GotP Campaign Idea (as posted in the mod forum)

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

GotP Campaign Idea (as posted in the mod forum)

Unread postby winterfate » 23 Apr 2007, 02:58

Hi guys!

I started posting campaign ideas I had for the GotP storyline. Now that the mod has an official forum here as well, I'd like to post my ideas here too, as I list them there, so you can see them here too! ;)

Here goes (feedback is highly appreciated!):

Campaign 1 (Sylvan/Haven): Ghosts of the Past (;))

Mission 1: The Relevation

Summary: A few years have passed since Jenova's arrival in Ashan. Since then, rumors of strange appearances have been murmured all over the land. Some even say that the Lich King Sandro has returned. Foreign to all of this, Jenova is tasked by King Findan to scout the borders of the Sylvan lands. There have been reports of Sanctum troops attacking nearby towns.

Mission 1 End Summary: Having completed her recon mission, Jenova meets a small Sanctum army in battle and defeats it. She takes their hero prisioner, and returns to Syris Thalla to relay the info to King Findan and to interrogate the prisioner.

Mission 2: Defiance

Summary: The interrogations have not yielded any relevant information. All that is known about the prisioner is that he belongs to the Red Brotherhood, a religious sect that has overthrown the Griffin Empire, Irollan's age-old allies, even in the face of the still recent strain to the alliance (Nicolai the Vampire Lord :D). They now march to Sylvan lands to find the Bracer of Elrath, an artifact of inmense power. They are capturing all towns in their path, and converting or killing the inhabitants. Jenova has been tasked with defending the last remaining friendly town in the area, and recapturing the other towns.

Notes for the Scenario: This can be one of those classic "defend the capitol" type of maps. You have to recapture the Sylvan Towns, while keeping your own town safe. When all Sylvan Towns are recaptured, you are given a week to prepare against a Sanctum attack. This attack will be nearly impossible to stave off, but you will get reinforcements from none other than Sir Christian. (hey I have to give the other heroes some coverage too right? ;))

Mission 2 End Summary: After successfully fending off the Sanctum attack, with help from Christian, Jenova decides to go find the Bracer of Elrath before the Sanctum armies can find it. Christian, not having a proper home anymore, decides to accompany Jenova.

Mission 3: Trinket of a Dragon God

Summary: Jenova and Christian ride together to find the Bracer of Elrath, a valuable weapon against Agadar, Elrath's brother. The Sanctumites know this too though, and they are sending armies of their own to find the artifact. As fate would have it, an old enemy is about to show his face, and make this whole conflict a bit more interesting.

Note: The "old enemy" is Sandro ;).

Other Scenario Notes: This mission has a time limit, which can be scaled depending on the map size. There are three players in this level...you the Sylvan and Haven leading player, the Sanctum, and the Necromancers led by Sandro.

Mission 3 End Summary: Ill comfort has it that the Sanctumites couldn't get the Bracer, for Sandro was the one to ultimately gain them. Who knows what evil purposes he may have for them? Jenova and Christian know this foe well, and thus leave him to his own devices. For now, the Sanctumites are more of a danger. So, Jenova and Christian march forth to Talonguard.

Mission 4: The Sanctum's Crusade

Summary: Jenova and Christian must now incapacitate the leader of the Sanctum faction, King Alexei. This is easier said than done, since the Sylvan have little influence this far from Irollan, and the few Imperial Haven Troops remaining are barely able to fend off Sanctum scouting parties. The two heroes must now rally all remaining forces in a desperate effort to defeat the Sanctum in their own, conquered, lands.

Mission Notes: Tough, just tough. I expect this level to be like that one Dungeon Campaign level back in Heroes 5 original (where everyone was complaining it was impossible even at normal ;). I played that one map about 6 times myself...lol). You have one Haven town...and the Sanctum has several, so it may best to rush Alexei head on with as many troops as you can muster.

Mission 4 End Summary: Jenova and Christian capture Alexei. They return to Syris Thalla to plan their final push against the Sanctum.

