions and not always like H3 or H5.
7) It will be great to keep the individual town bonuses of H5.
8) I think the system of building towns in H5 with levels prerequisities delays the advancement of the game and causes boredom. So remove the prerequisities is useful.

I'm sure there are many other changes to be done but I can't think about them for now.

Edwintje
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Edwintje » 28 Jan 2010, 15:59

If they keep the warcries for Barbarians, it would be nice to see a few more of those as well.
Also some shrine-like objects on the adventure map, where you can learn them.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 28 Jan 2010, 18:49

I think it also makes sense to have 3 creature sizes. One square for infantry size, 2 for horse, mounted, bears and boars and 4 for devils, titans, dragons and the like.

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 13 Feb 2010, 08:00

Personally I'm not in favour of keeping unique skills, it separates the heroes too much, and there were a fair-few heroes in H3 who would do well in any faction (Kyrre for example, or Mullich, or Crag Hack, or any of a dozen or more others).

I also think that some of the skills shouldn't be limited to a single faction (like Artificier for example), but should be available to any faction.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”