Mission 5: The Shattered Empire

Summary: As Jenova and Christian meet in Findan's war room for final preparations, Sanctum forces free King Alexei and attack Syris Thalla. The attacking party is small and quickly defeated. Logic points to Sandro as the perpetrator of this act; it is highly unlikely that the Sanctumites be able to sneak any amount of troops past the Sylvan Scouts around the Capitol. Jenova and Christian thus must redirect their efforts against Sandro. Sandro's motivations are unclear. Why would he aid a potential enemy? The reinstation of the Griffin Empire must, sadly wait, as the two heroes rally the forces originally intended for the Sanctumites, and attack Sandro's base camp near the northern border of Irollan.

Mission 5 End Summary: The attack is successful, but doesn't affect Sandro's plan in the slightest. The focus of the storyline is now on Sandro, the Lich King.

Campaign 2 (Necropolis): Portents of the Dark One

Mission 1: The Sacrifice

Summary: Having aided the rescue of King Alexei to further his devious ends, Sandro must now ride to the town of Flamegust, where King Alexei is to stay while the Sanctrum forces decide on a course of action. Once there, Sandro must convince Alexei to join him...by any means.

Mission Notes: There are two enemy Sylvan towns in between Flamegust and your Necropolis. You do not have to capture them to win this scenario.

End Summary: Having reached Flamegust, Sandro captures King Alexei (he's been getting captured a lot, eh? :)) and takes him to his town to be sacrificed for the revival of the Dark One, an ancient avatar of inmeasurable power. The other catalyst for the revival, the Bracer of Elrath is already in his possesion.

Mission 2: Gazidahn of the Netherworld

Summary: The revival is complete! The Dark One, Gazidahn, arises to serve his new master. Sandro now orders Gazidahn to destroy everything between Iomadloc, his capitol, and Syris Thalla. No more will Sandro stand for the defiance of the goody two shoes...especially if they are from the extinct world of Erathia.

Mission Notes: This is a razing mission (when you capture a town, it self-destructs; you destroy it). Gazidahn, of course, must not perish.

End Summary: As Gazidahn arrives at the border of Syris Thalla, a clash of lightning stops him. The caster of that spell is none other than Solmyr, who has somehow appeared out from the middle of nowhere to protect the Sylvan capitol. Having completed his main mission, Gazidahn returns to Iomadloc.

Mission 3: Hunting the First Mage

Summary: Sandro, upon hearing the news of Solmyr's interference, decides to go, along with Gazidahn, to attack Zehir's forces at the Capitol of the Silver Cities. However, Agadar and his Sanctrum followers are not pleased with what has happened to Alexei, and they decide to find Sandro to return the favor.

Mission Notes: This is a 2 on 1. Even though the Wizards and the Sanctrum are not allies, they make an exception for the common cause of destroying you (Sandro). The main objective is to find Zehir.

End Mission: Sandro and Gazidahn lay siege to the capitol and capture Zehir. It seems that Zehir is also in possession of Markal's Skull, an artifact of great power supposedly infused with the energies of Markal himself. Sandro decides to forge a helmet out of it and puts it on. Markal then grants him his energy and spellpower.

Mission 4: Anarchy and Demise

Summary: After a long and merciless interrogation on the magical arts, Sandro slays Zehir and decides to finish what he had sent Gazidahn to do (destroy Syris Thalla). The undead forces are rallied, increased ten-fold by the powers of the Anarchy Casque (Markal's Skull fashioned into a helm :)).

End Mission: Syris Thalla is razed to the ground and King Findan dies an honorable death fighting to the last to protect his homeland. No signs of Jenova or Christian were found, so Sandro decides to return to his capitol to plan the next strategies.

Mission 5: Agadar's Wrath

Summary: As the inmense undead forces return to Sandro's capitol, reports of large contigents of forces, led by Agadar himself, force Sandro to prepare for what may be one of the toughest battles anyone has faced, in any world.

Mission Notes: There will be several waves of Sanctrum heroes attacking one at a time, about weekly. About 7 waves later, there will be a one week break, and then Agadar himself (he's a hero), will arrive with a large army to attack the capitol. This must be beaten to complete the mission.

End Mission: Sandro's army narrowly beats the forces of Agadar. However, the powers of this Dragon God are great. Agadar destroys Gazidahn and imprisions Sandro in a special prison called the Eldritch Lamp. With the greatest threat to his forces eliminated, Agadar decides to find Jenova and Christian to punish them for their impertinence.

And this is as far as I've gotten on the mod forum, so here it is...copy-pasted for your reading pleasure/feedback/suggestions. ;)
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 24 Apr 2007, 19:13

I just wanted to say that if there should be an added campaign in the GotP it should have the comic's story line IMHO.

If you plan to add other campaigns the idea above is a good one aswell (see *), just thought that if you guys wanted to name the mod after the comic, you'd use the comic for it's story...

*though it would bring loads extra work because of the artifacts :)
Grah!

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 24 Apr 2007, 19:49

Thelonious wrote:I just wanted to say that if there should be an added campaign in the GotP it should have the comic's story line IMHO.

If you plan to add other campaigns the idea above is a good one aswell (see *), just thought that if you guys wanted to name the mod after the comic, you'd use the comic for it's story...
Before Vokial paints himself in a corner, I'd like to say something... as the author of the comic.

I doubt the mod was inspired by the comic. In fact, Vokial simply mentioned he'd like to call his project after my work - if I didn't mind (needless to say, I was honored). I don't think the similarity goes (or should go) beyond the title.

I understand that both the comic and the mod originated from the same idea voiced by the community: Nival did revamp the series but failed to restore its glory. Sure, we got the eye candy and the skill wheel - but most of us miss old faces, such as Gelu, Sandro, Solmyr... After all, "Heroes" has always been about... well, heroes. :D

When Angelspit saw my drawings and asked me if I would do a comic book based on "Heroes", the storyline seemed obvious; it was a unique opportunity to revisit Erathia, at least in the funny papers.

I believe Vokial and his team are doing the same thing - fixing things which they don't like in the latest sequel... and mixing the best of both worlds.

The name was rather generic in the first place.

P.S. The plot of the comic would be enough for one map of a campaign anyway... ;)
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 25 Apr 2007, 14:22

Well then I'd suggest adding the story in a map. I don't mean that it should be the 'one and only' campaign, surely not, the more campaigns, the better, but I think it would be fitting to add it to the modd.
Grah!

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 25 Apr 2007, 15:43

Thelonious wrote:Well then I'd suggest adding the story in a map. I don't mean that it should be the 'one and only' campaign, surely not, the more campaigns, the better, but I think it would be fitting to add it to the modd.
I wholeheartedly agree. In addition, the modding team should pay me the royalties - either in gold or scantily clad ladies.
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Vokial
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vokial » 25 Apr 2007, 17:00

Vlaad II wrote: In addition, the modding team should pay me the royalties - either in gold or scantily clad ladies.
I can't promise you gold but you have no problem for the scantily clad ladies :tsup:

Now seriously - We must finish part of the changes and then start the campaign, also we need more mapmakers (the current number of mapmakers in the team is 0) But I'll search for mapers when the beta version is ready...

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 26 Apr 2007, 00:11

Vokial...what do you think of my campaign idea? :)

Any chance part of it might make it to the mod storyline? :oex:

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 26 Apr 2007, 18:55

Vlaad II wrote:
Thelonious wrote:Well then I'd suggest adding the story in a map. I don't mean that it should be the 'one and only' campaign, surely not, the more campaigns, the better, but I think it would be fitting to add it to the modd.
I wholeheartedly agree. In addition, the modding team should pay me the royalties - either in gold or scantily clad ladies.
What about golden scantily ladies, or wait... :|
Grah!

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 21 May 2007, 00:10

Thanks for the feedback Thelonious! ;)

Here's a campaign update! :D

Mixed Campaign: Impending Chaos

Mission 1: An Unlikely Event

Mission Summary: Agadar musters his forces to comb the borders of Irollan and Talonguard, the most likely hiding place of Jenova and Christian. However, he will soon discover that even a Dragon God can be bested...

Mission Objectives:

Find Jenova and Christian and capture them.
Protect your main base at all costs.

Additional Notes: Sandro's forces seek to take the Eldritch Lamp from Agadar to release their master and thus attack Agadar's forces. Also, Sylvan forces hinder the Sanctrum forces in their objectives.

End Summary: Agadar's forces find Jenova and Christian, but suffer a huge setback; Gazidahn somehow revived and managed to field an army to steal the Eldritch Lamp from Agadar. If Sandro were to discover how to use the powers of the Lamp, then the momentum of these battles may favor the Necromancers.

Mission 2: Deja Vu

Mission Summary: Scouts have reported that Gazidahn has managed to release Sandro from the Eldritch Lamp. What is worse is that Sandro has corrupted the powers of the Lamp and ascended to demigod status. He is now Lord and Sire over the Undead, and as such, will now have the ability to control the vast undead forces spread all over the land. In the interrogation room, Jenova and Christian are not revealing any relevant information about the locations of the Sylvan and Haven rebels, so Agadar decides to go attack Sandro before all of his reinforcements arrive.

Mission Objective:

Defeat Sandro within 3 months.

End Summary: The battle between Sandro and Agadar is a masterpiece. Unable to repeat his earlier feat of imprisionment, Agadar is forced to fight one of the toughest fights of his existence; against a worthy foe in the demigod lich Sandro. The final attacks combine and create a black hole that sucks both Sandro and Agadar into an unknown dimension.

Mission 3: Unknown Dimension

Mission Summary: Agadar and Sandro are now trapped in different parts of the Zaeran Existence, a strange dimension where time and space intermingle freely and sanity is a luxury. Named after the mad sage Zaeran, this dimension has claimed many victims, but never a Dragon God and a demigod lich king, and definitely not at the same time.

NOTE: The POV is now back on Sandro...you will see why.

Mission Objectives:

Escape the Zaeran Existence before Agadar does.

End Summary: Sandro narrowly beats Agadar out of the Zaeran Existence. The inmense power surge that follows locks Agadar into that sorrowful place for all eternity...at least, so it would seem.

Only two more missions to finish my storyline...but I leave it here for now, to see what you guys think the ending should be...

Feedback is, as always, welcomed and appreciated! :D

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 02 Jun 2007, 00:38

The final two missions of my storyline are here...enjoy!

Feedback is, as always, welcome! ;)

Mission 4: Return of the Dragon God

Summary: After narrowly escaping the Zaeran Existence, Sandro musters up a legion of Undead forces to attack Talonguard, taking advantage of the confusion of the recent events. The Sanctrum forces are badly outnumbered, but an ironic help will arrive soon...

Map Notes: In-game cutscene showing Sylvan forces arriving to aid the Sanctrum forces. In exchange for the aid, Jenova and Christian are liberated to hold the line against Sandro's forces.

End Summary: As Sandro captures Talonguard, Agadar's summoners manage to bring him back from the Zaeran Existence and prevent the Undead from capturing more towns.

Mission 5: The Death of a Power

NOTE: I really liked the whole "two ending" concept. So, that's how it'll work.

Concept Summary: You can choose Sandro's side of the conflict or Agadar's side. By choosing one side, your objective is to recapture all towns on the enemy side and slay their main hero (Sandro or Agadar).

Mission Summary: The battle is at a standstill. Even though Sandro has the numbers advantage, in both towns and units, Agadar has more heroes to lead his fewer troops with. Who will win this never ending conflict? Only you can break this standstill!

In-game notes: Sandro should have more towns and units, but less strong heroes. The opposite should be true of Agadar.

End Good Summary: Agadar's forces crush Sandro's massive hordes, one at a time. Upon having reached the Necromantic Capitol, Agadar himself puts an end to Sandro's power once and for all. After this, Elrath arrives to settle his differences with Agadar once and for all. They leave and talk like civilized dragon gods (:tongue:). For the short term, Jenova and Christian are left with complete leadership over the Sanctrum forces, pending Agadar's (or Elrath's perhaps?) return.

End Evil Summary: Sandro's forces finish the culling. No one remains after the destruction is complete. Jenova and Christian lie dead, having died gloriously, fighting for their new homeland. Sandro reaches Agadar's home base and destroys him himself. Sandro's powers now rival those of a Dragon God himself.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 15 Jun 2007, 09:28

It's good, yet I wonder whether a god could actually be defeated by an undead.
Other than that, these could be a great campaigns.

ok, let me try, just one campaign though.

Mission 1 - The promised land
During an ancient praising ritual of Asha, secretly somewhere far away from the seven cities, a young wizard named Soldar watches from a distance. He never understood why his gods had to be worshiped secretly.
He walks away. and sets out to find a land where there is no shame in praising his God.

This needs to be a large map and the player needs to pass past several highly guarded Academy cities while not getting cought. His objective will be to get to a portal which has sprung up from nowhere.

Mission 2 - The Old world
Soldar arrives in Axeoth. Here he starts with building a temple for Asha.

Mission objective, get recources. 1 mine of each recource and enemy heroes taking those over as soon you you flag one. So you've got to aim on recource piles and quests for your objective.

Mission 3 - No answer
Soldar prais and prais to Asha, yet there is no answer. Then someone enters his temple. Solymr askes Soldar what he's doing here. Soldar explains and then Solymr tells Soldar about their gods. They see the similarities with their gods and Solymr tells that their god has not answered prair either.

You've got to go out in the world and look for clues what has happened to the great god of Order/Asha. You'll find a lone Rakshasa fairly upset.

(in game cutscene (of really high significance))
The Rakshasa explains that he was a messenger from the Order God, who's name is actually Asha, but lately she has changed. She became more and more obsessed with the dead.

You need to find the Celestial Gates. Ofcourse a whole armies of angels and rakshasa await you to hinder you from going to heaven without being dead.

Mission 4 - The twisted God
Asha is no longer herself but a twisted version of herself, this is because Necromancers have worshiped her in that way and no one had worshiped her in the ordinary way.

You have to capture a town and hold it for some time, so you can purify it. In the town lies the core of Asha.

Mission 5 - The silver cities
You have to go to the silver cities and make sure that the wizards start believing in supernatural gods again, and fear/love them to worship them.

Capture the Silver Cities.

Mission 6 - Restoring Order
After you've taken over the silver cities and made sure that people can worship Asha again, Asha did you a small favor to show her divine power. She weeps over the capitol and it prospers more than ever. Most Wizards still do not believe in the divine as being 'divine' yet respect the power of Asha and pray to her to show that respect.
Still all is not yet well as it may seem; the Necromancers have built a huge army with the blessing of the twisted Asha.

Defeat the necromancers.

And that's it.
Grah!

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 16 Jun 2007, 00:11

Interesting campaign concept Thelonious! :)

So, ye think the wizards will worship a god, eh? ;)

Very original thoughts. All in all, I like it!
Good work! :D

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 17 Jun 2007, 18:34

Thank you.

And as said in the concept, they won't really worship the gods, they pay their respects.

I was just thinking whenever that campaign editor comes out and the mods we could be working on those campaigns (if I've got a computer that'll be able to run HoMM V)
Last edited by Thelonious on 19 Jun 2007, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Grah!

Vokial
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vokial » 18 Jun 2007, 08:23

Very nice ideas here :) Great initiative!

First must we must finish the basic part of the MOD, and then we'll be able to start the camp :), also we're searching for some mapmakers guys :D

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”